Opinions on JD 4110: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Opinions on JD 4110: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-14-2003, 15:03 Post: 66234
"D"
2003-10-14 15:03:26
 Opinions on JD 4110

Hello all - I'm a very new guy when it comes to buying
mid size tractors. I have been beating the Ol Horse to death. I do not want to make any mistakes but this procrastination is driving me crazy. I located a good used JD 4110 with a front loader at below $13,000. I want to cut grass on 15 + - acres. I also want to add attachments for a 2 acre garden and maintain a small pasture. I do not want to end up with a tractor that is a small garden type that will be over worked. Also would like any information on transporting it. I thank all of you that can give me some
advice. "D"

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-15-2003, 09:05 Post: 66288
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

Dennis fixed the title to your post so now we can respond.

A couple of questions:

Is the 4110 a Gear or HST model?

And define mowing?

Fifteen acres is a LOT of mowing. Are you talking mowing grass as you might with a mid mount mower? Or are we on the brush hog sheet of music?

I think a 4110 can cut a 5 foot swath as a grass mower but can only run a 4 foot heavy brush cutter. Either way you wouldn't want to do 15 acres every week or even every month.

If you are knocking down weeds and grass twice a year, a 60 inch mower might work out.

As an aside, the 4110 is a very, very well made tractor.

10-15-2003, 09:31 Post: 66291
Ducati996

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Opinions on JD 4110

D,

I lost the links that gave you I guess a book value on
JD machines. The price you mentioned sounds ok but that depends on the hours and if its a HST machine. And if tax is involved (private or dealer sale).
Maybe someone has a good reference link for book values?
15 acres mowing is alot, I wouldnt want to tackle that much on any machine !! Hst is the desirable option, I have a 4100 gear ,4110 is the replacement with same spec's. I also bought used, with really low hours. I'm fine with a gear but i see the advantages with HST. Very capable machine, however I would say Mark has more experience and attachments with the 4110-4115 series than most, so I would pay close attention to what he advises on capabilities...

Ducati996

10-15-2003, 15:31 Post: 66316
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

D, I do sell for the other guys but you are going to be taxing that tractor a lot. I'd be looking for a bigger one. Probably the 30 horsepower range would be the best.

10-15-2003, 19:46 Post: 66324
DTNPROP

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

Thanks Mark - It is the HST - and I have an orchard and
5 or so acres around it. It does get quite long at
times. I heard from a couple of others and I'm thinking
it will be a little small for my ranch with some hills
and such. I will look around for a good clean one a little larger. Don't want to bog down and wear it out. Saw
another one larger and also a New Holland any comments?
Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you all. "D"

10-15-2003, 19:53 Post: 66326
itsgottobegreen

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Opinions on JD 4110

The JD 4110 is a good tractor and will last a long time. But now how you plan on using it. I would go with a much large tractor, somewhere in the 4510-5220 range. 15 acres is a lot of grass. I would go with a pull behind wide area finishing batwing mower. There is a guy who lives around the corner from me. His front yard is 12 acres. He is cutting it with a 5410 w/loader and cab, that is towing a 15 ft finishing mower. Looks just like a golf course when is his done, because he cuts it every 3 days.

10-15-2003, 19:58 Post: 66327
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

D, you also had questions about transporting.... do you plan on trailering the beast? If so, that may well be a limiting factor.

10-15-2003, 20:39 Post: 66335
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

I'm inclined to agree with the above mentioned. 15 acres is ALOT of green to cut. I cut about 8 acres about every 10 days on average during the growing season and I am glad to have the 4410. I use a 72' MMM but I am obsesive about checking for rocks and debry. It is no brush hog. In heavy grass the engine still can get loaded down. Marks comment about towing it yourself is very valid. Mine is not so bad to tow in a tandem axle trailer with the loader and MMM removed, but all the trailer can handle with them on. What really piled the weight on was loading the rear tires. You can get all you want to cut done with the 4110 but not real fast. If you are wanting the small frame 4000 Ten Series tractor at least consider the 4115 with the substantial increase in hp and torque as well as a bit larger frame. Personally I would think the 4310 or 4410 or larger would be more in line from what you describe. They will give you the performance as well as leave you capacity for jobs you have not though of yet; which always seems to be the case. Rent one and see how it works out for you if you have any doubts. Definitely demo ALL the models you think you might have any interest in and go with what suits you best. Good luck!

10-17-2003, 11:28 Post: 66429
DTNPROP

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

Mark - Ducati996 - Art - itsgottobegreen - Chief -

Hope I got to all of you that replied to my question on the JD 4110. I have moved on with the comments as it would be over-worked and just under-powered. I drove to a

Dealer and he really has me mixed up suggested a 790 and one that was mentioned by one of you the 4610. Seems like there should be a big difference between them. The 790 was around $15,000 with loader. Which do you think is the better of the two? He also said if there are any hills to get the standard transmission. I think a used butnice 4610 is $16,000. Thanks guys - hope to hear from you
soon.

"D"

10-17-2003, 11:48 Post: 66433
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Opinions on JD 4110

The 790 and the 4610 are both great tractors but the sales guy is mixing apples and oranges. If you want a solid well built but basic conventional tractor the 790 is the tractor you may want but in this case, I would suggest the 990 in 4WD as it has the hp, torque, and weight to handle more of what your wanting to do with it. The 790 will do but take longer. If you prefer ehydro (and I certainly do) the 4610 in 4WD is the best bet for the money spent in the large frame 4000 Ten Series tractors. I don't know what the salesman is referring to about not being good on hills. Once I figured that 4WD is essential on ANY type of slope of hill, my 4410 is great on hills. The ehydro works to control the speed for me and definitely saves me time and repetition when turning around and in tight spots. The ehydro is also very handy well hooking up to an impliment, trailer, etc to move. The 4610 will give you more abilities down the road and that is not a bad price. How many hours on it? There is not so much a better of the two in this case but more of which will meet your needs and expectations best. I would suggest the 4610. Just remember that this is a good bit larger tractor than the 790 or 4110. Will that be an issue? If not, I say go for the 4610. I don't think you will be dissappoint reguardless of which tractor you go with. Again, just to put it in a nut shell...... if you want basic features go with the 990, bells and whistles with ehydro, get the 4610.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 66234 Filter by Poster:
"D" 1 | Art White 2 | Chief 11 | DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 2 | DTNPROP 17 | Ducati996 1 | itsgottobegreen 1 | kwschumm 7 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob