Go Bottom Go Bottom

How do you engage the PTO on your 4000 Ten Series Tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56910

The manual on my 4410 says to be sure to be below 1500 rpm, but even that seems a bit high and a shock to the power train and pto clutches. I make sure no load or resistance is on the impliment and reduce rpm to around 1,000 rpm and engage the pto switch. Sure would like it if it could engage a bit easier or gradually. Would seem like it would be alot easier on the pto clutches that way. Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on this. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56912

I engage mine at lowest idle and just easy out on the clutch thats probley slipping the clutch abit but it does not seem so brutal when starting up. mines not a 4000 series but it's a 790 with a two stage clutch. i've found no other way to do it lightly. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56914

Mine has a pull knob to engage the pto clutch and it slams it to you all at once. It is not so bad at 1,000 rpm but I prefer to be gentle and slow with the equipment. ....

View my Photos
E9-livin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-06          56974

I would have to belive that you need to engage the PTO at the lowest engine RPM allowed. I think that the clutch grabing hard is to prevent premature wear on the clutch plates. If the clutch were to slowly engage I think you would be putting clutch packs in a lot more often than you wanted to. My 4310 eHydro does not slam per-say but you do know it is engaged, I do throttle down to idle. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56975

Reason I brought the subject up is that it is hard on an engine to lug it badly at low rpm but on the other hand snatching the pto train into use is not good either. Just wanted to get some concensus on a happy medium. ....

View my Photos
Long610

2003-06-07          57070

The manual says to adjust the engine speed to 1500rpm and engage the PTO. Then adjust to desired speed with throttle. I will see how it works tomorrow. I dont think it will matter on something like a chipper or a pump, but on a 6ft field mower it will strain the clutches. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-06-08          57092

My biggest problem with the PTO lever was getting it to come off the brake without really jamming the clutches. I can do it very smoothly now by bumping the lever off the brake and easing it into full pto lock.

I always ease it into pto speed. I do not shock load the drivelines and belts by jamming the lever in.

I also do not pull the lever from pto speed into the brake position until the implement speed has came done to a slow speed. Again this is a strain on the implement drive line and the tractor system to suddenly try to stop it. I'm not sure if the clutches and brake inside the tractor would handle my brush hog jamming it in or out.

Clutches are to protect the drive lines by giving a smooth transfer of power either on or off.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
jdcman

2003-06-08          57097

I have a 4400 that I use to pull around a 513 rotary cutter, (among other things). I originally bought the cutter with a shear pin drive but eventually installed a clutch drive because I got so feed up with breaking the shear pin even when I would engage at idle.

There's a hell of a lot of torque generated and any slop in the shear pin hole will cause the pin to snap. I even tried a class higher in the shear bolt to no avail, (didn't want to risk breaking something by going higher). (BTW, my dealer eventually did say that he sees a lot this, and sell a lot of shear pins as well!)

The clutch system has been working fine. It's designed and built to take the stress. I figure at worse in a few years I'll need to replace the plates.

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-06-09          57144

I have the 4610 with a MX6 cutter. I agree with your concerns, but mine stalls out if I try to engage much below 1,500rpm's. I'm still trying to find the lowest rpm's that will engage the pto but now stall the tractor - somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500. It is a bit of a jolt. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login