Go Bottom Go Bottom

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
JD_TCH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-11          59366

I have a JD855 Compact that has occasional problems lowering the 3 point hitch. No adjustment of flow control under the seat helps. No amount of weight on hitch helps. Then it heals itself.
Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-12          59383

I'd check the poppet valve adjustment. There aren't too many reasons why a position control 3ph won't lower if the flow control valve and the poppet valve are open. ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
dougVA

2003-07-14          59481

Check the hydraulic fluid level. I had the same problem with my JD955 this past winter; my hyd. oil was very low & filling it solved the problem.

The intermittent nature of your problem may be caused by having just enough fluid in the hyd. system to work each component individually (steering, loader, 3 pt), but not enough in certain combinations.

Doug ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-15          59522

I understand the problem is the 3ph sometimes won't lower. I think low oil would create a problem with lifting rather than lowering but I might learn something here. It is true that if the oil level is barely adequate the taking of more oil by extending the cylinders may stop the hydraulics from working, which is a good tip. My forklift cylinder takes a bunch of oil and if my tractor had a smaller reservoir I might conceivably have to overfill the reservoir when the cylinder was retracted to keep enough oil in it when the cylinder is extended. Normally the oil level is checked when all cylinders are retracted. ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-15          59550

Some hydraulic valves are of a type known as 'pilot operated' valves.

These valves lock one side of a circuit until fluid pressure is applied to release the locked circuit. This is a common type of valve to use on a circuit which for instance holds something up because the lock holds the fluid much better, meaning the load stays put longer.

However, the description of this problem doesn't fit to a shortage of oi, it sounds more like a valve malfunctioning, either the control valve or the restrictor valve. My money is on some debris in the restrictor valve (the one the controls or stops 3pth descent) intermitantly affecting flow through it.

Best of luck. ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-16          59582

Yes, good chance of debris. My inclination before taking the flow control valve apart would be to check the linkage first to see that the poppet valve is depressed when the hitch is lowered. Of course, that's pretty easy to do on my Ford. I'd probably also verify that the link arms etc. aren't binding.

I think these pilot operated valves are sometimes called lockouts. They tend to be ball valves that sit in machined sockets, Leakage through them is much less than through other type valves. As is probably fairly well known, a 3ph does have a check valve but a faulty check valve wouldn't prevent the 3ph from lowering. It sits in the inlet passage to the lift cylinder and its purpose is to keep a hitch from crashing in even of a pump or line failure. ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
dundarrach

2003-08-08          61208

While the oil level is very important, the speed control valve under the seat may be the issue, BUT I have had the same troubles which was the rocker arm conrol valve hanging up. $1100- $1300 will cure it. Sorry. ....

855 3 pt doesn t drop

View my Photos
usafretired

2003-10-22          66857

Make sure the seat belt buckle is not interfering with the lever. Don't ask me how I know. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login