Go Bottom Go Bottom

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
bisaacks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-23          74902

I recently bought a used 790. I need to build fence on about 25 acres this spring and summer. Anyone have a recommendation about a post hold digger for this model tractor? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-24          74910

I purchased a Land Pride PD 25. There are less expensive models and brands out there. I have been very happy with all of my Land Pride impliments. A PD 10 or 15 might be a better fit due to pto hp. ....

Link:   click here

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-24          74927

I use a generic 12" PHA with 24 pto hp. the soil is sandy with some rocks. Some tractors with low ground clearance can't lift some augers high enough so the auger tip clears the ground. Generally augers with three mounting positions for the yoke avoid this problem. I'm make sure the proper grade of sheap bolt for the auger is known and a good supply is on hand.

My 12" holes may seem a little large for regular posts but even then I had to shave some off a few holes with an hand digger. My layout and tractor positioning wasn't good enough even with 12" holes--especially for the 8" corner posts. I like straight fences so I did the hand work but with a much small auger maybe I'd still be building that fence. Of course, more attention to marking and tractor positioning is the better solution.

If the auger ever will be used for constructing buildings, oversized holes are handy for plumbing and squaring posts or poles. 12" holes for 6" posts were handy for a shed and the corners were accurately staked. ....

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
bisaacks

2004-01-24          74943

Thanks for the information. Have any of you heard anything about the quality of either Rhino or Ag-Meier PHD?
Where would a good place be to look for a used PHD or is this something you just need to purchase new? ....

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-25          74992

Large regional fabrication shops make quite a few augers. They don't advertise so the names aren't known but dealers generally know what's available in an area. My auger is a 'no name' type from my dealer. For this purchase I did call around a bit and was surprised that I didn't recognize the names of any of the augers mentioned by various dealers.

Augers are one of those things you get for a specific project like a fence and then it sits around unused after the project, so maybe this is a place where cheap is good--as long as cheap doesn't mean a light frame. Name brand augers do tend to have options such as down-pressure kits available but I've never needed one. New ones weren't expensive enough for me to want to spend much time looking for used ones. ....

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-25          74996

I was thinking about all of the uses I found for my PHD B4 I got the BH.

Post hole for deck additions, post holes for sheds, holes for trellis, holes for trees, flower bushes, burying small animals large animals required 2 or 3 holes then just dig out between holes, burn barrel ashes, old nails and hard ware, test holes for ground perk, dog poop...

If I did not have the BH I could not imagine not having lots of uses for the PHD.

My PHD is a real cheapy and I do have considerable time rebuilding broken and twisted parts. ....

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-25          75004

Good comment! And come to think of it, after a couple of years of the auger sitting around, I do need to build a garage addition so I can get rid of the tractor tent. I also keep saying that I'm going to turn part of a drive cut into a loading dock, so maybe this summer will be another PHA year. I have a BH too but sometimes a short deep trench isn't a substitute for a hole. Dog poop composts fairly well in a covered open bottomed box. I used a box scraper to make the shallow excavation. Oh man, PHA's and box scrapers to manage dog stuff, Give'um toys and boy they'll sure play. ....

post hole digger for 790

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-25          75016

Not really a PHD comment, but when I started looking at a CUT an Old Friend ( who is a lifetime cattle farmer ) told me that "until you buy a tractor, you will never know all things you will use it for." I thought Oh, yeah, lawn, horse manure, grading, general tractor stuff....
Oh how much more I have done...... Although I am not certain if it is the tractor making it easier or me finding things to use the tractor for....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login