Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 Lift Capacit a limit i can live with

View my Photos
BARNEE
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-15          68815

i've seen a lot of posts on this topic & i think at least 1 person that decided not to get a 790 because the lift capacity was too low. This model of JD was one of the ones I was seriously looking at buying. I'm still trying to figure out if the low lift capacity will unnecessarily limit me in my use of the tractor. Even though I've operated a small tractor for years it came equipped a certain way & that's the way it still is. Now that i'm looking into a new tractor i've got to make decisions on implements too. I'll need a 5' cutter and a 5' box blade. the cutter will be used on 10 acres of wooded pasture that has some type of weed that grows to 3' & higher and has a stringy stalk when alive. Late in the yr when these die they turn brown & get more brittle (easier to cut), but i can't always wait for this to happen because once the winter rains come i won't be able to get back into the pasture until spring when they dry out again. For this reason I was looking at getting a medium cutter which may push the limit of the 790. Also, i don't want to limit myself later on if i decide to add other attachments. I'd be interested to hear of anyones experience with these tractors, especially if they've found themselves limited in any way because of the lift capacity.

thanx for your help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-15          68820

Have a 790 and 5' LX-5 cutter it is a perfect match and I am positive a 5' blade would be no problem as well. I don't think the MX-5 would be a problem, and others have used it on the 790. For the stuff you described the LX-5 will cut it fine.

I feel the tractor will lft anything that a tractor of it's size and weight is designed to run.It lifts 800+lb implements which is probably more weight than any implement I will ever need to use. It would be nice to be able to lift a 1500 implement but how well would that work on a 27hp and 2100lb(not counting the FEL weight) tractor?

I use it on 11 acres 1/2 pasture 1/2 woods to care for horse with good result. :) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-15          68830

If you like the 790; stay with the recommended attachments. With a lift capacity of 815 lbs. you would be over the maximum limits of the 790 with the MX5 weighing in at 823 lbs.. I would suggest a similar model tractor in the same product line for what you are proposing. The 990 has a lift capacity of 2,020 lbs. as well as the hp (35 pto hp) to turn the heavier duty and larger rotary cutters such as the MX5. Weight wise you could handle the MX6 or even the 609HD but fall short on the required pto hp. Although John Deere recommends the MX5 for the 990; you would meet the requirements for the MX6 in both pto hp & lift capacity. You will have to juggle the numbers and requirements against your wallet and size likings. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-15          68859

With the new reduced power it might cause problems with the conditions that you have mentioned. The majority of the people youatalkto have the older higher horsepower ones that they are used to running. ....

View my Photos
hared1112
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-18          69031

I have a 790 with an MX-5 mower and have had no problems, even when cutting weeds I let get too tall. It seems to have plenty of power to handle it. It lifts the MX-5 without difficulty, although I am careful to not fully lift it any more than I really need to (usually just to get in/out of the barn). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-18          69032

hared1112, does your 790 have the older 30 hp engine or the newer 27 hp one? They reduced the hp on these sometime earlier this year. ....

View my Photos
hared1112
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-18          69034

It's the 30 hp model. I got it in March, 2002. When I let the weeds get too tall, I had to drop down a gear, but it still handled it fine. Since I only use it around our property, I haven't had a reason to go anywhere lengthy with the MX-5 up in the air, but it doesn't appear to have any problems lifting it. I have overloaded the FEL a few times and had to back off a bit. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-18          69036

I guess the question I have is "If the lift capacity is limited now. What will happen when the system is older and not to factory specs?" We all know that as the pump wears the pressure will decrease etc. Having had an older 750 which has the same trans lift etc. Even a mid duty 4 ft rotory cutter taxed the 3 pt. I guess I would rather have capacity to spare than settle for maybe just enough, when at new specs. I certainly do not want to have to rebuild the system after 5 or 6 years. The more we tax the system the faster it is going to wear so it is a bit of a two edged sword. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-18          69040

I agree with Eric's point. The 790 is rated at 24 pto hp. and the MX5 requires a MINIMUM of 25 pto hp. Tax the tractor at or beyond its limits is ill advised at best. You can do this and take it easy with it and probably not have any problems or you can damage the pto power train of the tractor with severe use such as this. Add to this the issue of hanging nearly 40% of the tractors weight (2150) off the back and you are going to have weight distribution problems. Just not a good idea. Better to move up to a tractor rated for a cutter this size or larger or stay within the equipment design. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-18          69047

I agree. If you use implements that are not within the limitations of the tractor that would constitute abuse, and JD would be within their rights to deny any warranty claims. The upside doesn't seem worth the potential downside. Are you sure the LX series of rotary cutters wouldn't do the job? If not you could rent something to cut once and then keep it down with the LX cutter. ....

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-11-20          69145

Hi all. I've been out of town for a few days & just got back & saw all your replies. I appreciate all the good info & it's given me some things to think about that I hadn't considered. I'm now leaning towards something with a little more pto power & lift capacity. Your input is much appreciated.

Mike ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login