Go Bottom Go Bottom

Newbie looking for JD or Kubota

View my Photos
thebigG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-03          65396

Hi All, I have been reading your messages and responses and you guys know more about CUT's than any one I have talked to yet. I need help on a first time purhcase. Can you guys recommend a machine based on the information below. Here is my situation:

1) I have 4 acres: 3 heavily wooded, 1 turf/garden. Would like to clear one acre for kids to play baseball/football, and would like to make paths for kids to ride bikes and walk. Need to move several large boulders, move earth, general land clearing.

2) Need to cut grass, rake leaves in fall and general turf maintainence for nice green lawn. Other anticipated uses: snow removal, pull hay wagon for kids, small veg. garden, dig post holes, fall leave pick on lawn and in woods, and general home owner tinkering.

3) Deere dealer only 3 miles away, Kubota dealer 15 miles away, Kioti dealer 20 miles away. I understand Deere and Kubota are most reliable, true or not? Both Deere and Kubota dealers seem to be reliable and nice. Kioti dealer seemed less so.

4) there are several used machines out there:

a. 1987 JD 750 loader, backhoe, snowplow, excellent shape, well maintained, 4wd $12,500, private owner

b. 1985 JD 750 loader, backhoe, poor shape, but seems to be in excellent running condition. Dealer says they replace everything. asking $14,000

c. 1987 JD 1050 loader, backhoe, good shape, dealer asking 15,500 (consignment for customer)

d. should I buy new? Deere, Kubota, or otherwise?

5. How much HP do I need? How much lift for loader is "enough"? And, any other things that I need to consider?

I know this is alot, but I don't want to rush into anything and I want to consider everything I need to make the best purhase.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-03          65407

Is the backhoe a necessary part of the equation? I notice all the tractors you list have one, but none have the mowing deck you need.

If you are planning on a three point mower that is no big deal, but if you want a mid mount it might be more difficult considering the age of the tractors. ....

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-03          65410

yeah, backhoe is need to rip out stumps, transplant many small schrubs and general fun.

I do anticipate mowing with mid mount. Do I need a newer 770 or 970 for that, in a JD? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-03          65413

I think the mid-mount mowers are pretty specific to a given model and all the tractors you list went out of production several years ago. It would require some research to either find a used deck or to find a compatible new deck.

I never have the cash to lay out for big purchases like this so I am usually attracted to zero down and longer finance term deals.

I think you should be able to find a new T/L/B + Mower package in todays market for about $400 a month on a 5 year loan.

It would be real easy to spend $400 a month on rental equipment and only get two days of use for that amount of money.

If you shopped for something like a BX22 it might even be a bit cheaper. ....

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-03          65417

Yeah, I was considering new too. Is the 790 enough power to do the things I want to do? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-03          65422

The 790 is a nice tractor that has been around for a long time. It has a rather large hump between your legs. All the newer design compacts have flat floors.

The reason a flat floor is great:
1) Easier on and off.
2) Much easier to shift in the seat when backing up. I think if you ever use a flat floor tractor for a couple of hours with a loader you will prefer the flat floor over the hump.

The 790 is a pretty big heavy machine, just about too big and heavy for an Acre of grass.

I think I would go lighter if mowing and snowblowing will be your main chores. If you are considering a rear blower once again the flat floor will make you happier, though besides the money factor a Front blower is easier on your neck and faster too.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-03          65431

Thanks for all your imput, so far. I was planning to use the loader to move snow around, I hadn't considered a blower. I thinking intially, my use would be land clearing and path building, then as a mower second. That's why I thought the loader and b/h would be most useful for the next year or two.

Do you think to JD 4110 is too light for decent loader and backhoe use?

I tested a used 4300, with 400 hrs on it. It was nice, but big. Not that big is bad, but they are asking $20,000 (includes new loader and mower deck). The hydro is easy to operate, but I am not afraid of a clutch. But, I have never used a machine before in my life, so it seems it would be more work with the clutch and brake. I assume I would get used to it, but maybe the hydro is the way to go. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65433

I always buy cars and trucks with sticks (getting hard to find at times) but I went with hydro on my tractor and I really like it. For me, driving a tractor is a lot different than a car/truck. You end up changing directions a lot when using the loader, maybe hundreds of times when moving a big pile. That said there are some non-hydro transmissions that are easy to reverse - JD's PowrReverser comes to mind and Kubota has one too. You can change directions on those by flipping a lever. I really like the hydro though. Incredibly easy to operate and a thumbs-up from my wife. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-03          65434

Since you seem to be talking about a new home site, you should keep in mind if you have never used a tractor before that a Compact Tractor is NOT a Bull Dozer, as I have learned that the hard way.

You will trash your loader if you try to dig hard rocky soil with it. To dig with the loader you will need a tooth bar.

Frankly, when I was building my house I had a guy come with a FULL size Backhoe for my Perc test hole. Since I had him I started him cutting a hole through a fieldstone wall, and cutting a bit of the drive. Even that Full size rig could not really dig with the bucket well, so he was using the backhoe to excavate.

What a complete mess they made, finally the guy came over to me and my contractor and said this ain't such a great idea, you need a dozer. The phrase he used was "this is like a monkey ____ a football". I have always kept this in mind when thinking about what's the right machine to do what with.

When I got a huge Komatsu in, while really big, it did a nice neat job because it was the right machine for cutting, stumping, and grading. Made short excellent work of it and it only took him hours, not weeks or years to accomplish, and cost less than the interest on a compact tractor.

Compact Tractors can do alot of stuff, they are definitely better suited to finish work after a Dozer and track hoe have done all that they can do.

You will definitely find much value in a compact tractor, and hiring out the stumping and rough grading to a dozer (if you have this kind of work) for a day or two will extend the life of your machine (err Toy) and actually give you more satisfaction.

If you do eventually want to mow with it you are going to want a "live pto" that is standard on a hydro trans.

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-03          65436

yeah, I really liked the hydo on a recent test drive on a 2000 4300, predecessor to 4310, Nice machine. What do you think of the JD 4115? I understand there is a backhoe for it now. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65438

Mark Hunstiger is the man to ask. He has a 4115 with a 46 backhoe now and previously had a Kubota BX22 and JD 4100 (I think). He will probably check in later today. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-04          65546

Are you guys taking my name in vain?

I am VERY impressed with my 4115. Just the other day I was using it to spot my 5th wheel (4000 pounds) in a very tight parking space. I had to push it up a dirt slope, and over a couple of "speed bumps" and rocks that I was too lazy to move out of the way. I just figured I would use the 4wd and low range to grunt it out.

When I was done I noticed I had done the whole operation in 2wd. It never even slipped a wheel.

Somehow, the slightly increased weight over the 4100 Gear, coupled with the longer wheelbase and the HST, all come together to provide a noticeable increase in traction, drive-ability and "work-power".

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-06          65677

Thanks for that feed back. It's great. I am also looking at a used 750, does anybody have a G2 on these machines?

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-07          65739

Sounds like for what your going to do you need something big. A 4210 or 855 at the smallest. If you want to do all that work with it. I would buy it with a loader, 60" mower, from then dealer, you can buy an aftermarket vac unit cheaper. They buy or rent an aftermarket backhoe. Get something with 4x4 and hydro trans. You thank me later after doing some heavy loader work. Look around you can probly find a used "_55" with what you need. I looked for 2 years and found a 955 with loader and 60" mower for $8500 in very good shape. Having friends that work at the JD dealer really help, i was told about the day they traded it. They did some work on it and i brought it home. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-07          65753

G just out of curiosity why no mention of NH. Sounds like I have a very similar property to yours with some horses, goats and donkeys thrown in. I have a NH TC33D FEL and it has done everything I needed up to this point. Had dealer out today for quote on backhoe. Good luck looking. ....

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-07          65754

Hey drcjv,

I would love a NH, but there is no dealer with in a reasonable distance. Nice machines, but i need easy after market support. Bummer. Make me want to call NH and get a dealership here! ....

View my Photos
thebigG

2003-10-07          65755

Hey itsgottobegreen...I love the handle!

I really appreciate your feed back. I think your right about the power concerns. the local dealer has a 2000 4300 with a new FEL that they are asking $20,000. That seems high, but maybe I can add a backhoe, and save some $. Also, the new eHydro's seem to have some issues, but warrantee should take care of those conerns.

Also, saw a well maintained '87 750 with 1100 hours, FEL, backhoe (2 buckets) and snow plow, he' firm at $12500, but an '87 1050 with 850 hours a FEL and back hoe just traded for 15,500 in the area. Any thoughts on this situation? ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-10-12          66082

I would concur with DennisCTB; if you need digging done it is usually cheaper to get the proper size backhoe or high hoe in and have the job done once and for all than it is to
futz around with a loader and tractor. I use the tractor (4310) to do the cleanup; for the digging, I get the local contractor who gets everything done in short order - they know how to operate the equipment, and the cost per hour is reasonable.

View my Photos
tracer

2003-10-17          66450

Greetings
As a biased owner ( JD was my Greatx4) Granddad( yes really) and being the proud owner of 8 acres, 3.5 grass, rest woods and also being the proud :) owner of a 2002 790 with 419 FEL I think a 790 would do you well. However I would recommend asking to rent a 790 first and trying out as many different tractors as is reasonably possible before going out and spending your hard earned cash. I actually prefer the clutch to the HST but thats just how I was brought up and I need all the excercise I can get.
Really, try to get on and run as many different tractors as its YOUR preference that counts. Good Luck and let us know how you fare.
Tracer ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-17          66494

The older series 4000 had some issues with the front axles tearing turf up severly while turning. If they didn't have a mower on when sold they did not get the new front axles!! Beware!!!! Resale value is not that high by the auctions in the northeast because of that. A low houred 4300 with new fel should be about 16000. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login