X585....Too much for 2 acres?????: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review X585....Too much for 2 acres?????: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-20-2003, 18:20 Post: 66668
Mozmud

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 X585....Too much for 2 acres?????

Help! I need a new lawn tractor, I like what John Deere has to offer in the X585 but....Would I be buying more than I really need. Will be mostly mowing (2 acres), some hauling(rock, branches, logs, etc..) I like the idea of a bucket attachment & snow blade. Best quote I've been given is $10,599.00 with $700 in free attachments.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-20-2003, 18:45 Post: 66670
Ducati996

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I suspect you will get some varied responses to your post. What it comes down to, will it do all the things you need it to do, and will you be happy with it? The machine itself is great and well made ! You will get good replys from people who have it..I dont think its too big for 2 acres, unless of course your 2 acres is already a golf course and needs nothing at all done to it. In my case my 2 acres needed a lot of work (at least 1 1/4 acre). It will take me some time to get it in the direction I want it w/ my 4100.
I dont use the 4100 for mowing or snow throwing(thats the Cub 3204's job). The 4100 I think would be too big for finish mowing because of turning radius. You wont have that problem with the x595. You might want a thrower with that X595, but that depends on you area of snowfall amounts. I guess the only thing that would strike as a negative with the X series, is the price. They are expensive, no doubt.
Good luck in the hunt!!

Ducati996

10-20-2003, 20:50 Post: 66684
Mozmud

Filter by User

I like the 4100 and the 2210 as well...if only I had more land and more to do. My husband thinks I'm nuts for wanting a larger tractor (He's the practical one). He thinks a larger deck makes for a more uneven cut...is this true?? He wants to stay in the 42 inch range, this would be a smaller Garden Tractor GT or GX series(For me... the more bells and whistles it has the better I like it). The X585 or X595...just the right size, 48 inch deck and up, larger (more expensive) bagger system, seems capable of doing what I want and more, but you're right....they are expensive! Thanks for your input!

10-20-2003, 21:01 Post: 66687
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I also think the only downside to the x595 is price. A 2210 has the same engine but comes standard with a rear PTO. For the money, I'd get the 2210, and it'll cost less than the 595 by the time you add the FEL, rear PTO..etc.

My 54" deck on the 2210 mows perfectly smooth and doesn't scalp on high spots (anti-scalping roller on the front lip).

I started out mowing a half acre of grass with a 38" rider. Then the grassed area grew to almost an acre. Went to a 42" then a 50" Craftsman. Now The 54". The bigger the better except for tight places.

10-20-2003, 21:11 Post: 66688
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The X495 in 2WS or perhaps one of the smaller gas powered models with a 48" or 54" mower might be a more wallet friendly and practical choice and be more acceptable to your husband? Will still many of the tasks and handle many of the impilments you are thinking of.

10-20-2003, 22:03 Post: 66690
Ducati996

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Wildman1
Thats funny I was going to suggest looking at the 2210 series but I didnt want to confuse the issue more...If the price is that close between the x595 and 2210, then go for the 2210 !!

Mozmud,
For 2 acres 54" is fine ! I do mine with a 44" and its great. 60" can scalp but it depends on system and rollers, you dont need it on 2 acres..

Good luck again !!

10-21-2003, 06:42 Post: 66698
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Getting away from being color blind here, you might look at the BX1500 Kubota for a full feature mini tractor. You can have a loader, the 48" deck so you can still get into tighter places then the 2210 due to it's size and have all the attachments you would like in a garden tractor size.

10-21-2003, 09:11 Post: 66712
itsgottobegreen

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I don't think the x585 is to large for 2 acres. I got a friend with a JD 430 w/60" deck on a 1.2 acres. He can get it done in 20 minutes. I still would go with the 2210, its almost the same price plus has more features. It also better on the braging rights. If you want to save a little, get the 54" deck and a curtis plow. The plow is loader mounted snow plow, it is cheaper and better when plowing snow. It can be used to stack snow, not just push it around. I know i use my 955 with on to plow snow commerically.

10-21-2003, 10:30 Post: 66716
ScooterMagee

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have 2.5 ac, and mow about 1.25 ac with my 2210 and 62 MMM. At first glance, I thought the 2210 would be too big, and was considering the X-series. After using the 2210, I have no regrets what-so-ever with my decision to go a little bigger. Now, at times I even wish I had gone with the 4110 or 4115.

10-21-2003, 12:55 Post: 66723
sergeant

That is a good price for the X595. I use a X485 on 51/2 acres I have a 45loader and alot of other bells and whistles on it and its fine for what I need right now. When I move to my lager place then I will Get Compact Utility Tractor. I think the X585 would be more suited to you needs than a 2210. The JD X585 has alot better ride than a 2210. To me the only real diffrence is the 2210 has a better loader capacity then the X-series. That is if you base it on attachments they both take the same attachments and I think the 2210 has a Higher Limited Cat1 lift capacity. I do like the Joystick on the 2210 for controling the loader over the X-series system. My opinion would be to stick with the X-series for two acres. In my 0pinion for 2 acres unless you really need a higher loader capacity the 2210 is overkill. But as other have said that is what the use. For the price the 2210 though is worth the money because you get alot of standard stuff like both rear and mid PTO and 3point which you have to pay extra for on the X-series. If you add that to the X-series Like I did. You may wish you bought the 2210 series. well good luck in your decision.

+

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 66668 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | Chief 5 | Ducati996 2 | itsgottobegreen 1 | kwschumm 1 | Mozmud 5 | ScooterMagee 1 | scotd1 1 | sergeant 1 | Wildman1 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob