Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-23          60000

Well I git a nail in my R-4s today so i used aplug. SO far so good. :(

What tire pressure are you guys running in your R-4s with the FEL being used quite a bit. I don't want to be so low that a full bucket really bulges em' but they seem rock hard from the dealer. Espaecally the rear that thing never budges, might as well be solid :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-29          60410

I have basically the same question. I was using the FEL on my JD2210 this weekend, and noticed that even with half a bucket of sugar-clay (fine dust), the front tires were really bulging-out, and looked like they were going flat. So, I check the operators manual which has the front turfs inflated to 22psi (which is the same as the max pressure on the sidewall). But then the operators manual for the 210 FEL says to add an extra 4psi in the fronts, which puts them over the tire manufacturers max pressure, which I did. This seemed to help a little. Would I dare go any higher? Or, do I just need more weight on the back to counter balance the load on the front? ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Stan in Calif
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-29          60420

I'm running 45lbs front and 15lbs rear. The tires are 6 ply. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-30          60444

My new tractor came with R-4's. Not my choice.... it was what we could find.

Man, those things are rock hard and have a terrible ride. So I checked the pressure and the rears were at 30 lbs. Way to much for a 4115.

So I tried letting some air out until there was a sidewall bulge. Never got there. The tires are so stiff they have the same profile with no air in them. In fact I got one too low and the bead came off the rim.

Even at that it still would not go flat. And of course, there was no way I was going to get that bead re-seated with my 2 gallon air compressor.

End of story: those R-4's are in the shed and the new rear tire is a mud and snow radial, with some left-over 24/8.50-12 turfs from the old tractor on the front.

I'm hoping it will ride better. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-30          60449

Mark,

Hope you can get some Pix up of your new Ride soon.

I assume you have just one tractor now? If you still have the three a Picture of the Three would be awesome, so we could get a look at the different ones you have tried, small to large.

Hopefully that is not the case and you were able to trade the other two in.

Dennis
Tractorpoint ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-30          60458

I still have the BX22, but it has to go pretty quick. I traded the 4100 for the 4115. I'll try to post some pics today. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-07-30          60459

Mark,
With the "Turfs" on the front, what pressure are you at? And, do they bulge much with a load in the bucket?

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-30          60461

I run my 790 as , 15 lbs in the rear 25 lbs in the front. when I picked it up from the dealer they were 30 rear and 35 front , decreasing pressure did help the ride some but it still rides like a tractor. go figure! LOL ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-30          60462

No, there is no appreciable bulge. I use a heavy duty Firestone turf tire, not one of those riding mower products. I think I carry 25 lbs in them, which is the max listed on the sidewall. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-30          60463

Magee, I initially had the fronts on the 2210 at 30#. I have backed it doen to 28 #. I have not had any problems from this. The fronts on the 2210 are pretty darn small. Do you have turfs or the combo ag type tires they offer. Currently there are only two tires for the front of the 2210 as they came out with a new tire size for this model. Thanx to some good advice from Mark H I went with the turfs and I am VERY glad I did. Especially in light of the fact that both of the tires offered are only 4 ply. I run 20# in the rear. I trust you have been dinding lots of good use for that FEL ! I find I run out of traction from a lack of weight way before any tire could make much difference, or at least that is my flawed thought process. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-07-30          60466

All (4) tires are the factory turfs. I kind of wanted the Ag tires, but my better-half thought they would tear-up the lawn too much. Right now I have 26psi in the fronts and 22psi in the rears. Seems to ride okay. Normally I have the 48” box blade on, for counter balance. But the other day I took it off to run the MMM. This is when I first noticed the fronts looking kind of flat.

Got to love the FEL, not sure why I didn’t buy it with the tractor at first. Now I wouldn’t be without one.

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-30          60469

Correction: My Firestone Turf & Field tires (front) are rated for 35 PSI. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-07-30          60473

Are the "BX"s tires the same as the "2210"s? Brand, Size? ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-30          60488

The rears are the same and at first glance appear to be interchangeable. The BX runs a 8 inch rim on the front and the 2210 runs a ten inch rim. Both front tires are, however, 18 inches tall x 8.5 inches wide. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-30          60491

The front tires on the 2210 are 18x10x8.5 . I have been told that their are no other tires currently interchangeable on the front of this model. With all the units they are selling I hope this will change soon. Are the fronts on the Bx 4ply as well mark ? I have seen the other tires that JD offers other than the turfs. They are a little odd. I am very glad I went with the turfs especially after doing a few landscapeing jobs. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-31          60529

Four Ply? I doubt it. The max inflation pressure is listed at 22 pounds. I am thinking this may be the main reason Kubota "turned down" the pressure on the loader. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-31          60534

Mark, I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the tires on the Bx are less than 4 ply ? If so I would have changed them to. It really doesn't seem like any tractor would come with tires less than 4 ply as they are already a little lame. Both the turf and odd ball kinda half and half ag tires JD is offereing on the 2210 are 4 ply. I can't imagine that the sidewalls on the fronts would be noticebly stronger with the pseudo R-4'/1's if they are both only 4 ply. I have checked and double checked with different dealers and the tire folks and they assure me that is correct, of course its hard to compare what is in print to the real world and I do not own the others. I have seen them and they look no stronger to me. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-31          60539

Geez. I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet and I am still in my flipflops..... now I have weed seeds between my toes.

Doc, the heavy duty turfs described above are on the Deere 4115 and came off the 4100.

I have both types of stock Kubota tires for the BX. Both the bar-turfs and the turfs say 4 ply rating or 4 PR.

That tells me that it is a two ply body with a four ply rating.

In fact, when I had a(nother) flat last week the tire guy said he couldn't buff up and patch the inside of the tire because the rubber was too thin. I had to buy a tube. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-31          60542

BTW, I'll bet you a buck the 2210 tires say 4 ply RATING on the sidewall. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-31          60562

Don't take everything so SERIOUS! I have fun just figuring this kind of stuff out. I wander around in my slippers and coffee all the time. If I am not careful one of these days I'll get myself bitten by something.

I paddled out to the garage one morning at 05:30 to read the back of a bottle of motor oil so I could say something intelligent to Peters.

Anyway, I think the quality of tires on the BX and the 2210 are the same, except that maybe Deere went with a 10 inch rim to get a little more load rating and better FEL performance. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-31          60564

My apolagies. I rather thought you were metaphorically speaking about the sand between your toes and I thought I had inadvertantly said something offensive. The coffee offer still stands, I'll buy, theese days its my favorite drink and one of my few remaining vices. ....

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-01          60604

A day late &a$< with this I guess.

I stick with the pressure/load charts for my turf tires. I don't think there's anything wrong with bulging sidewalls under heavy loads with turfs. Besides, if I run high pressures I think it makes it hard to disengage 4wd, which might mean that the front axle lead ratio is affected. However, bulging sidewalls do go along with flat bottoms. A flat bottom increases traction and load on front drives and is not always desirable.

However, I recall that Mark did quite a service awhile back by actually measuring tire circumferences under different loads and there wasn't much difference. I can't recall if Mark's tests included different pressures or not but the conclusions cause me to wonder if my hard 4wd disengage problems are anything but my imagination.

790 tire pressure flat

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60610

I really dont notice any difference whether the fronts are at 26 or 30. I now keep them about 28. I have never noticed any bulgeing except when they are low on air or if I really overload the FEL. For example with a bucket full of 23a road material or pea gravel. But when that happens I'm far more concerned with the rear end than the the front end ! I keep finding unwanted debris in my field. Apparantly way back when it was the stageing area for loggers. I keep finding old whiskey botlles and traps with my tires. I sure hope that someone does come out with a better front tire like marks Firestones. The sidewall strength is not as important to me as punture resistance but I expect a better tire with more plys would serve both purposes, although with a stiffer ride. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login