Go Bottom Go Bottom

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-21          69311

Hi

I was the guy asking about a price recently for a JD4100HST with 300 hours on it. Anyway I bought it and with the deal it came with a new 410 loader. The dealer I bought the tractor from didn't have one so he sent me to another dealer to pick up the loader. I got it from the dealer on the pallet and I thought the bucket looked kinda big as I was driving home. As it turns out it is a 61" bucket. Will this work o.k. with the 4100 or will I have problems. It fits fine, it's just big.
Thanks in advance for your replys.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69313

Sounds like you have the 61" d bucket that i have on my 790. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. It may be ablt to hold alittle more material than you can lift if is something heavy like wet earth. Also the 61" bucket is just slighly too wide to be used to backdrag materials off of a pick up bed or narrow trailer.

What kind of material do you intend to be moving mostly? ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber

2003-11-21          69314

moving mostly just misc. stuff. dirt,logs,trees,etc. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69318

The deal still might trade with you if the bucket is still unused. That is if you would rather have the smaller bucket. Sometimes a larger bucket is nice; especially for things like carrying fire wood or mulch. But Scott is right about filling it with heavy stuff and width for a pickup. Are you going to install it or is the dealer you bought the tractor from? ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber

2003-11-22          69324

I installed it in a couple of hours when i got home. no big deal just time consuming. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-22          69348

Here is the deal on those buckets. Deere markets the 61 inch for moving high volume lighter weight materials.

That is not to say that it is weaker, it isn't, except that any tool with a longer span will bend more readily that it's shorter counterpart.

The issue is the volume. The 410 loader is rated at around 800 pounds of lift capacity. The lift diminishes to around 600 pounds at the bucket lip at full height.

Assuming a cubic foot of damp soil weighs 100-110 pounds, the 49" bucket with its 6 cu. foot capacity (struck) is the best balance for the system.

The 53 inch bucket at 7.8 cu. feet is pushing the envelope but is a necessary attachment for the track width of some tire styles such as the turfs on my 4115.

The 61 inch bucket has a struck/level capacity of 9 cu. feet. That is a 50 percent increase over the standard bucket.

If you do fill the 61" with heavy material you will have limited lift height and you will need absolutely MAXIMUM rear ballast, as in all you can stack on the three point hitch.

It is a usable item, but cannot be used carelessly.

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-22          69359

"Here is the deal on those buckets. Deere markets the 61 inch for moving high volume lighter weight materials."

Not always....although I have the 419 loader the buckets seem to be the same.

There are 2 different 61" buckets, one has a 9 cu ft capacity the other has 13 cu ft. The bucket that I have and I think Greg is referring to is called the 61" HD bucket. My dealer specifically listed it on my original order with no prompting from me. I was going to move to the smaller bucket (for truck unloading) and the dealer said no problem but it won't be the HD model, so I passed.

In my loader book it refers to the 54" as a "material bucket". Both are green and seem beefier ( at least looking) than the black one that the older 70 loaders had. In my loader book the only HD bucket available is the 61"HD, the others are 53", 73" and 61" all in standard or material duty.

**I think you can tell the 2 -61" buckets apart by looking at the sides. The HD version has about a 4' wide by 1/2' thick reinforcement running from the top lip to the cutting edge on the sides of the bucket right at the front edge. In photos it doesn't appear that the 61" regular duty bucket has this extra material added for strength. The regular bucket just has a little material addded right at the bottom on the sides. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber

2003-11-22          69363

Thanks for your help. i put the loader on there and was cleaning leaves from the gutters and my wife was driving. i weigh 200 lbs and was in the bucket we went over a slight angle grade with the bucket up about 60% and the tractor went onto 3 wheels. Needless to say I think i'm gonna need a ballast bucket for the back. In the meantime I was talking to my buddy that has a 4200. When he bought it the JD dealer sold him EVERYTHING for it. I mentiontioned the ballast bucket to him and he said I think I have one of those. He didn't know what it was or how to use it. Tomorrow I am going to try it with 700-800 lbs. in it and see how it works....the story continues. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-22          69364

It will TIP easy is right! Bet you don't need to try that twice :)

I have the ballast box and it must weigh about 500+lbs. no tipping anymore. Just keep the ballast box as low as possible for maximum help. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-22          69371

Greg, Did you get owners manuals with the tractor? ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber

2003-11-22          69373

The only manuals I've gotten so far are the snow blade manual and the loader manual. We are still working on getting me the rest. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-23          69396

Have a look at the loader manual. In it, there are numbers for minimum safe ballast and how much the ballast box will weigh with different types of materials.

Don't be surprised if you end up slinging a thousand pounds or more onto the rear end of that tractor before you achieve real good stability.

If you want a graphic illustration of just how unbalanced that tractor is with just a FEL on it, have a look at my #8 picture.

Your goal with rear ballast is to first counteract the weight of the empty loader and THEN to counter-balance the load in the loader. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GregLimber

2003-11-24          69444

I had seen the ballast #'s in the manual before I even put the loader on the tractor. I just didn't realize how true they were. Many times manuals will say things that aren't absolutely neccesary in the interest of safety. For example many european car owners manuals say change your brake fluid once a year...how many of us do that and the brakes continue to work fine 10 years later. Now I realize the ballast numbers are not a suggestion but rather a neccesity. I used the tractor extensively on Sunday and borrowed my buddys ballast box and had no problems at all. I was amazed at the tractors ability to go in the deep mud with no problems. The mud was up past the side walls of the tires and slopping onto the rims and the tractor just went. Horsepower didn't seem to be an issue at all either. Thanks all for your help. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-24          69479

Yearly brake fluid changes are a bit excessive but I'd sure recommend doing it at least every three years. The moisture in brake systems will rapidly pit your calipers, wheel cylinders, etc. and changing the fluid is a lot cheaper than replacing those parts. I became a believer after working as a brake mechanic for a couple of years. ....

jd4100 61 quot bucket

View my Photos
GJ Archibald

2003-12-08          70526

I have a 4100 HST with a 410 FEL and 61" bucket and have
had no problems......I have yet to have it be unable
to pick up what I attempting to lift.....of course,
I do have the JD ballast box filled with concrete, but
so far so good........I have moved snow, bark mulch and loam
that was very wet with no problems....I have even ripped up
asphault without a toothbar and it was a piece of cake :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login