Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 Block Heater Install

View my Photos
b8fish
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-30          75486

After reading the posts on installing block heaters in the larger machines, I am ready to do this on my 2210. Who has done this, and any helpful, not in the directions, advice/tips.
Thanks,
b8fish

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
busguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-30          75497

I did mine about two weeks ago. First thing, clean the powder coat off the engine block were the flange bolts on.
Drain the radiator then remove the drain plug in the block adjacent to the block heater. Take a punch and knock the freeze plug into the water jacket grab it with a pair of pliers turn it sideways and pull it out. Thread the block heater into the flange in a vice then bolt the flange to engine block. I believe the thermostat is self bleeding so the system shouldn't get air bound when you re-fill it. ....

View my Photos
Darrel

2004-02-04          75961

I recently learned a new trick for the 2210 compacts. They have a glow plug heating system, however it only heats while the key is in the crank position. So what you do in cold weather is to engage the PTO, then turn the key to the crank position for 15-30 seconds, then push in the PTO switch and the tractor will start right off. This may keep you from having to purchase the block heater.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-14          76843

That procedure could lead to premature failure of the glow plug system from over heating. You pay one way or the other for the use of equipment during the winter. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-14          76882

Art, when the ignition circuit closes and the starter is bypassed by the safety function (caused by having the tracor in gear or PTO engaged), the glow plug cyles for 1-2 seconds ONLY, no matter how long the key is held in the start position. Deere has documented this as a cold sart procedure but has not yet published it in the manuals. There is no risk of overheating the glow plugs, and also no reason to hold the key in the start position for more than a couple of seconds. You can hear the glow pug circuit switch on and off if you listen carefully. Cycling the glow plugs twice in this manner is sufficient for almost all lower temps. The only possible down side of this design is that the glow plugs cycle for that 1-2 seconds every time the machine is started even when glow plugs are not needed. Adding the block heater is the best cold-weather assitance, but tricking the ignition system works just fine. Pete ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-02-14          76884

Darrell, Deere recommends this procedure, but only for up to 5 seconds at a time. 15-30 seconds may lead to premature failure of glow plugs, as Art has noted. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-14          76889

Hi, JDGreen. We must have posted almost simultaneously. I had this very concern and learned through a conversation with a corporate JD tech on the phone that the glow plugs cannot be "held" in the heating position with the ignition switch. He did say that you could burn them up by quickly repeating the procedure many times over. I wrote above that the plugs only heat for 1-2 seconds, but it's probably more like 2-4 seconds. It works but seems kinda' like an engineering after-thought or work-around. Pete ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login