Anyone used the JD 670 & 680 tiller?: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Anyone used the JD 670 & 680 tiller?: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-22-2003, 16:42 Post: 53590
abbeyroad154

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Anyone used the JD 670 & 680 tiller?

I'm debating whether to buy the 670 or 680 tillers vs. buying plow, disc, & harrows. I have 15 acres, relatively flat, and I plan to plant orchard grass, sunflower, sorghum, clover, buckwheat, etc. At times, I will turn everything over and plant something different. What tines should I use, the L-shaped or the C-shaped? Not that I'm in a hurry, but do you know if using the tiller is incredibly time consuming as compared to plowing, discing, and harrowing? Thanks, Wayne

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-23-2003, 07:12 Post: 53619
Bernie Galgoci

Anyone used the JD 670

Wayne - Even on a rotation where you were doing only five of the fifteen acres every year, it sounds like alot of rototilling to me. With the implements matched to a given tractor size, I'd bet that plowing followed by disking/harrowing would beat (field-speed-wise) a single pass of rototilling any day. And if you were rotating any acres out of perennial grasses, it would take more than one pass with the rototiller to "turn things under." Rototillers also make (or at least when I use a rototiller I tend to make) a very fine, fluffy seedbed - I would think almost too fine and fluffy for your purposes. Because of this, large rototillers (eight to ten feet wide) which occasionally show up at machinery auctions around here often have compaction rollers attatched to them just to firm up the soil after tilling. I think that by varying tine speed, ground speed, and how open the rear door on the tiller is, you can probably come up with a very good, firm seedbed for your needs. I just don't think it will ever be as quick and easy as plowing/disking. I have a 60 inch rototiller which I use to make planting beds for our nursery business. One spring, instead of the usual chisel plowing and disking, I decided to use the tiller to work up our half acre wildlife food plot. Never again. Definitely slower, and since the field is rocky the tiller, tractor and nerves of the driver took an unnecessary beating. If you do decide to try the rototiller, the L-shaped tines are almost always the way to go. The C-shaped tines are only recommended for tilling in wet (peat/muck) soils. Good luck with whatever you decide.

04-24-2003, 19:15 Post: 53716
harring02

Anyone used the JD 670

I used a 52" tiller on a nice flat field 65ydsx110yds with almost no rocks (only broke one shear bolt). The ground was unbroken and very dry I had to make three passes to get the turf broken up enough to even think about replanting,this took about 15 to 20 hrs. After looking at the field I didn't like how much turf there was so took a disc harrow to the field. I wouldn't recommend using a tiller on large unbroken tracts of land.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 53590 Filter by Poster:
abbeyroad154 1 | Bernie Galgoci 1 | harring02 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob