JD 790: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD 790: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-18-2003, 22:26 Post: 59785
jklmnugent

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 JD 790

Just took delivery of my 50th birthday present to myself- a JD 790 with 419 loader and L4 mower. Purchased rear hydraulics as well thinking of use with a box scraper.

Mowed about an two acres yesterday of undulating field and had to constantly adjust mower height. As this is my first tractor, actually first time aboard a tractor I was a bit apprehensive about "mower sounds" as small rocks were picked up-hope I haven't ruined my new mower. Felt a bit guilty.

Any words of advice regarding getting started with field work would be appreciated. All I have is a new John Deere hat, a manual and a few acres faced with complete ignorance.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

09-15-2003, 14:13 Post: 63955
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JD 790

Wow! Don't remember seeing this one. Anyhow, sorry it got by without a reply. First off belated welcome to the board. Secondly, congratulations on a fine new tractor. Nice choice! Wink yeah right I would imagine that by now you have close to 50 hours on this machine if not more. If you have not already done the 50 service; get your filters, oil, spare belts, etc. so you will have them on hand when the time comes. Doing the service is not hard at all and allows you to get a first hand look at any potential maintenance issues (hopefully none) and save a few bucks at the same time. The 50 hour service is the most important service and should be done on time with no short cuts. If you don't already have one; now is a great time to get a torque wrench so you can check/verify torques on wheels and other specified critical areas shown in the owner's manual. You may also want to buy some diesel fuel conditioner (although not required, is a good maintenance practice). Other things you may want to think about are front and rear facing work lights. I recently installed them on mine and it was a great improvement. On your mower, it is a good idea to grease the spindles each or at least every other use. I give mine a few pumps of grease each use. Although not a problem on all compacts John Deeres; it is a good idea to check the battery compartment after each use to ensure no battery acid has bubbled out of the battery and been drawn into the radiator. Mine does this so I keep a close eye on it. Aside from that, wear the John Deere hat with pride and enjoy!

09-20-2003, 07:39 Post: 64412
Jim Nugent
2003-09-20 00:00:00
 JD 790

Thanks for the reply Chief. Five hours only to date on tractor as a "recreational user" decribes me best. Have considered fuel additives due to length of time fuel stands in tank. Will fill tank for first time before next use and will include an additive I think. Will watch the battery situation and keep up with routine maintanence items.

JN

09-20-2003, 08:17 Post: 64423
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 JD 790

I don't know if you're in a cold area so maybe cold weather stuff is irrelevant. Buy here's some anyway. Use additive that contains anti-gel--especially since you use little fuel and may have summer blend fuel in the middle of winter. For infrequent use, keeping the battery up with a 1A trickle charger and keeping the fuel tank topped up to reduce condensation helps. Anything that goes in to a diesel should be diesel rated including coolant. Starter fluid shouldn't be needed and shouldn't be used.

For cold starts, diesels aren't cranked like gas engines. If it doesn't fire right up it's not going to and more pre-heat is needed. Cranking them just puts fuel into the oil. It helps to crack the throttle about half for starts in cold weather. There's a bunch more stuff that might be helpful. Block heaters are useful.

09-20-2003, 09:15 Post: 64431
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JD 790

Ether is a mortal sin. Do not use it period. On old and worn engines, sometimes there is little choice. If you must, try WD-40 with the air cleaner element out first. Tom is right, you should never have to use it on your 790. The intake heater grid should do the trick in really cold starts.

09-25-2003, 20:20 Post: 64870
JAZAK5

JD 790

NO ETHER !!!!!!!! I'VE USED MY INTAKE HEATER AT -30 WITH NO BLOCK OR WATER HEATER. GOOD FUEL IS A MUST!!!!

09-26-2003, 07:40 Post: 64887
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 JD 790

It's curious that some old farm tractors had factory systems for putting ether into the engine and now you don't use it under any circumstances. These diesels have come a long way.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 59785 Filter by Poster:
Chief 2 | JAZAK5 1 | Jim Nugent 1 | jklmnugent 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob