Go Bottom Go Bottom

What John Deere to buy for 10 acres

View my Photos
adgjlasfjl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-22          66835

I recently bought 10 acres. No trees, all hill ground. that's been used for hay several years. And was wondering what you guys thought about what model would work best for me. I'm considering the 2210, 4010, 4100, 790 series models. I need one with a mower and maybe later front loader bucket. I want a 4WD. Next year someone will cut the hay for me, but after that I may want to buy a haybailer. Do any of these fit a haybailer? Any of these models work or is their a better model? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-22          66837

I don't diddly about hay, but I would bet you won't find a baler that works on any of those machines. I poked around on the web for just a few minutes and the smallest baler I found required something like 40 pto horsepower. I think you'd be looking at something like a JD 5205 tractor at a minimum. As a suggestion, it might be a good idea to research balers first to find out what the requirements are, then shop for a tractor that meets those requirements.

Somebody with haying experience will probably correct me if I'm wrong here. ....

View my Photos
adgjlasfjl

2003-10-22          66838

I'm not sure if after next year I will bail hay or not. If I decide not too. What series would you suggest? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-22          66841

Since you mentioned hay bales I'm sure you'll want to move them around with the tractor since they're heavy. The weight of those bales depends on the type (round or rectangular) and size of the bales. I understand that some of the big round bales can weigh 1500 lbs or more. None of the tractors you listed will lift that much weight.

What else do you need to do with the tractor? Do you need to plow or blow snow? Bush hog? Move the earth (till, plow, plant, excavate)?

To some extent you may have some conflicting needs. If you want a nice manicured lawn a tractor big and heavy enough to lift those giant hay bales may do some turf damage. If you have a relatively small area to finish mow it may make sense to get a small riding mower and a bigger machine for the heavy work. That's what I'm doing. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66844

John Deere's 348 Square baler requires 35 pto hp. min. so you could use a 4610/4710 if you were wanting the ehydro and other accompanying features. The 447 Round baler requires 45 pto hp. min. You will have to move up to an Ag tractor for that. I am kinda partial to the square bailer as the bails can be stacked under cover fairly easily and you can sell them more readily as compared to a round bale. Definitely much easier to move with a compact tractor. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-22          66845

Just a few thoughts, of haying ten acres and the machinery needed to maintain it. Tractor,lets take a large frame thirty plus pto horsepower or about 40 engine for stability on the hills and just enough power. That will run a 6' or 7'twin spindle offset bush hog style mower for trim mowing, let's be real,who doesn't want a loader, to move a stone, or fill a hole, or pick up some branches or round bales. Probably better put a remote on the tractor so I can get hydraulic rotation on the snow blower and it would also run a hydraulic tooth box blade. I haven't even gotten to mowing hay yet with a nine foot wide mower conditioner that goes up and down with that valve too, much less a rotary rake and baler. What type of baler, round means you need the loader to load and unload, and you will need a trailer of sorts to carry them. The little CASEIH or Hesston will work for one. If the choice was for square there are several ones out there that will work in the small sizes with that size tractor. Probably need at least a couple of wagons and either way of baling you neede a place to store it or to market it quickly. To buy the haying equipment alone, new could cost up to 50,000 with not even having a tractor, but not likely and could buy used and hope it would work right and not break down as you would be using it more than likely on the weekends. Did I miss anything? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66847

The more I think about this, I just cannot see how you could justify the cost of a baler and all the other equipment such as tedders, sickle bar or disc mowers, etc. for 10 acres. Unless you just like to do this kinda stuff as a hobby and can afford the cash out lay or hire out to bale hay. It would probably be better to either lease it out for hay or just mow is yourself and buy any hay you may want. For 10 acres, something along the lines of a 4310 should be more than plenty. Hope I did not come across in a bad way, just wanted to point those things out if you had not considered them. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-22          66851

Youch, Art! That's a lot of money for equipment that will spend 11 months a year in the barn.

Leaving the hay completely out of the equation, it often seems that tractors with around 25 pto horsepower are considered a good size for general purpose use on properties that large. I have 15 acres and the 4310 does everything that needs doing here. If you want a little more power and don't mind shifting your own gears and doing without bells & whistles a JD 990 is a lot of tractor for the money (35 pto hp). Again, if you need to haul around hay you need to figure the size of your bales and get something that has the lift capacity necessary to do the job. Some of the big round bales weigh more than a ton. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-22          66852

The fifty is pushing it a bit Ken but lets say 5,000 for a baler and 3000 for the mower thats still good quality used that has a lot of life left. You still have the tractor and maintence equipment which will easily be in the twentys. Thats a lot of investment in a ten acre piece. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-22          66854

Yep, it sounds like it would be better for haying to either rent the equipment when needed or contract it out. That way he could avoid the up-front costs as well as ongoing maintenance and depreciation. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-22          66858

I have a 9 acre hay feild and too was thinking I would like to do it myself but learned real fast like it's been said , lot's of dollars to spend for such a small hay field. I was able to lift 1100 lb bales with my 790 ( the specs say it will only lift 860 lbs or so)As you can see in one of my pics it's almost bigger than my tractor.(VERY UNSAFE)I had a barrel of water on back for ballast and still was very unstable when trying to move. After that day I gave up on that idea. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-22          66859

The smaller round baler that I referenced bales a 700 lb bale. It is about 40" wide and four foot in diameter and they can be handled by a compact in the range I stated earlier easily. That size tractor is also needed for a conventional 9' mower conditioner. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-22          66860

I am sorry but the questions were.
Do any of these fit a haybailer?
Yes there are new balers available that can operate these machines. Most are made in Japan for their small farms. They are sold here for pine straw which is used for mulch. See the link below for one manufacture. Internet search pine straw balers for more.
Any of these models work or is their a better model?
I would think you would want to go to at least the 4210 for field work on a hill side.

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors What John Deere to buy for 10 acres

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-22          66861

Just got carried away here I guess! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66863

Great link Eric! I had no idea somebody made equipment that small. Learn something new everyday. Thanks. Do you have any info. on costs of this equip.? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-22          66864

Peters, those are cute, er, I mean cool! It looks like most of the big farm equipment is being downsized for the compact market. ....

View my Photos
Schlu42

2013-11-04          188280

Will any bailer attach to a 4710? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-11-05          188281

Schlu42 to TP. Did you look at the link on they hay baler above? Not sure on the 4710 hp but think it is larger than the required 30 hp they show. Now your finding a hay baler like this may be a different issue without ordering it. You may should begin a new thread on this topic for think it might get better attention. kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-11-05          188283

Unless you have a half dozen pumping oil wells on your ten acres bringing in unlimited funds I would go with hiring the baling done. A tractor big enough for a baler and moving hay around is going to be too big for general acreage work. A 30 - 35 HP four wheel drive compact with a front end loader and a box scraper will do an amazing amount of work. Add a rear mount finish mower, maybe a tiller and a snow thrower and you will have plenty of recreational farming without the hay baler.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2013-11-05          188284

I help a few people out baling small bails for horse people. Used equipment with some tinkering is fine for the hobby farm. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login