Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
hmrholt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-20          62256

I'm getting a 4710 with a front end loader and an MX6 cutter for everything EXCEPT my yard. I will be cutting a 15 acre pasture once or twice a year, and planting/cutting grass filter strips around the upland parts of 73 tillable acres. Eventually I am planning on planting prairies if CRP doesn't go belly-up. I am leaning towards the R1 tire. Our soils are fairly silty....hard when dry and slick when wet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-20          62258

Read the "I hate my R4s" thread for all sorts of info on tires. I've posted a link to the thread here, but if that doesn't work click on the thread in the Hot Subjects box on the right of the screen. ....

Link:   I hate R4 thread

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-20          62259

If your main purpose is for field type work you can not go wrong with the R1s.

My old compact had r1s on it and I mowed the lawn with it and saw no damage to yard.

R1s will give you some bite when the grass and/or soil is damp. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
hmrholt

2003-08-20          62260

I read what I could but unfortunaly a lot of the messages are cut off. Given my situation where I'm doing light ag maintenance what possible advantage could there be in the R4 tire???? ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-20          62261

If you're a paid member your messages should not be cut off. Try clicking "login" at the top of the screen, login again, and see if that refreshes your cookie. If not maybe you need to delete the TractorPoint cookie and try again.

I was told that if I lost traction with R4's on hard, dry soil then the R1's might be even worse because of the smaller contact area. When the R1's sink in and get a good bite they would deliver better traction, but if the soil is too hard for the lugs to dig in the R4's would be better. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-20          62272

If the turf is that hard that the industrial and ag tires are having trouble getting a grip then the turf tires would give you the most traction. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-20          62280

hmrholt,

In this case, I would say save your money and go with the R-1 tires. They are standard and give you the most utility and especially so in the situations you describe. As Art said, the R-3 turf tires do have their place, but may not perform as well as the R-1's in other situations. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
boatman

2003-08-21          62312

Hmrholt,I would go with the R1 Ag tires. They will work excellent for you.

The R1 tires will work well in that silty soil and when it gets wet you will be glad you have them. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-21          62316

I too say R1's,sounds like you'll have with them beings your going to be using it as a tractor and not a high priced lawn mower. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-21          62320

R-1's are made to order for damp or wet soils and pasturelands. They are worse than useless on dry loose soils.

Even if you live in an environment that would normally call for R-1 tires, your tractor must be heavy enough to push the cleats into the soil all the way to the body of the tire.

If you can't get the cleats fully engaged, you should entertain the notion of a different tire. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-21          62339

The soil where I live varies from a "hard pan" or colichi to soft sandy loose soil. I use R4s. They provide acceptable traction in the loose stuff and don't beat you up when you have to drive on the colichi. This colichi is like concrete. I have to use my backhoe to break it for digging.

I have tried R1s on this before and hated them. They did not grip well and on the hard stuff, I felt like I was running over a rut everytime a cleat hit the ground. Bone jarring is the only phrase that I can come up with to describe it.

Some folks have had success with turf tires. Tire pressure seems very important with any tire to get a grip. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-21          62395

Just with ag tires alone there is a difference boys!!! A 23 degree bar on solid hard pack will give 7% more traction then a 35 degree R-1. If it is muddy (no rating) give me the 35 degree hands down seen it been there two tractors nearly stuck both new an one drives thru without a prolem the other nearly needing a chain. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-22          62432

Art, I agree with you about muddy conditions, but I got the impression reading the original post that he was talking about hard soil that got slick on the surface when wet, not particularly muddy.

My soil gets like that and it is like ice when it is wet. The cleats still don't sink into some of the places well. In the sandy areas, it doesn't make much difference whether it is wet or dry, but may even be slightly better.

Where I grew up in MO with black dirt and plenty of mud, we always used R1s and there were only a few times that those tractors were stuck. But when they were stuck, they were really stuck. (as in up to the axles and frame) ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-22          62437

Having the wrong tires on your tractor is like trying to walk on a marble floor with golf shoes or baseball cleats.

Turf tires are the equivalent of a good pair of running shoes. You can go almost anywhere in them (and play any sport) with a reasonable expectation of success. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-22          62438

Now THATS a good analogy, Mark. It describes exactly what happens with tires in terms anyone can understand. ....

Ri vs R4

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-22          62467

I bet when he was writting tickets he would have people saying thank you! Good call, the R-1's would be what I'd recommend with a good open print, and steep bar angle. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login