Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone use an Optima battery in their JD tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-05          68061

Has anyone here installed an Optima or other AGM battery in their 10 series JD tractor? I'm looking for the part number of an AGM battery that will replace the standard JD battery LVA11725. The guys at AutoZone were most unhelpful and the Optima website doesn't have an application match for my 4310 tractor. I also emailed Optima but they haven't responded after a couple of days.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-05          68062

I get all of my odd batteries at BatteriesPlus. They have never failed to have what I need for my fork lift or any other odd application. They carry Optima and have an 800 number on the website. (link below)

We used Optima batteries in the Baja race cars with good results. ....

Link:   Batteries Plus

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68063

Thanks, AC, I'll give 'em a call. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-11-05          68066

Wouldn't one of those Delco Freedom batteries be just as good? They are a sealed battery, so nothing can leak on your tractor's radiator or trans cooler.

Just a thought. Might be cheaper than an Optima. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-05          68071

Billy;
The Delco Freedoms are vented batteries and will leak if overcharged etc.
The Optima are valve regulated batteries where then acid is held in a glass fiber matt. The matt is not fully saturated so acid will not necessarily leak even if the case is damaged.
The plates are under high pressure so that the paste stays on the plates even if they are pounded around.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68072

Billy, thanks for your recommendation. I'm not being very logical here, but due to terrible experiences I prefer not to buy any products from GM or their affiliates. There are good reviews of Delco Freedom batteries on the web, and they may well be great batteries, but I have a problem feeding the machine that screwed me. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-05          68073

Ken, our tractors take a wierd group size battery and it is the ONLY one that will fit. My computer eat the book marks I had for the batteries I found that will work. Let me research it again and I will get back to you. I think the battery group size is NF but I need to go back and verify. CRS is hell! ;-) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68074

Don't sweat it Chief, and there's probably no need to go to any trouble. I've sent emails to BatteriesPlus and Exide to see if they have something that fits. Exide makes AGM batteries too. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-05          68076

Ken the battery group size is 22NF. Do a google search for that size and you will see some sealed type batteries. I already checked; Optima does not make that size and the battery requires special tie down lugs on the side and that specific size to fit in front of the trans. oil cooler. I will post some links when I find them. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-05          68078

The part # for your battery is TY25258 and is lists for $74.28. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-05          68080

Ken, here are the batteries I was looking at for when I change mine.

Link:   AGM batteries

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68081

Chief, are you sure the hold-down lugs and terminal orientation of the group 22NF battery is correct? I wouldn't want the terminals to be on the radiator side of the battery case. Well, I suppose I could reroute and/or change cables to handle swapping the terminals from left to right but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Dimensionally the group 51 and 51R batteries are about the same. I'm still searching for details on the hold-down lugs and terminal orientation. Found a few BCI group charts that specify L/RH terminals but I'm not sure what the heck that means without a definition or diagram. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68082

Chief, what is the part number TY25258 you gave me? Is that a JD battery, Optima battery, or other? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-05          68083

Ken as far as I know, it has to be a BCI Group 22NF or it will not fit. I went through this with Jimmy at the John Deere dealer. The only battery John Deere makes in this spec. is the Strong Box Hibernator. I was hoping John Deere made one of their spiral cell batteries in this size but no dice. Look at the battery hold down clamps and the orientation of the terminals and you will see what I am talking about. ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2003-11-05          68090

Keep in mine these are not trucks with suspention. the battery in you tactor was build so the plate don't come lose from the bounce of a ruff ride. You need a ruff service battery or it won't last long at all. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68091

That's a good point. Rough service is supposed to be one of the strengths of Optima batteries, but since Optima doesn't make a group 22NF battery I'll have to get something else. The link Chief posted looks promising. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-06          68127

I can tell you for a fact that the Optimas do stand up to rough service. We Baja tested them.

We also used smaller Optimas than the regular batteries originally designed for the race cars. I believe that they deliver more amps from a smaller package. I don't know how JD mounts the battery, but smallness is usually beneficial. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-06          68133

The JD battery is sandwiched between the radiator and the grill and can't be more than 5.5" or so in width. That really narrows the replacement field down based on specs of various BCI group numbers. There are hold down brackets on each end as well, which means the battery should be right around 9" long with lugs on each end if you want to use the factory clamps and not jury rig, er, fabricate a different hold down. You also don't want the terminals right next to the radiator due to the potential for shorts so if you don't want to buy longer battery cables and reroute them you're pretty much stuck with the group 22NF battery as far as I can tell. Unfortunately 22NFs aren't as commonly available as regular group 22 or 24 batteries. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-07          68180

I don't know if Exide is another name for Optima, but I've been running an Exide in my Ford for over three years now. There's the occasional 10-mile highway trip but the turfs give a smooth ride so the battery probably gets less bouncing around than field work with ags. It's been a good battery. It exceeded the Ford 1710 battery specs and still fit into the box and uses standard cables and hold downs. It vents through the caps. I face the notches forward and there hasn't been a corrosion problem. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-07          68236

Ken;
The batteries Chief found are likely East Penns. I recognise the cases. I am not sure that there is any minor battery manufacturer in OR although Exide or Delco may have a plant. Delco does make its separators there for the regular flooded LA batteries. East Penns Deka site lists the 22NF in a gel and an AGM. I am sure you likely have a Deka dealer local.
I personally like Deka as they are OEM on most of the large trucks and tractors.
Chief JD does not make any batteries. There are only 5 or 6 major manufactures in the US and JD is not one of them. Delco is the only one own by a engine manufacturer. Even Yuasa is part of Exide. ....

Link:   Deka

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-07          68241

Thanks for the info Peters!

I used their dealer locater and it said the nearest dealer to me was in Phoenix - a mere 1500 miles away!

However, I talked to a local distributor who said they could get me one of those MK 22NF AGM batteries Chief pointed out but the guy told me I wouldn't be happy with it and would bring it back within a week. When asked why he said they just didn't have enough cold cranking amps. I told him the specs said they had 490 CCA (the standard JD battery is 500) and he said he had sold several to tractor owners and they always came back due to hard cranking probs. I dunno.

I may give up and just buy another JD battery. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-07          68244

There is a dealer in Vancouver. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-08          68288

The AGM batteries are better for some traction and storage applications. They are not the best for CCA. The Optima get around the problem by increasing the electrode plate sizes. They are more like a capacitor than a conventional battery.
The batteries have a lower self discharge than a regular wet lead acid battery. They have been used for years in restored antique cars that are only started occasionally. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2017-01-05          196044

I realize this is an old post but it appears to be the last post from Peters. His private message feature is turned off. I was trying to get in touch with him as it appears we may me neighbors of sorts. Does anyone know how to contact him? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2017-01-05          196045

By the way, I came across this thread looking for more up to date information on batteries for my John Deere 4410. Do you still have your 4310 Ken? How is the replacement battery you put in yours back in 2008? Mine lasted from 2003 to now. Mine will still start my tractor in warm weather but falls on its face when cold. I have to keep a charger/maintainer on it to just barely get enough juice to start up in cold weather now. I may just go with an Optima Red Top D51R I think it is? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2017-01-05          196046

Hi Randy, it's been a long time. Yep, still have the 4310 and the MK AGM battery is still doing it's job. Never had it on a charger. Starts just fine in cold weather and I've been very happy with it. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2017-01-06          196047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief | view 196044
Does anyone know how to contact him?Thanks.

Hi Chief, I sent you his last registered email address. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2017-01-06          196048

Thanks Dennis! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2017-01-08          196062

Wow, it seems like old home week!!!

For what it's worth, we've had the best luck with OEM lead acid batteries, they're spendy, but the cheapest in the long run.

The battery in the L4310 I have at home is the one it came with, in 1999.....

I've learned through one of our supplier that Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls and are top drawer stuff. Really good bang for the buck.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2017-01-08          196066

Hey Murf, been a long time, hope you are doing well.

On the JD 4310/4410 style machines lead acid batteries are a bit problematic. The battery is directly in front of the radiator and during operation battery gases are drawn through the radiator causing corrosion. The AGM battery solves that problem neatly. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2017-01-08          196068

I'm doing reasonably well thanks Ken.

A tablespoon of mineral oil in each cell of a battery will not only prevent acid spitting and corrosion problems, but also eliminates the need to add water if its overcharged or a trickle charger left on it for an extended period of time.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2017-01-08          196069

Hey Ted! Been a LONG time! Good to see you on the forum. Hope life is doing well by you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login