Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
jan6720
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-06          65667

Using my brush cutter yesterday in deep brush. Disengaged PTO, Idled down, Parking Brake on, and in Neutral gear I got off to move a tree branch out of the way. The tractor died and now will not restart. The PTO light comes on when I turn on the key but PTO was disengaged prior to getting up off the seat. How can I start the durn thing so I can move it to work on it???

Thanks,

SJ

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-06          65670

Flip the seat forward and see if there is a pressure switch under the seat (operator presence switch). Pull the switch up, set the brake, put the tranny in neutral and try it from there. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-06          65672

Try moving the PTO lever and tranny shifters around, sometimes they need a little jiggling to find the neutral position.

Best of luck. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
jan6720

2003-10-06          65680

Yep. Tried that to no avail but thanks. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
jan6720

2003-10-06          65681

Yep, tried that too. No luck but thanks. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-06          65682

Ok..... if the tractor died when you got out of the seat, we can surmise that the op/presence system shut it down. So maybe the switch that sends the "I am in neutral" signal is the problem.

That would shut it down combined with the seat switch and by itself would keep it from re-starting. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-06          65685

I'm going to go for the PTO switch being the culprit, if the light is on put the PTO is out of gear the switch is sensing that it is or the light would not come on.

Try to find the wire to the switch behind the panel, if it is easily accessible you may be able to unplug it, or ground it out, depending on wether it is a 'normally open' or 'normally closed' type of circuit.

Best of luck. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
Billy

2003-10-06          65686

Murf has got you on the right track! Have you tried engaging and disengaging the PTO, since this has happen? If not, do it. If yes, do it again, several times.

Good luck
Billy ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-06          65693

I'm tracking with Billy and Murf. If the pto light is on when you turn on the ignition switch, the safety interlock sensing a signal that the pto is engaged will not allow the tractor to start. If you are lucky, might just be some dirt or grit in the pto switch and actuating the pto engagement several times may clear the stuck switch. You should be able to watch the pto engaged light to see if it goes out. If it does, I bet it starts. Good luck. Hope you can fix it fast and on the cheap! ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-06          65705

If it's a safety switch, jumpers are sometimes put across safety switches for testing purposes. It does disable a safety feature and warranties and insurance along with it, but it would get the tractor started. Guess I've got to say that jumpers would work with the simple systems I'm familiar with. I couldn't say if there'd be a possibility of damage to newer systems that may involve computer chips and who know what else. ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-07          65723

jan6720,

What is the latest situation on your tractor? Were you able to get it to start? ....

PTO Safety Interlock

View my Photos
jan6720

2003-10-09          65882

As it turns out, some brush caught the lower wiring harness tube and pulled the wires out of the PTO Interlock switch. I was pretty sure it was part of the PTO interlock system but I don't have a service manual so couldn't physically find the switch in my initial troubleshooting. Got some good input here and from the local dealer, found the switch under the seat LH shroud cover and confirmed the problem. Guess it's not an uncommon problem to have something snag that lower harness tube and do damage. I zip-tied the thing down every way from Sunday and just put a wire nut on the sense line to the PTO interlock. Voila, tractor starts and I continue to shave the earth. OK, ok, just so you know I did order a new connector but the jury is out on whether or not I will install it when I get it. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

SJ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login