Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
deeremd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-30          72664

Can anyone explain to me what Deere has been doing with the 790? The older 790s had the 3NTE84 engine which produced somewhere between 27-30 hp (depending upon what numbers you believe). However, I've discovered that the new 790 I purchased a few months ago has a smaller 3NTE82 engine. Meanwhile, the Deere website says that the 790 has the 3NTE84 engine.

How did I end up with a tractor that has a smaller engine and less horsepower than advertised?? My dealer has had no explanation and it seems like I purchased a tractor with the expectation of a certain horsepower and got something less. (Unfortunately, I didn't understand that the 3NTE82 really was a smaller engine until just recently.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-30          72684

There has been a great deal of speculation on this topic. Some think that the EPA forced them into the change, but we have seen no other engine changes with other manufacturers or models.

I subscribe to the theory that in the no-frills tractor market, anywhere you can shave a buck off the production cost makes the manufacturer that much more competitive.

I think Deere went to a slightly smaller engine to save money and stay in the game.

It is unfortunate that they didn't announce the change to the buying public. ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-30          72729

I agree with Mark. I think Deere could have handled this in a much better fashion than they did and they owe the buyers or these tractors an explaination if not an offer to trade up or some kind of meaningful good will jesture. ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-30          72731

JD webpage says 27 gross hp for 790, which is consistent with the 3TNE82A. 3TNE82A is what they put in the 4210 according to the owners manual. So it appears you have the webpage advertised HP, but engine model is obviously wrong in the web page (or in your tractor). ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-12-30          72747

You can still get 30 hp from the "new" JD 790 with the 3tne82.....just run it to the 3000rpm redline and, WALLA you get 30hp according to Yanmar :) The HP figures JD and other manufacturers give are at PTO speed, not max rpms.

We have been over and over this and I think I was the first to discover the engine/hp change when I bought my 790 earlier this year. I posted on another forum and several other people were in the same boat. At first I was ticked but it is a great tractor with plenty of power for it's weight. Meaning the tires spin long before the HP/torque runs out, 3 extra hp will probably only make me spin faster ;) A sfar as PTO hp it will run anything it can lift. If the implement is so big you need the extra 3 hp to run it probbaly can't be lifted SAFEYLy by a 2100lb tractor.

Still JD needs to get the promotions/ad people in touch with manufacturing! ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-30          72750

Hi Scott! How are you doing? Haven't talked with you in awhile. I am sure most who buy the 790's will not notice the difference. It is just the idea of making a change like that after folks made their purchase decisions based on John Deere's flaky info. For the most part the rpm range above 2600 is not usable as the pto is rated for 540 rpm at 2600 engine rpms. You would have to do some fanagling with the injeciton pump to get 3000 rpm as most are set for a max. of 2810 and most don't even get that. How many hours have you got on your so far? I am pushing a 100 hours soon! ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-12-30          72751

Hi Chief, I ave been busy with the holidays. I have 90 something trouble free hours now and need a good snow storm to reach 100.

I was just kidding with the 3000 RPM thing. I actually had to adjust my throttle just to get the low rpm and high rpms right at specs. Now I have 2810 for the high.

I agree, most people won't even notice the change, JD jst mishandled the thing. I don't think it was done to bedishonest, but they need some proofreaders at the marketing dept :) ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
deeremd2

2004-01-02          72886

I guess I would have to disagree that 2+ horsepower doesn't make that much difference since a key breakpoint in attachment sizes is 25 pto hp. The 790s with the 3tne84 engines are rated to have almost exactly 25 pto hp, while the 3tne82A engine produces somewhat less.

The bottom-line seems to be that people buying the newer 790s are paying more for them and getting somewhat less than those that purchased a 790 a couple years ago. I just don't know how Deere can explain or justify this. ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
Peters

2004-01-02          72896

They justify it by the lawyer verbage at the bottom of the specification sheet. They can an will change at their will at any time. ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-02          72911

The original owners manual that I read online when shopping listed a 30hp engine and 25hp at the PTO with the 3TNE84.(some ads had 27 PTO hp listed? who knows?) When I got my tractor it went to 27hp engine and 24 hp at the PTO with the 3TNE82.

All I can say about the 5hp per foot implement guidlines that are often quoted is that the tractor runs a 5 foot brushhog with ease through anything. I am sure I could use a light duty 6ft cutter for 90% of the stuff I cut. I don't think anyone who owns an older 790 has implements that they can run that a newer 790 can't handle. As MANY have stated, the 790's limitations are lift capacity and traction due to it's light weight not power. Most implements that require more PTO power to run will either be too heavy for the 790s lift capacity or cause wheelies if do you manage to lift them :) If your needs are running implements that need ALL 25/27? PTO hp to the extent that the curent 24 hp won't cut it , then I don't think a 2100 lb 790 is a good choice. That was true before OR after the power reduction.

The tractor works great and will suit the average hobby farmer,horse owner,landowner, etc. fine. It has very good power for it's size and will probably do all the tasks they ask of it. With 6 horses and property to care for I have used it pretty darn hard for 100 hours and it has not disappointed. Bottom line, JD screwed up, but it is still a great tractor especailly for under 15K with a FEL and an attachment or two.

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
plots1

2004-01-22          74707

F350Lawman, I think you summed that up really good! ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-22          74772

Thanks Plots1

I will tell ypu one thing these 790's start right up in the cold. I had the tractor outside hooked to the manure cart and I got sick for afew days. The tractor ended sitting outside for a week with temps down to -5F. I started it at -5F with no block heater and it cranked right up like it was July. Now if only my truck was so happy about starting at those temps!

The tractor is back in the attached, but unheated garage where it stays around 30F. It is nice to know it will start right up under the worst of circumstances.

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
SmokinJo

2004-03-16          80042

This is my first post here. Been gathering a lot of useful info from this forum. I bought a JD 790 about a month ago - it's the new style with bottom exhaust and a different type fuel filter ( a few other changes). Anyway my engine model is 3TNV82A - anyone have any idea what the difference is between that and the 3TNE82A? Might be just a newer model.

Thanks to everyone posting here at TractorPoint.com - this site is very useful!! ....

790 Engine Sizes

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-17          80117

There is some detailed discussion about new 790 engines in the archives. Newer 790's have less HP than the originals. If I recall the general thinking is that the original 790 may have had more power than was useful or maybe even safe in a tractor of that size and weight.

A new 790 would have less hp but it should actually do about the same work since a lot of what can be done depends more on weight, balance and traction than on power. I'm not certain if JD put a different engine in them or just changed the tuning on the original engine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login