Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
CraigC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-19          77270

Just wondering if anybody has tried John Deere's verticle exhaust stack? Dealer told me it would blow smoke right in your face, I told him tractors have stacks and they don't wear turf tires.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77271

Haven't tried it but I'm having a hard time imagining why someone would want to. If nothing else it hurts forward visibility. What are the advantages? ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-19          77272

Why would you want a vertical stack ?
Tree limbs hit it, water more likely to enter from rain, and in my opinion the noise is more noticable than the underhood design when mowing for long periods. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-19          77273

Just thought of one other thing I don't like about the vertical stack.
Most of the scratchs on the hood of my JD 850 are from hitting the stack when flipping the hood open. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77274

The vertical stack is the only way to go. When mowing or working into the wind I always got some exaust odor from that stupid pipe under the front.

I do very rarely now get a whiff. There is no noticeable noise increase.

Yup tree limbs do touch it. Big deal!

I can only go 13-14 mph flat out so I'm not too concerned about something running out in front of me and missing it.

Yup if water gets down it, it will slobber but that washes off.

The hardest part was cutting the hole in the hood.

And BTW my little baby tractor wears turfs, it works in the woods, it works on wet fields, it works in snow and ice, it loads gravel, it runs my BH, it works every where. Oh yeah and it still mows 2 acres on Sunday afternoon.

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-19          77282

Harey, I think the issue of water going down the vertical stack is not so much the mess it makes when you start it up but it enough water is allowed to go down the stack; it can enter the engine cylinder through a potentially open exhaust valve and can have dissasterous consequences such as bending a connecting rod or worse. In machinery that sets for long periods, this can also freeze or make the engine become stuck. There should be a flapper on the end of the exhaust stack pipe to prevent water from entering. If one is not installed; I STRONG recommend you install one. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-19          77284

My only experience with stacks came when my kids were toddlers. At Christmas time I would put the empty wrapping paper tube down their shirts from the neck opening down their back and into their diapers. Then they could proudly crawl or walk around with a vertical exhaust that stuck up about a foot above their heads. Unfortunately it didn't solve the odor under the hood problem.
Dave ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-02-19          77286

I don't see the water problem being an issue at all because my tractor will never sit outside. I don't see much of a vision issue from a 2" pipe and as far as your hood rubbing your muffler when you open or close the hood, ther must be something wrong. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
Billy

2004-02-19          77288

Craig,

This is why JD offers the vertical stack option. Some people prefer them. It's really a personal choice.

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-19          77291

ITs not the limbs hitting the vertical stack the bothers me, its the ones that hit the stack, bow over then come back and snap me in the face that I don't like.

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-19          77324

I'd have to look but me thinks there is a small drain hole at the bottom of the bend. I would take over a quart of water to get past the bend. The turn out covers most of it anyway. It has always been a long standing practice to put a can over the exaust if they sit out for a period of time.

Mine sits in by the wood stove all winter and in the cool side of the shop during the summer. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-02-19          77354

Harvey could you tell me how high the top of the stack is? Will it go under a 7 foot door? ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-20          77359

CraigC it's 79.5" or 6'7.5".

I was thinking on reasons why I like it and remembered when mowing the pointy down one stirred the old dead grass and got that started moving. Also stacking snow would send a cloud of snow in the air.

As I said the toughest part of this is cutting the hood (mental thing for me). JD sent good directions I measured 6 or more times. I had masking tape on both sides of hood to mark it. I tried it wasn't sure.

HINT! There is a little rounded dip in the engine side cover. GUESS why it's there :-). If you are centered above it and each side after you measure and mark you are golden.

I used a hi speed "HI SPEED" air powered recropiating body panel saw. Practiced on a couple of coffee cans then changed blade and made the cut.

My email is with this post if you have a concern e me I'll send you a photo of what the cut looks like or what ever you need. ....

4310 exhaust stack

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-02-20          77367

Know what you mean about cutting the hood, was thinking about letting dealer install this when they put the mower and loader on. If they screw up they will have to fix it. Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login