Go Bottom Go Bottom

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DICK-W
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-08          57110

I just purchased new 15 X 19.5 R4 tires for my 4300 and would like to know if any one can tell me how many gallons of ballast goes into these (for a 75% fill)or where I can find out this info.I plan on using windshield washer fluid for ballast cause I've heard its the hot ticket.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

liquid ballast

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-08          57116

I have the R-4 tires on my 4410. When I had the loader installed and tires filled. The mechanic told me he put 55 gallons in each tire. Seems like alot for a tire that size but I was not there to see them measure out the fluid. I can tell you that it made a HUGE difference in weight (as I found out when I drove it up on my trailer. ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-08          57119

If the idea is knowing how much to buy, the volume could be approximated by figuring the volume of a cylinder equal to the outside tire diameter x the tire width minus the volume of a cylinder equal to the diameter of the wheel x tire width and the sum times 75%.

For doing it yourself, I think that inexpensive valve stem adapters are sold that fill and allow air to escape. I've heard of people doing it themselves with this gadget plus a drill motor pump.

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-08          57126

How much are you paying per gallon for w/w fluid? It has gotta be $1.50 a gallon? ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-08          57131

Make sure you get the winter version of winshield washer fluid. Much of what is sold does not guard against freezing.

The calcim chloride soloutions are not cheap at about 5 lbs per gallon of water ( for -20f antifreeze) that gets expensive fast. I think I could buy and use cheap antifreeze for about the same money with no rust problems. I know it will not weigh as much as the calcium solution would but oh well...

How much do you guys pay for calcium chloride ? Here it is about $1.00/pound. at 150 lbs or so for a 14.9X26 tire that is not cheap.

liquid ballast

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-09          57180

There is more to this than just anti-freeze capability. Calcium chloride solution weighs more per gallon than winshield washer fluid which often has alcohol and other solvents.

Depending on the concentration CaCl and water can probably hit over 10 pounds per gallon. W/W fluid is going to be less than 7 pounds per gallon. This may not sound like a lot, but for 50 gallons fill it amounts to a difference of 150 pounds. ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-09          57191

I agree with AC5 and will add this: I think by the time you tote it all up, it costs roughly the same to add weight to the wheels of your tractor no matter which method you choose.

If you choose some type of fluid you have to buy the fluid or the additive and them pay to have it pumped in or buy the equipment to do it yourself. Then God forbid you should have to take that wheel off of the tractor for some reason.

What do you do with a wheel that weighs 500+ pounds? You call someone with a big truck at $60 an hour to service it.

What if it springs a leak? That is a new tube (they cannot be patched) plus the labor plus the downtime plus you will have to buy some new fluid the replace the toxic stuff you just sterilized the wife's petunia bed with.

A well engineered wheel weight mounting kit is available for about $50 and a careful shopper can find weight lifting plates for $35 per 100 pounds, and even less at garage sales.

If you get a flat you can have the weights off in 5 minutes and take the tire in to get it fixed yourself. You can also pull them off to work on a wet lawn or to trailer the tractor for service.

Unlike that fluid squirting all over her prized flower patch, the weights are non-toxic and 100 percent reusable. And if the day comes when you no longer need them, you can sell them to somebody else. Try that with a barrel of used windshield washer fluid! ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-09          57196

The problem with rear mounted weights is this. If I am brush hogging or doing draft work I loose most of the weight/traction advantage. Rear mounted weights are fine for loader work. I have about 1,200 lbs of rear mounted steel plates on a 3 point bracket which I can easiallly drop off or pick up. When I do this I still have about 1,000 lbs of loaded tire weight for traction/ballast. If I am using a back blade (lighter than 1,200 lb)with my loader I still have enough ballast for heavy loader work too.

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-09          57200

Slowrev... Just to be clear... I was referring to wheel weights, not rear mounted weights though I do use both in exactly the same manner as you and for the same reasons. ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-09          57213

Mark,
Sorry I guess I did not read you post properly. Gettin old I guess :)

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DICK-W

2003-06-09          57239

Mark, interesting thoughts but, a little farther out than I was thinking.as far as patchng tubes, yes you can, I have done it. My friend used my tractor and drove over a 1" pipe and put it though tire and tube. It was challenging repair but I did repair both and contiue to use them. I'm ok on the flowers, wife dont have any.Wheel weights is a good thought but I would have to have how much (few hundred pounds),it would be a difficult thing to get off or probably would have to leave them on during a repair and still have to deal with the weight.WW fluid is about 80 cents a gallon, not to big of an investment, maybe, I dont know, thats why I'm asking for advice. The owner before me had them 100% filled with water, not good for my Wisconsin winters.

liquid ballast

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-10          57252

Calcium tubes can be repaired you just have to rince them off well. Weighted tires with liquid is not the best way to go but is the cheapest alternative. I figure never been any tests done to accuratly calibrate it, but this is my observations. Weighted tires loose 20% of the efficiency of the weight being added. Another words 1000lbs of calcium or windshield fluid is equal to 800 lbs of cast on the wheel. I might be off a few percent and it would not be favorable to liquid. The liquid hinders the flex of the tire so it can't flex to the ground a quickly. ....

liquid ballast

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-10          57270

Art, I have thought that the wheel weights were pound for pound more efficient too.

I will add this: they really shine with radial tires. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login