Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Michael Spurgeon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-25          6287

First I apologize for cross posting this message on the main board, but I am new to this Web site and promise I will not do so again. My JD4400HST has been anything but free from defects. Thankfully the dealer is great about fixing those that they know how to fix. The biggest defect so far was the PTO locking up at 8 hours of use which required a major tear-down of the back half of the tractor. Since the tractor was new (currently with 50 hours) it has periodic power loss. It will work fine for a week or two and then without warning while I am driving down the road or even mowing my yard, suddenly lose RPMs and power requiring me to turn off the cruise control and let up on the pedal. If I am in road range axle on the road, I will have to stop the tractor and shift the axle into middle range to keep from stalling. Perhaps 15-30 minutes later, it is working fine and this will not occur again for another week or so. I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the sediment bowl, drained and flushed the fuel tank which did not help. This problem is not dependably repeatable for the dealer to experience and fix. Frankly, this new JD4400HST has had too many problems and if it were not such a workhorse when it was correctly working, I would rather have my JD955 or Kubota 9200HST back since neither one of them required repairs. If it were a car, I would be looking into Missouri's automobile lemon laws. Does anyone have any possible solutions to my power loss problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Michael Spurgeon

1999-07-25          6288

I tried to post this message on the John Deere board of this Web site, but in my two attempts, both of my messages ended up on the general board. ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Mike

1999-07-26          6289

Michael,you and i need to get together. I am the one that posted on the other. My 4400 had the same teardown at about 20 hrs. I am experiencing the power loss and so is a friend on his 4300 hst. the dealer is going to try putting a notch in the threads of his fuel cap to see if the fuel tank is vapor locking when lugging. I am worried that JD will not address this problem and we will be stuck later. The regional rep I am talking to is from K.C.(I live in Iowa). We should find as many people that have the same problems and all keep in touch. This could be a real help down the line. My feelings are all the same as yours. I am lucky enough to have kept the 955. let me know if you are interested in my meeting Aug. 2.Mike Morin ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Troy

1999-07-26          6298

I have had the same problem with power loss. I brought it back to the Dealer. They checked out the injectors, changed the fuel filter and was unable to find a problem. This was occuring when the tractor was new to around 15 hours. I have a little more than 30 on it now and haven't had the problem since. Please let me know if you get an answer to this problem.Thanks ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

1999-07-26          6300

Add me to the list. I was out cutting the weeds in our prairie this weekend. Since it was cut with a rotary mower a few weeks ago, I just went over it with the belly mower to knock the heads off of the thistles. The field slopes down in all direction from the center. All went well at first, but later in the cutting, the tractor hadly had enough power to get up the hill with the mower going - in any range. It seemed OK without the mower on. The strange thing is a bit farther up the hill, but still on the incline, it seemed to improve a bit even though the slope did not change much. Downhill and level ground it worked fine. This is with a 4300 hydro and 72" belly mower. We have a slight hill on our road that I drive on to get between the fields. When I have the loader and backhoe on, I have to let off of the pedal to have enough power to get up the hill. If anyone comes up with a solution, I would be glad to hear it. I have not talked to the dealer as yet, but will try him this week.Doug ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Tracey McCormick

1999-07-26          6320

I just purchased a 4300 HST for our horse stable business. Only about 4 hours so far and no problems. I am very interested in the outcome of this problem (in case I fall victim to the same thing) and would really appreciate it if all of you who have this problem could keep us updated as to your progress in getting a fix. By the way - 4300 HST FWD with DSCV (no mid-PTO) was $15500 (in San Diego). ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Dave

1999-07-30          6438

I just got a 4300 and only have 4 hours on it. I have not used the PTO yet but have done some grading with a box grader and have had it on the open road in the high range. So far it seems ok other than very limited power in high range. I came to a very small hill and the tractor stalls out. I needed to stop and shift into 2nd range to pull the most limited of grades. Does this seem normal or do I have a problem here? Dave ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-07-30          6444

My 4300 hydro did the same thing. My dealer adjusted the parking brake and the problem was resolved. Prior to the adjustment the tractor would only pull about 2300 rpm at transport speed in range C. After the adjustment the tractor will run about 2850 rpm at full transport speed. On a long hill it will drop back to about 2700 rpm. Since this is the rpm the tractor is rated at for full power I am satisfied. ....

JD4400 loses power--help

View my Photos
Michael Spurgeon

1999-08-05          6663

The power loss that my JD4400HST tractor periodically experienced has apparently been solved by the dealer together with Jd Tech Support. The dealer picked up the tractor the day after I contacted them and returned it a couple of days later. They adjusted (loosened) the SCV lever that operates the cylinder used to raise the mower deck so that the lever is self-centering because they were concerned that if it were not centered manually, it might leave the SC valve open slightly causing an extra load on the engine. More importantly, the dealer discovered that the parking brake had not been set to factory specs which is four clicks. It was only engaging with two clicks because one of the two brake cables (one to each brake) was factory-adjusted too tight which would cause the brake to drag; which would explain why, when I let up on the pedal when it was experiencing power loss while driving it down the road in road gear, that the RPMs would instantly return to normal. In the two weeks of loader work and mowing since the tractor was returned to me, it has functioned flawlessly like I expect.Mike ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login