Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 54” MMM lock problem

View my Photos
here4now
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-12          61694

My new 2210 with a 54” MMM deck will not go into the deck lock setting.

The dealer attempted to adjust it and gave me the line that it was fine to leave it on the 5” cutting height position for a lock position.

Today I got to looking at the manual and the deck linkage on the tractor. I found the lift arm was bent near the 3 point hitch end. The locking nut was missing on that end too. This had to be done at the dealership. I tried to follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the deck lock but I couldn’t get it. And why should I have to anyway?

If anyone has had a problem with their deck lock and had it fixed correctly at their dealer, will you please email the dealership name and phone number? My plan is to have my dealer replace the bent linkage and when he attempts to give me another line about why he can’t adjust the deck correctly I’ll have him call a dealer who knows what they are doing.

In any event I don’t plan to let this pass. I’ll contact the JD home office if I have too.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
2210jd

2003-08-14          61820

I do not have a problem with the locking feature of the deck, but my dealership did go through 2 of the lift arm connecting rods before getting it right. First they had it adjusted incorrectly and then they had the wrong arm on. Both situations resulted in bent arms as you experienced. The 3rd time, however, they got it right. I'd share their name and number with you, but based on my scenario I don't think you'd want it. ....

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-15          61906

I'm not sure what you meant by the "lift arm", but one thing I noticed is the rear clevis on the link that runs forward from the 3 point cross bar is offset about 3/8" so it appears to be bent when you first look at it. Even though the body of the clevis is on a bit of an angle, there is a 90 degree relationship between the front thread and the rear pin.

View my Photos
here4now

2003-08-15          61910

So we are all on the same page.

The lift arm has two clevises on each end and two locking nuts which lock the clevises into position once they are set properly. The arm itself (without the clevises) is approximately 27” long. It is located behind the rear left tire and it is easy to see with the wheel on. The purpose of the arm is to provide a mechanical action to raise and lower the deck using the left side three point hitch arm.

It is a very common problem with these tractor/mower combinations, according to a JD mechanic from another dealership, for them not to be able to move into the “lock” position using the deck height selector. He personally has tried on a dozen of them and bent the lift arm on a few. The owner of the dealership and his sons were not convinced it couldn’t be adjusted so they tried to adjust one themselves. They completely destroyed two lift arms in their attempts! He claims on later models, JD will eliminate the lock position from the decal on the deck height selector. Setting the deck to the 5-5.5” position is the same thing as “lock” according to him.

Now I am not trying to be argumentative but the lift arm has no offset. It is a straight hexagonal rod that has each end threaded for the clevises and lock nut. If your lift arm appears not to be straight, it is bent! Some are like this and still work. At this very moment mine is bent so badly a child could see it but it works fine!

My rod was bent when the dealer attempted to adjust it to go into the “lock” position. When the mechanic bent the rod he could not get the locking nut for the clevis back on. He straightened the rod by hand, adjusted as best he could and sent it back to me without informing me as to what he had done. He has already admitted to doing this. The dealer has apologized and ordered a new rod.

When I noticed the bent rod, I tried to adjust it too and bent the rod worse than the mechanic did. That is why I say they can be bent badly and still work! I had to look at my rod more than a few times at first to see it was bent. The twisted threads and the anti-seize smeared on them were the give away. I suggest you closely look at you rod. As I am saying it should be perfectly straight and if it isn’t, it is bent.

If your mower will go into the “lock” position, I am not too sure I would worry about it. On one hand you don’t gain anything from being able to go into the “lock” position and the bent lift arm may fail one day. On the other hand everything “works” as advertised on your tractor.

I will be satisfied with a new, straight lift arm and use the 5-5.5” position as the “lock” position. I have known the other dealership JD mechanic for 30 years and trust his judgment. I would have bought my 2210 from them but they couldn’t come close to the price I paid.

Finally, the three point hitch adjustment is important. The arms should be level and the sway linkages should be drawn up tightly and slightly to the left. This allows the mower lift engagement link to fully contact the left three point hitch arm.

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-15          61915

Question: To date, I've not used the lock position on mine, so I'm not sure if it will engage or not. But, my understanding was that this position will lock the deck in the "up" position, so you can use the 3ph with other equipment, without the mower deck going up and down also? In your case, in the 5-5.5 position, does the deck still move up and down? ....

View my Photos
here4now

2003-08-15          61920

The deck moves very little when in the 5-5.5" position with the lift arm adjusted correctly.

Maybe a .5" but most likely less. I have never measured it but have watched it many times.

I have used a rear blade with the mower set this way and had no trouble.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login