Go Bottom Go Bottom

1070 Won t Charge battery

View my Photos
Mecheng
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-03          75827

My 1070's red light is on saying the battery is not charging. The battery takes a charge from a battery charger and holds it no problem. Where should I start looking, the voltage regulator (if it has one) or the alternator?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-03          75834

I guess the light is on and the battery doesn't seem to be changing from the tractor. A simple test is that a voltmeter should measure 14-15V at the battery when the tractor is running at fair rpm. If the voltage is there, the battery should be getting a charge provided the ground is good. It does sound like the voltage is low but cleaning the terminals and chassis end of the ground cable might help.

The easiest way to sort out the alternator/regulator question is to work from procedures in a manual. Most procedures go step by step through testing voltage and current outputs and each regulator circuit if the outputs are wrong. Without a manual there's a tendency to go around and around in circles trying this and that. Most procedures do require a volt/amp meter and the ability to load the system to close to the alternator rating. ....

View my Photos
george 1

2004-02-12          76754

Check the multi-ganged plug for the combo voltage regulator/rectifier unit located on the firewall for high resistance or open connections. This unit is an aluminmun block with fins.

good luck
keoke ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login