Go Bottom Go Bottom

wood chipper

View my Photos
harring02
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-19          53421

I have a 650 John Deere and I want to buy a wood chipper for it anyone have any experence or suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

wood chipper

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-20          53425

I looked at several used ones. They had 3" throats and would run OK from my 24 pto hp tractor. You probably want the largest chipper recommended for the tractor's hp. Having a chipper and then not quite being able to get material into it would be aggravating.

The used ones I looked at had shredder sections that will accept brush and light limbs without removing small side branches. Shredders are pretty standard features and I don't think I'd want a unit without one. Hydraulic feed also would be desirable but units with hydraulics are pricey. I could get by without an automatic feed but I'd have to count on spending time feeding the chipper. A 3" chipper doesn't chip 3" hardwood all that fast.

A decent chipper is fairly expensive and for myself, I realized that I'd only use it a couple of times a year, and I could make many years of trips to the landfill for the price of a chipper. The landfills here are within a few miles free and accept brush. So, the dump is what I do although adding chips to the compost pit would be worthwhile. Maybe I'll change my mind.

wood chipper

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-04-20          53448

I have a Wood's 5000 Chipper/Shredder, it can handle logs up to 5 1/4 round. The horse power required is 15 to 30 hp...

My JD 790 has 30 hp engine, 25 hp PTO, will handle most logs with no problem but large (5 in.) dry Oak logs can stall the engine if not held back. For that reason I recommend a manual feed... ....

wood chipper

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-21          53480

Five inch oak logs? You would not beleive what folks out west pay for firewood like that. ....

wood chipper

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-21          53482

Yeah Mark, but the shipping is high :)

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login