Go Bottom Go Bottom

430 Heavy Duty Bucket Question

View my Photos
CraigC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-17          77190

What is the difference between a 73" standard and a 73" heavy duty bucket and is it worth the cost?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-18          77195

The heavy duty bucket has reinforcements on the sides (extra plate of steel welded), and other reinforcements

I bought the HD bucket (dealer didn't think I needed it) after seeing my neigbor's (non JD) bucket after years of use (bent in middle, etc.).

I don't recall what the price difference was.

I have learned over time that on the 'farm', it is usually better to opt for the heavier duty implement in the long run.
Also, everything purchased for the farm comes with 000 after any other number :)

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-20          77363

Just found out that my neighbor last weekend ran into a tree stump clearing snow with the bucket. It is now a triangular bucket .....
( and I mean fully triangular - it is impressively bent)

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-02-20          77368

Looks like the heavy bucket only cost $100.00 more than the standard, seems well worth the extra money. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77377

I twisted the bucket on my kubota, I straightedn it out, pretty good. I am going to weld on some more reforcement steel. I just don't know when i will get around to it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77387

Just remember that if the bucket doesn't give when you run into something the shock will be transferred elsewhere. Hit hard enough and something is bound to give. If you're lucky it will just be a hydraulic cylinder seal, if you're not you might bend or break something really expensive. It's always best to avoid running into stuff :) ....

View my Photos
jbs

2004-02-20          77448

I purchased the HD bucket when I bought my 430 loader and it was well worth the extra $$$. My brother inlaw bought the standard bucket and had xtra reinforcement welded in and it still isn't as good as the heavy duty bucket.
jbs ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-21          77451

Yes get the heavy duty bucket, if my memory is correct it cost 100.00 more than the standard. I got it on a 4300 new in 00. it's moved lots of soil, crushed rock, snow and other than paint scratches still looks like new. Early this winter I bought another 430 loader for my 4310 that has the 4 in one clam bucket, It works real nice for gathering and carrying brush, but haven't really had it long enough to know how it will hold up. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark

2004-03-03          78673

I have a JD 4 in 1 bucket and have had to have the blade cut off and a new one put on. I havn't got the final price yet but I wonder if others have had any problems with the blade being damaged. I am considering buying the heavy duty bucket and using the 4 in 1 less often. I don't know what a JD heavy duty bucket costs, but this is crazy to be cutting off the blade and re-welding one on. Woods makes a 4 in 1 bucket with a removable blade so what gives with JD. An earlier post suggested I have the bucket modified to accept the removable blade. The price on that was $1300, so if anyone knows how much a heavy JD bucket for a 4310 is it would be quite a help. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-03          78680

Oly, there is an alternative method to the welding that could have saved you some grief, and maybe some cash. The bolt-on replacement cutting edge for the 6ft HD JD (110 tlb)bucket mounts to the bottom of the bucket with seven counter sunk bolts. Grind the damaged edge so that it will mate flush with the bolt-on edge, clamp the new edge in place, transfer drill from the bottom, and c-sink the seven holes, (nuts go on top)and now you have a replaceable edge. Yes, the new edge will be fatter at the lip, but I still think it is cheaper than welding. Once I plasma cut a damaged edge off of a Woods five foot loader bucket and rewelded a new edge on. I must have gone through an easy $20.00 worth of mig wire and the better part of a day. The plasma cut was the toughest to make straight, required grinding a bevel all along the length of the area to be welded, before welding, but I took it slow and it worked out well. I think you may be able to bolt on the replaceable edge as described above with the JD 4in1. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark

2004-03-06          79040

Abbeywoods,

Thanks for the info. I just talked to my JD dealer and he didn't cut and weld. He replaced the top half of the bucket...a costly option. I will see if someone can help me with the situation so I don't have to do this again. I think all should be aware of this costly situation regarding the 4 in 1 bucket. Get a replaceable blade style of 4 in 1 bucket. ....

View my Photos
bvmcintyre

2004-03-18          80331

I'm in the process of purchasing a new 4310 with 43 backhoe, 430 loader, 72" 7-iron mid mount mower, and a 66" snow blade on hydraulics. I asked the same question regarding the bucket upgrade. The price differential is $100.00. Well worth the price based on the added structural support! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-19          80379

I think heavy duty buckets are good for people who don't want a bunch of specialized implements and only have occasional needs for them. A loader can be set up to do a huge range of 'the work that's gota get done.'

I just want to say that 'heavy-duty' anything is not a universal good and the choice does have downsides. Added weight (both the bucket and compensating rear ballast) to carry around, reduced load capacity and added wear and tear are some. It's not a bad choice and the reality is that few non-commercial CUT owners are ever going to put enough hours on their tractors for the wear and tear to catch up with them.

I made a different choice and use a box scraper for landscaping and a 3ph forklift for heavy lifting and material handling but that choice too has some downsides. On the other hand I have had a few jobs where lifting or traction were marginal at best and a heavy duty bucket may have meant that I'd had had to figure out a different way of getting the work done. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login