Go Bottom Go Bottom

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murraym
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-20          58049

3pt hitch went from slow operating to no lift within a day. Changed filter and made sure oil is full still no lift. Any ideas ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-20          58053

Is that on the 655 you have in your information? Where is PEI?

Is there a suction screen in addition to the filter? ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-20          58054

Check that the 3pth control/lock did not get turned to the lock position, it is usually a large knob facing the steering column under the seat, behind your lower leg if you are sitting on the machine.

If that's not it check for hydraulic pressure generally, a spring in the pressure relief valve which determines at what pressure the system opens may have failed, or at least backed off from vibration because it was too loose.

Mark, Prince Edward Island (PEI) is a small island province off the east coast of Canada, sort of like our version of Rhode Island.

Best of luck. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-20          58055

He must have been a popular guy, they sure named a lot of stuff after him. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Murf

2003-06-20          58058

Mark, HRH Prince Edward was an immensely popular character in the British Dominion during the mid 1800's. He was the 'playboy' younger brother of HRH Princess Albert, of the "Prince Albert in a can' fame, the husband of Queen Victoria, the longest serving and arguably most loved monarch in recent history.

And yes, there's LOTS of stuff named after him, over 100 places, rivers, lakes, mountians, and landmarks gerally in Canada alone...

Best of luck. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-20          58064

Not to mention all of the high end products that still benefit from his crest like Harris tweed and Holland and Holland. I remember a few years back when lots from the estate of the Duke and Dutchess of Windsor went up for sale. I think the matched pair I drooled over were custom made Purdeys with the royal crest. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murraym

2003-06-21          58077

Yes it is a 655 the black knob did not make a difference . How do I measure pressure?Is that a separate pump for the 3pt hitch above the PTO?or is it the only pump?Thanks Murray ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-06-21          58080

You may have a clogged rockshaft filter. This is separate from the suction screen, suction side filter, and trans filter. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-22          58118

It'd be handy if the tractor has a loader. If the loader works normally then the pump isn't the problem.

It'd help narrow down the problem a bit it you noticed if the TX oil was overly hot or frothy when the 3ph quit. If you recognize the sound of a relief valve (sort of a squeal) and one is opening it'd be good to know that too.

Stan may know if a 655 has a rockshaft filter. Some models of JD do and that would be a good bet if it has one. I think they are small screens installed in a fitting in the lines between a loader outlet and the 3ph inlet hoses.

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murraym

2003-06-24          58222

There is a loader and it works fine ,where do I find a rock shaft filter?no squell that I can hear Thanks Murray ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murraym

2003-06-24          58223

There is a loader and it works fine ,where do I find a rock shaft filter?no squell that I can hear Thanks Murray ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-06-24          58236

Murray, I don't know for sure that a 655 has one- as Tom says not all tractors do, or where it is, but on the 4000 series, it is mounted inline on a tube that runs horizontally between the rear pto and the attachment point for the top link. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-25          58250

Can't help if 655's have such a filter but slow deterioration of performance over a day sure sounds like a filter. If the loader works normally and a relief valve isn't opening a 3ph filter would be a good bet. Inexpensive pressure gauges and fittings can be purchased but if the loader works, the pump is developing pressure. If the 3ph doesn't lift then there's likely no pressure to check. Whether the 3ph is getting flow is another question and pressure/flow meters are available.

There are other reasons for 3ph failure but I think most of them usually happen pretty abruptly. If the tractor has a manifold block and a diverter valve, the valve could be placed in the 'remote' position and the 3ph tried. On most tractors, 'Remote' takes the entire loader system out of the system and powers only the 3ph. On some position control valves, the spool ends of the lift valve spool and poppet valve can be seen with minor disassembly. There are adjustment procedure for the gaps between the spool ends and a lever for many 3ph's. The important ones here are that there should be a gap for the poppet valve when the 3ph is in lift mode and the lift spool should be depressed. I suppose that a drifting adjustment could produce slow deterioration over a day but that's a stretch.

Checking most anything else on a 3ph takes tear down and testing. Hope there's a filter and that's the problem.

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murraym

2003-07-03          58776

Have now pulled rockshaft filter,changed oil, changed hyd filterand turned black knob still no lift any other ideas. ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-03          58782

The valve that controls the rock shaft lift may be stuck, clogged, or "Kapput". Have you checked with you local JD dealer and asked them for an opinion? ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
murray

2003-07-03          58785

I have contacted dealer and ordered service manual ....

3pt hitch will not lift

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-04          58824

Sounds like you've done about all that's possible without a manual. I guess the loader valve can't be taken out of the system with a diverter valve; that a relief open relief valve can't be heard; that the 3ph control valve arm does move when the quadrant lever is operated; and that the oil doesn't get hot or frothy.

That main candidates for a position control hitch that doesn't lift at all are the unloading valve; the poppet valve and the 3ph pressure relief valve. In practice it's common to just rebuild an entire control valve assembly rather than try to trouble-shoot it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login