Go Bottom Go Bottom

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-09          68317

I have a JD 2210 with about 20hrs on it. The recommended 1st oil change is at 50 hrs. I assume it has a breakin oil that they want you to run for the full 50 hrs.

I won't be building on my new acreage until next spring/summer, so I won't be running it this winter. I will probably put it in storage with about 30 hrs on it. My question is, is it ok to leave the breakin oil in it for an extended storage period? It's pretty black already (it is a small diesel). Or should I just go ahead and change the oil at 30hrs and put it up for the winter?

I intend to talk to my dealer about this, but I thought I'd get some opinions from the board first.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-09          68321

I don't think that Deere uses a specific oil for break-in, but rather the same oils you would normally use for the life of the tractor.

In your situation, I would not put the tractor to bed for the winter with the old oil in place. Considering it only takes two quarts and a 7 buck filter the cost is minimal. Your hydraulic fluids are good for storage as they are.

I would still change all the fluids and filters at the 50 hour level next year.

As an aside, does your 2210 have a tachometer with an hour meter embedded in it? ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward

2003-11-09          68327

Yes, the hour meter is imbedded in the tach. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-09          68330

Actually John Deere does use a break in oil in their engines. Here is the link to the information on that oil. You will have to register and sign in the jdparts web site to view it.

http://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/expert/pmac/fb_BreakInOil.htm

You our case, the engines in our tractors are not John Deere engines. Yanmar makes them and JD imports them. I am not certain that Yanmar uses a break in oil however, the John Deere mechanics and service techs I have spoken with about this said that it is critical that the factory oil remain i the engine for a minimum of 50 hours to facilitate break in especially in the piston ring department.

I would change your oil & filter before you put the tractor into storage, but I would recommend using break in oil for this oil change. The part for the 1 gallon container of break in oil is TY22041. When you get to 50 hours or more, you can change over to your choice of appropriate engine oil. I use the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50.

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward

2003-11-10          68437

Thanks for all the good info. I will change the oil with breakin oil & filter b4 putting it up for the winter. Should be a little over half way through the breakin period, so that should work out just fine. Thanks again. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-12-31          72783

Okay, I just had my 2210 into the dealer for the 50 hr service (it actually had 57.5 hrs on it). While reviewing my bill, I noticed that they itemized 2 qts of JD Break-in Oil. So I asked, and was told by the service manager that the break-in oil should stay in the engine until the 200 hr service. I can’t find anything about this in the manual or on the web. Does this sound correct? ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-31          72787

I think it sounds right, and here's my logic. IMHO a gas engine isn't really broken in until around 10-12k miles, and that's when I always switch from dino oil to synthetics. 50 hours on a tractor is roughly equivalent to 3-4k miles on a car. Not scientific but it makes sense to me. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-12-31          72798

I changed oil to Rotella synthetic at 50hrs. The engine used about 1/2qt. during the 1st 50hrs. Since then it hasn't used a drop in 40 more hrs. I have to assume that for all practical purposes my engine is broken in. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-01-07          73402

I was told to use break-in oil on my 2210 w/ Yanmar up to 100 hours, then go with premium oil. That is the same spec that JD publishes with its break-in oil even though their small diesels are exclusively Yanmars. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-04-16          83280

My dealer said they don't use the break-in oil, and suggested the standard 15-40 (talked with several of the mechanics as well as the parts guy, got the same response). What is the risk of not using the break-in oil? Especially when doing the first change at less than 50 hours?
Thanks, T ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-04-16          83293

Does anyone know what specifically is different in the formulation of ”Break-in Oil" verses a "Standard" 15W-40? The difference(s) may help explain its importance (or “why” its used). ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-04-17          83401

um i would leave the oil in and then change it AFTER storage, since condensation, etc. will occur while it sits so you will slightly contaminate your brand new oil for nothing. unless of course you plan on doing both changes, in that case go for it.

ps break-in oil is designed to allow things to wear in properly when new/rebuilt as nowadays has additives to facilitate this, where as after break-in of course we want as little wear as possible which is what regular oil is designed for. i believe it is usually thinner as well, i think years ago 10w was a common break-in oil. ....

Breakin oil for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-04-20          83722

ScooterMagee, I have seen the breakdown of the Break-in oil and it's all gobble-dee-gook to me. The bottom line, according to JD corporate and my dealer's tech, is that it is a lighter oil without any detergents or additives that are normally added to the "high-end" oils--just like Denno said. This allows for PROPER wear during seating of the rings, etc. Per my dealer, and after verifying this throught JD, I changed my break-in oil at 25 hours and replaced it with fresh break-in oil. I ran that to 50 hours and then began running JD 15w-40 (on both my 2210 and now my 4110). I will probably change it again at 75 hours then move to a synthetic at 100 hours. All of the folks "in the know" I have talked to think it is a good plan, but probably not even necessary. I go a little over the top on my service for peace of mind. When in doubt, do what the manual says: change factory oil at 50 hours to 15w-40 for most applications. The factory oil is most definately break-in oil. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login