Go Bottom Go Bottom

855 Hydraulic obstruction

View my Photos
winston4u
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-26          64897

Working on 855 with loader and #7 backhoe. Original problem was that all hydraulics were running slow. I have changed the spin-on filter and have cleaned the strainer under the conical cover near the PTO shaft. Loader and backhoe running much better, but hydrostatic drive still weak and sluggish, pedals do not return like usual, and can hear the pump straining to push (or pull) fliud and only quiets when actuating loader. This = obstruction(?) but where? Have I missed a strainer somewhere? Any/all ideas, help, suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-26          64923

Dan, have you changed the fluids? I believe they are seperate pumps and they might even have different filters and suction tubes. I'm not sure on that model as to the suction and filters but on other makes they do have seperate ones. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-26          64928

Winston;
Those are the only two fillers on the hydraulic system, per manual. I would check that the brakes are not dragging/locking on. Place it in neutal and give it a push on pavement.
The other logical thing is that the overload limit is sticking open. If you over pressure the system in drive (not recommended) the valve will open and release the pressure. You have to stop the tractor and allow it to reset. The peddles will feel spongy if you operate without resetting. I suspect this valve is sticking. Where it is located? I don't have a repair manual.
Peters ....

View my Photos
winston4u
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-26          64945

Thanks gentlemen. All sound advise.

Here's a couple more things I noticed this evening. The brake pedals are rock hard and, depending on which direction you're headed, the direction pedal will pull itself to the floor. Once that happens, the only thing that will return the pedals to the "neutral position" is a very firm press on already rock hard brake pedals, or carefully depressing the opposite direction pedal until the pedals get close to their neutral positions.

These symptoms seem to support both the overload limit valve problem and the posibility of brake problems that Peters was describing.

I have ordered a service manual, but it will be a week or so before it arrives. I'll check the brakes and do a little digging to see if I can spot the valve. In the mean time, If anyone out there knows where this valve is, I don't think I would mind a nudge in the right direction too much.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Dan ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-28          65040

Now Peters have we got a little practical experience going here? Good call!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login