Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD2210 rear blade guage wheels

View my Photos
bmclernon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-29          75364

I have a 5ft KK rear blade. This past week I had my first opportunity to "play in the snow" on my gravel drive. Since 3ph height control is somewhat lacking with the JD2210, I was wondering if anyone knows of guage wheel assemblies which could welded/bolted to the to the blade.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-29          75366

Or maybe skid shoes? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-29          75370

I have never heard of gauge wheels being an option on a rear blade. Shoes are very common. I have a Landpride blade that offers them as an option. I bought them (they are way overpriced). The Landpride blade is pre-punch (square holes) for the mounting bolts. It is quite heavy duty, but I've managed to bend one shoe. I'm also very unhappy with the performance. When you push heavy snow the suction weight from the curved blade puts enough downward force that if the ground isn't frozen it will dig into your stone driveway. If you get in the sod it just peels it up. Also when pushing heavy snow the snow piles up ahead of the blade and the weight impregnates itself in your top layer of stone and gets stuck in the snow and gets carried off into the snowpile on the lawn.

I keep my rear blade about 2-3 inches above the stone drive and push the heavy amounts of snow away first. If the ground is not frozen be sure to not spin you tires. That brings stones up. I then back drag using either and FEL or take the shoes off and back drag with the rear blade. I always attempt to push that last amount of snow into a pile in turn arounds. I leave a frozen layer of snow on top of the stone such that eventually when it freezes it makes it easy to remove later in the season when more snow comes.

All tractors do not have a very sensitive 3 point height adjustment so don't blame the tractor. I have found by attempting to keep the shoes just touching or slightly up helps. To get very minor changes in blade height, just lightly tap the hitch handle. If I remember correctly the Landpride shoes were like $150.00.

I've been considering making gauge wheels. Each side would need a swivel single wheel with variable adjustment something like on a midmount mower deck but much heavier in construction. Believe me there is lots of force. When scraping in dirt I haven't been that displeased.

I may end up making something to replace mine but that is a project for next year.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-29          75371

There are two schools of thought on gauge wheels;

First, a single wheel centered out back, this allows simple side-to-side adjustments, without leaving the seat if you have power tilt.

Secondly, dual wheels out back, one behind each corner. Biggest draw-back with this is the dual adjustment required to angle blade if you want to build a crown for instance. Also, if you use the blade for working near an edge the wheel often 'falls in' and you lose it's effectiveness, a single wheel would not be affected in this case.

Finally, for the DIY'er a single centered wheel is the fastes, cheapest and easiest to make.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-01-29          75382

Good info about this, but there's 2 threads, in Deere and Implements.
Maybe Dennis can 'join' them?
bliz ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-01-29          75384

Yooper, is the shoe you bent just curved plate? The snow-plow shoes I mentioned are cast 'mushrooms' that adjust with heavy washers and a quick-pin. I did manage to tear a bracket off once, plowing WAY to fast (25+MPH) over 3-4 inches of compacted/frozen ice/snow. Price was fair, around $50 for shoes and brackets, but you have to weld them on.
bliz

View my Photos
bmclernon

2004-01-29          75388

Sorry about that, I realized this was not a Deere centric topic so I stuck a copy over in implements (looking for widest desemination). I normally just hang on the Deere discussion group.
Back on topic, I was kinda looking for an off the shelf solution utilizing wheels (I realized early on that skid shoes were not the answer in my situation) but I guess it's fabrication time again.
Thanks everyone for your input. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-29          75391

Blizzard,
The bottom of the Landpride shoe is a mushroom style and has been cold formed into a spherical shape. I didn't bend it there but up in the shank. The shank is about 5/8" x 2" rectangular stock. I bent it sideways across the 5/8" width just below the mounting bracket. A little torch and a big hammer will fix it. It has drill points in the end for screw positions for adjustable heights. Sometimes the screws also come loose.

It is a simple design with fairly rugged construction, but I can bend or break anything if given the opportunity. I think I got a little carried away one day digging up some soil. The curvature of the Landpride blade really sucks it in the ground fast and hard.

A single wheel in the middle is the simpliest however, the ground is never perfectly level so I would go with big swivel wheels on each end. I would make the wheels out of steel or hard rubber so they wouldn't give under load.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-29          75396

The problem with gauge wheels for snow removal is that they are fixed to arm that project out from the back of the blade.

The norm for using a rear blade for snow is to turn the blade around and push in reverse so that you don't have to drive through the snow to clean it. That being the case, when you reverse the blade, the wheels are now back next to the rear wheels of the tractor giving little benefit. Skid shoes however are ON the blade so no matter what direction the blade is pointing they do the same job.

Gauge wheels are intended to help maintain a more constant blade height when doing tasks like final grading or maintaining a driveway or road.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2004-01-29          75416

I had your same problem earlier in the season. Several here suggested shortening the toplink. That didn't completely work for me, but I was able to find a shorter toplink from my dealer. That helped a lot! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login