Seriously Considering a 4310: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Seriously Considering a 4310: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-07-2004, 15:52 Post: 73380
sshuma

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Seriously Considering a 4310

Folks -- I'm new to this board, but thought it was the place to be to help me make a rather large decision on buying a tractor... I've been wanting/needing a compact tractor for years (this will be my first), but between mortgage and job market, haven't pulled the trigger. This winter is pushing me over the edge. The JD 0% financing helps, too.

First, what I'd like to do with the tractor: I have 15 acres in northern Vermont -- mixed hilly and flat. I have a 750' driveway (mostly flat) that I'd like to care for myself -- I'm tired of the plow guy tearing it up. So, a snowblower is a must. And it snows A LOT here. Also, I have about 6 acres of fields I'd like brush hog instead of paying someone else to do it (and maybe someday I'll do a little farming on it). Finally, I cut my own wood on the property, and have a list of landscaping projects as long as my arm -- so a loader is a must (it'll help moving snow banks, too).

I'm looking very seriously at a new JD 4310 MFWD w/ eHydro and R4's. Options are Mid-PTO, Power Beyond (for later backhoe work), Dual + Third SCV's, engine heater, iMatch, loaded rears, and rear chains. Implements are 430 Loader, 59" Front-Mount Snowblower, and MX5 Cutter.

First question: Am I looking at a good machine for my needs (your opinions, please)?

Second question: So far my dealer has quoted me $26,300 for the package -- before JD incentives and taxes. Does that seem reasonable? I've read some other posts here that make it seem like that may be a bit high... But it is about 15% below the 'list' prices on the web... Also, that quote came from one sit-down meeting with the dealer, but after enough phone calls over the years to ask questions and check used inventory that he knows me pretty well. How much haggling do you usually do with tractor dealers?

BTW, my dealer is great. Very friendly, comfortable to work with, and tries very hard to help me out. As I mentioned, I've bugged him a lot over the years, and he's always been very helpful and patient. He's very respected in the area, and does a booming business. He recommended the 4310 to meet my needs, but was willing to talk about any models I chose. And, he never said an unkind word about other brands.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanx!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-07-2004, 16:14 Post: 73383
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I bought a 4310 4WD e-hydro in March 2003 with R4s, 430FEL, 47BH for $26,500 tax included. I tried to haggle - got a few hundred off over incentives - but dealer wouldn't budge much. I liked the dealer's reputation in the area so I went with him anyway.

I only have 2 acres - wanted to have the tractor to do a large poolyard expansion project - I'm sure it's an overkill, but who knows how much land I might have at my next house ( 8 acres at last house)? I did manage to put 192 hours on it in the first year.

The tractor is a honey. Plenty of power - easy to run. The wife, son and daughter get on it and run it without any problem. I bought an 5' IM502 brush chopper and got rid of a couple of massive brush piles this year. I help the neighbors out - will be digging some drainage ditches in the spring. No project is too large to tackle on my own now.

01-07-2004, 16:33 Post: 73386
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

My guess is that price is in the high end of the ballpark. You might see if they will toss in free pickup and delivery for any service and/or the 50 hour service. And, of course, plenty of hats. A good dealer is a BIG part of the equation, and worth paying a little extra for. My dealer has been incredibly good, answering questions, equipment tryouts before buying, etc, and they even traded my R4 tires for R1s for a labor only fee when I discovered the R4s didn't work well in our clay soil.

I bought a 4310 in June and couldn't be happier. The MX-5 cutter is a good match to this tractor, and is an awesome cutter. I've cut down 12 foot vine maples with it and heavy scotch broom (tough stuff) without any effort at all. We don't generally have to blow snow, but I did have to use the loader bucket to plow a couple feet of snow off the 100 foot driveway this year and there was no lack of power. It continues to impress me. We do a lot of tree cutting and the tractor has done all the skidding and stumping I could ask of it. I really like the eHydro with the LoadMatch feature - never a stall and very smooth operation.

I think you'd be happy with it for your needs.

01-07-2004, 17:32 Post: 73390
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

This site might help you to compare and configure prices. You have a lot of stuff in your package, I think your dealer can work with you some on the price.

Link:   John Deere 4310 Compact Tractor 

01-10-2004, 14:56 Post: 73649
kadorken

You might consider using a rear mount snowblower so you can leave the loader on. You use the loader to pile snow, and the blower to move it.

It might be less expensive to get a rear snowblower attachment.

Of course, you have to be comfortable moving snow in reverse...

01-14-2004, 15:04 Post: 73968
sshuma

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thank you all for the input!!

Chief -- When I priced out the components that were listed on the web site you sent me, the price I got from the dealer for that same package was within $30.... So I guess he is in the ballpark -- maybe he is a little over on the attachments (loader, blower, cutter)... But, I talked to him again last week, and he said that when we finalize things, he'll work the prices again to get me the best deal he can. Sounds reasonable to me.

kwschumm -- Thanx for the vote on the MX5 -- that helped sway my decision to it vs. the LX5.

kadorken -- I've been wrestling with the front vs. back-mounted blower. Bottom line is that for my 750' drive, I think I'd prefer going forward... It will be a bummer to have to switch implements if I need the loader, but so it goes...

As a general update -- I'm still working with the dealer, but we have had over a week of frigid weather here, with another week to go (-25F at the house again this morning). So, I haven't had a chance to test drive yet (the dealer got a 4310 w/ eHydro, R4's, and 430 loader in, and I want to go test it out). Hopefully next week we'll get back to the 20's or so and I can get down there. Maybe we'll close the deal then! Keeping my fingers crossed...

02-05-2004, 11:47 Post: 76031
sshuma

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Well, I finally did it!! The weather finally broke here (by that I mean it got into the 20's), so I went and drove the 4310 on Monday afternoon. Closed the deal shortly thereafter!

The tractor was a blast to drive -- and very easy to operate! The dealer gave me a few quick pointers, then went back in his shop. Within minutes, I was moving snow banks behind the building. I tried it out for about an hour -- the dealer asked if I was done already when I walked back in.

The final package:
Tractor: 4310 4WD, eHydro, R4's, Folding ROPS
Options: Mid-PTO, iMatch, Block Heater, Front and Rear Working Lights, Dual + Third SCV, Power Beyond, Rental Upgrade Kit, Umbrella, and Loaded Rear Tires
Attachments: 430 Loader (w/ grille guard, 61" HD bucket), 59" Front-Mount Snowblower, MX5 Rotary Cutter, and Frontier RB1172 6' Medium Duty Rear Blade.

Final price was $27K before incentives and tax, $27.5K after.

I should get it in 2 weeks! I was definitely thinking about it yesterday as I manually cut down the snowbanks around my driveway, preparing for more snow tomorrow and Saturday...

02-05-2004, 12:04 Post: 76035
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Sshuma, congratulations! Sounds like you got a fine deal. You are going to have lots of fun.

02-05-2004, 12:14 Post: 76037
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

sshuma, congratulations! Sounds like you got a VERY well rounded and thought out package. I see that you are in a pretty cold winter area. You may want to consider asking the dealer to add on the transmission oil heater as well. Not that much more money. The part #'s are:

AR94493 - Heater $47.85
AR95434 - Set, Cord $14.03
R34557 - Clamp $ 1.65
R44302 - Tie Band $00.11 each (3)

Link:   click here 

02-05-2004, 12:47 Post: 76042
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

sshuma, Congrats! Your package is substantially similar to mine, which I bought back in June of last year. I have no regrets at all and I'm sure you will love your 4310.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 73380 Filter by Poster:
blizzard 1 | Chief 9 | CraigC 4 | DK35vince 1 | drh1983 3 | hardwood 4 | JDF415 1 | kadorken 1 | kentfield 1 | kwschumm 12 | mav7768 13 | ncrunch32 4 | ridgerunnertc 1 | sshuma 7 | Trakorb 4 | tw fahl 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob