Go Bottom Go Bottom

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          70984

Is there any disadvantage to leaving the LoadMatch engaged all the time on an eHydro model? I find that once engaged we usually forget to turn it off. Also - maybe its my imagination - but the tractor seems to go up steep hills with less trouble when LoadMatch is on.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          70985

Funny you should ask....

I asked this same question here months ago and nobody knew for sure. So I emailed JD. They said to call the dealer. I called the dealer and they didn't know, but they said they'd talk to JD tech. Turns out JD tech didn't know either.

I think a LOT of people, myself included, leave LoadMatch enabled all the time. Nobody has said not to and the manual contains nothing about it. I don't think it does any harm at all.

And it's not your imagination - LoadMatch is a great feature and it does help on the hills. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-12          70987

Ya know, it would be cool if you could ask your dealer this same question. Maybe if we ask enough they'll figure out a solid answer for us.

Chief, have you ever asked your dealer about this? ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-12          70989

Thanks for your perspective on this - I will probably be going to dealer soon and will bring it up to them. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-12          70993

In the owner's manual operating section under "Using Load Match (ehydro model) It states that "LoadMatch enables the operator to prevent the engine stalling during heavy load applicationssuch operating with a loader."

In TM 1985 on pg. 157 Electrical Theory And Diagnosis under LoadMatch Switch it states:

"The LoadMatch switch is used to eliminate stalling the engine during a typical application such as loader work. A throttle position sensor is installed to read the no-load rpm engine set point.

If the engine rpm drops far enough below the set point value, the current sent to the transmission drive valve coils is reduced to allow the engine rpm to recover. The greater the load on the engine, the greater the reduction in current.

If cruise control is active and the LoadMatch comes on, the cruise control speed output is "held" at whatever speed it is currently operating at until the LoadMatch goes back to 100%.

In a nut shell if the rpm drops below the selected no load rpm, the controller will modulate the ehydro back to maintain within set limits the selected no load rpm. More or less a system of governance in which the transmission is governed as opposed to the engine.

Long story short.....the ehydro properly functioning and operated will perform as good and better than conventional hydro. I use load match when I cut steep hills with thick grass. I have observed the LoadMatch feature activate and slow the transmission back to maintain the selected rpm. This is particularly handy when cutting as it serves to maintain mid pto rpm output and engine out put at the selected 2,600 rpm and corresponding 2,100 pto rpm. LoadMatch is rpm sensitive so is serves other functions besides prevention of stalling the engine.

The tractor Art operated was not operating/serviced properly, or how can I put this highly unlikely cause as delicate and diplomaticly as possible.........(and I have been guilty of this on more than a few occasions) operator head space & timing or error. Sounds more like the tractor had a problem with it.

The dealer was negligent and plain ole' in bad from leaving the tractor there especially with a competing dealer having a representative there. As I said, the dealer service and demostration of concern made the sale here and rightly so, much to Art's credit.

Hope this was not too much shop babble and answered the question you posed Ken.

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-12          70994

Thanks, Chief. I had read all that techno stuff in the manuals, but what they *don't* say is what the ramifications are, if any, of leaving LoadMatch engaged all the time. I can't see why you'd ever turn it off. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-12          70995

From what Chief says, I would conclude that it doesn't matter if you leave the LoadMatch on - it just depends on how you want to run the tractor. Am I correct? I had noticed that with LoadMatch on - I don't lose RPMs going up a hill but may just get there a little slower (seemed sluggish to me at the time).

So does eHydro stand for "Electric-Hydro"? I didn't realize this. Being in a computer world I just thought the "e" in eHydro meant JD was current with what was going on in the computer age - electronics and all. Does the LoadMatch feature encompass what is unique to eHydro (as opposed to Hydro)? ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-12          70996

Oooops! Sorry! I got wrapped up looking for the original answer to your question and the CRS crept in. ;-) I cannot find anything that says any harm will occur from leaving LoadMatch engaged all the time. I asked my buddy who is the John Deere Regional Govt. Sales Manager and he said that it would not hurt anything and that the 110 TLB is designed with the system set in LoadMatch all the time. There is no LoadMatch switch to select......it is incorporated into the system. The LoadMatch does not function unless you place the machine under a load large enough to cause engine rpm to drop more than the parameters preset into the LoadMatch circuit. So.......I would say no,use the load match all you want. The reduction in drive speed is a function engine speed against drive speed coil voltage and not a phenominon that would cause wear and tear. Well, at least that is my story and I am sticking to it! ;-) ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-12          70998

Thanks, Chief, I figured that it wasn't a problem but it would have been nice to get confirmation from JD.

ncrunch, yep the eHydro has electronic controls that the standard hydros don't have. LoadMatch is one feature, and MotionMatch is another. Yeah, when LoadMatch engages the tractor understandably slows down a little. Still a lot better than stalling out or having to stop and change ranges on a hill. The electronics are a mixed blessing. There's more to go wrong, and parts may be hard to come by in 20 years, but I sure like the extra features. The word is the eHydro can be converted to the 4300 standard hydro if need be since it's the same basic tranny. Never heard of anyone doing it though. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-13          71028

Chief, my main reason for being there was because I didn't like the parameters of an open demo under the conditions described. The other salesperson just didn't qualify the sale, or consider the situation very throughly before taking the tractor out. The conditions were steep and I was able to feel the system working or so I thought. The sharpest part of the grade was only about 30 foot in distance with good slopes on either side. Both tractors were put on the slope and yes there was a fellow there that to me would never drive a hydro(he sure could drink the beer) as he stalled three times on the Kubota tring to climb it. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-28          78222

KW, I finally got around to asking the dealer about whether it matters if you leave the loadmatch switch on all the time. He said absolutely no problem leaving loadmatch switch on all the time. Then he slips out something to the effect "well, you might want to turn it off when you're not needing it at all". And I ask why turn it off - if it makes no difference. And he says something to the effect that it may have an effect on fuel efficiency. This is like trying to get a definite answer from a politician. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-28          78224

Thanks, ncrunch32. That's pretty much what I expected since not even JD Tech can answer the question. It would be nice to get a definitive answer but nobody has ever indicated leaving it engaged at all times would cause a problem. ....

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
JDF415
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-01          78361

Ken,
It doesn't hurt at all to leave it ON all the time.
I asked the question to the folks at JD when the 4010 series were introduced, "This feature is so nice why would anyone want to turn it off?" They said "You most likely never will turn it off." So then I asked "Why then did you put the extra cost of a switch in the system? Why don't you just make them with it ON all the time?" They said "Well, We are making the Industrial 110 TLB with this feature On all the time. The reason for making 4010 series with the switch is so you can show customers the difference between the anti-stall being ON vs OFF."
And really, it does make the system easier to explain & show to customers if they can see the difference.
Hope this expains it better.

LoadMatch on JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78364

JDF415, that's the best explanation of the LoadMatch switch I've heard yet. Thanks. I should have known. Whenever there's a curious design decision always suspect marketing :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login