Go Bottom Go Bottom

Considering the 790

View my Photos
DLHnMaine
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-16          53212

Hello. I am shopping for a tractor and considering the 790. I know it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the 4200/4210, but has anyone bought the 790 been truely unhappy with it? I plan on doing basic land maintenance on our "Farm" and also using it part time commercially with rototilling, bush hogging, post hole and probably backhoe someday... My thought is that since I am going to use it to make some extra money, the money I would save Vs buying the 4200/4210 could buy an implement or two.. I understand the argument that bigger is usually better, I also think that better is the enemy of good enough! If I get too much tractor, some people may not want it in thier lawns for fear of digging it up.. And I would be bound to a bigger payment to boot.. Any one have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance..
Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Considering the 790

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-16          53216

Reasonable logic, except that you need to consider the time savings using one tractor vs another. For similar money you can get a NH-TC30 or Kubota or Malhindra or Kioti. Some of these have suttle shift for the same money and other items that make operation easier. Malhindra and Kioti for example have down pressure on the 3pt hitch, which is very useful for the PH digger.
I found the 790 very tight entering and exiting, also the brakes are not wet. As a tractor works in a wet or muddy environment the brakes disappear quickly if not in hydraulic fluid. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-16          53230

Peters,
The brakes on the 790 get wet easialiy ?!! Not good, your brakes should not get wet unless you are in it deep. Poor design if they do. Of course the oil bath type of brakes are much better, no question about that.

Considering the 790

View my Photos
DLHnMaine

2003-04-16          53233

While I admit that there will always be a better teactor taht I could buy, I am more curious to know if any 790 owners have been unhappy with thier purchase. The Malhindra or Kioti have no representation in Maine to speak of and the NH-TC and Kubota are about 2500 - 3000 more. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-04-16          53234

Have a J.D. 790 since fall of 2001, no major complaints. As for the brakes, with just under a 100 hours, I have not experienced any problems. I would keep on eye on the battery as the original did leak...

In my opinion the J.D. 790 gives you the most bang for the buck in that size/hp class. If you prefer a HST transmission, check out the New Holland TC 30. Another no frills tractors an a good
buy.. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
DLHnMaine

2003-04-16          53235

Thanks Gun ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
pawhill

2003-04-16          53239

I have had my 790 since september and have really enjoyed using it. plain jane but it will do the job. all my friends want to borrow it all the time so it must be ok. so far...brush hogging, dirt removal, tree limb moving, gravel leveling, box blading, posthole digging, staking burning brush piles....etc. works great. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-16          53243

I had an older 790, a 750 and had to replace the brakes twice in 400 hrs. I used the tractor mostly with the loader.
As far as I know this and the battery ground wire mount are the only weak points on the tractor.
The TC-30 should be in the same price range as the 790, about 11K. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
mainiak1

2003-04-16          53247

I have had mine since Septemeber 0f 02 very pleased. I also live in central Maine. Your welcome to try mine out if want to try one. I can't understand all the fuss about brakes. I hardly use them,I can't imagine wearing them out.
I use mine in the field though never took it down the road in 4th gear high. I never owned another full size tractor so I guess I'll never know what I'm missing.

Mainiak1 ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
hjp

2003-04-16          53254

I have had my 790 since sept of 2002/78 hrs. It has done everything I needed to do and the some !!! I have the 7 series hoe, 6 ft box scraper, 71 inch finishing mower, 6 ft york rake and the 419 loader. I have my dealer looking out for the 59 snow blower/used. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-17          53291

I have the 790 also that just reached 30 hours, with no problems yet. seems to be a really strong machine. although the gear trans does seem to get old when doing a lot of loader work, i could see now where the hydro trans would really shine in that duty. but all in all its been a GREAT MACHINE! ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
E9-livin

2003-04-17          53296

I got my 790 in April of 1999 and put 200 plus hours on it with no maintenance problems whats so ever. To be honest I never adjusted the clutch or brakes in the 3 and half years I owned it. Most of the use was loader and mowing 6 acres.I moved up to a JD 4310 for the Hydro trans and added a mid mower to it. The reasons for this were so my wife and daughter could feel comfortable driving the tractor and loader. I am in the Military and face long deployments away from home and needed to feel comfortable that my family could still maintain the drive way in winter and lawns in the summer. The bottom line is the JD 790 is a great tractor for the dollar. I sold mine for $800.00 less than I paid for it. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
plots1

2003-04-17          53298

After rereading your first post about making money with tractor and seeing your property size. I think you would happier with a larger framed model than the 790.althgough its a great machine for smaller scale projects for personal use on smaller properties,I dont think it would be a good choice for you beings the size property you have. you'll spend a lot of time behind the wheel maintaining 100 acers. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-17          53301

There's a strong possibility that Century will have a dealer in Maine shortly. I saw one for $13,500 at a dealer with loader and R4 tires. 30HP, 12 speed shuttle, weighs #3700 and will lift #2500 (3X the 790). Also Kioti has two, a dealer in Poland and one near Kittery. Right now I would recommend the TC30 over the 790. Best deal I found on those is Scamman in Saco. The 790 has no hydraulics. If you plan to bush hog for a side business, you won't be able to use a very big one as max lift is around #800 at the links. As plots1 says the shift on the floor gets old quick. I've been through this for the past nine months and am willing to share what I have learned if you eMail me privately.
Pacesetter (Augusta) ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
DLHnMaine

2003-04-17          53303

Thanks you guys for all the input.. While I have a 100 acres 65 of it is forest. The remaining fields would be hayed, and bush hogged. I use a 20HP craftsman for mowing and it takes me about 3 hours to mow the entire lawn area. Addly enough, this is something I truely enjoy doing so a bigger tractor may take less time, but I would be putting house on it that be unneeded. As for the money making part, I have a coworker that has a 17 Kubota BX series, and he is busy all the time doing side jobs with it.. Year round! I originally started looking at the 4100 as it was roughly the same size as the BX, but for the same money I could get the 790, a big jump in HP for the same money. A bigger tractor would mean a bigger payment, and again may scare away some people thinking the cost would be too high, and not bother with me... "PETERS" resopnded that I may find a good deal in the NH TC30, and I am looking at them right now.. It looks like the price would be very close, and the options are: "Some beter, some worse". So, it might come down to Dealer Service and location.. If that is the case, then it will be Green..
THanks again.. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-18          53346

I have put 250hrs on my 790 in year and half from brushhog to snowplow and I do a lot of woodcutting/hauling (in Michigan)on hilly terrain - I love it. No problems except with the battery early on which the dealer fixed. The dealer is a big key - my third tractor and was true for each. Once you determine hp the next BIG thing for you is your work deck - access to all levers/entry/exit, etc. Rent one and try it out is best or go to the dealer and spend some time on one don't just drive it back and forth once. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
Chief

2003-04-23          53661

Dan,

I am sure I am belaboring the point but for the money spent the John Deere 790 & 990 are the best tractors on the market. Both are good solid, simple, & RELIABLE tractors. I had a Cub Cadet 154 Loboy (which is somewhat similar in features) for about 11 years and traded her in on a Kubota L245TP(2WD) with a L1200 loader and Kubota finish mower on back. It just did not do that well traction wise and had no ROPS. I soon traded it for a John Deere 4410 ehydro with a 430 loader and 72"mmm. What a huge difference! The ehydro is so much easier to drive and faster with turn arounds and in tight spaces. Could a 790 do the same job???? You bet! The biggest reason I got the 4410 was that an Army buddy of mine sells them and told about a 4410 that was repo'd.......wasn't long before it was mine. You will be VERY happy with the 790 or the 990. I would STRONGLY recommend that you get MFWD if you intend to install a FEL otherwise you will have traction problems. I think you will also find that a John Deere has much greater resale value years down the road. If you want to use a rotary cutter larger than 5 ft. maybe 6 ft., go with the JD 990. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-25          53767

I agree. There's no downside to buying a Deere from a reputable dealer. The Deere dealers around here have been in business a long time and their mechanics are not only well trained they seem happy - again a sign of a good dealer. Having had other tractors I can't emphasize enough the value in the dealer and mechanic beyond the color of the machine. You can't beat those three for importance. The cost of fixing these machines plus the down time is not worth saving a grand on an off brand machine. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-04-25          53771

Ben,
I'm not sure what you consider an off brand machine.
But I looked at NH,JD,and Kubota before my purchase. But the name brand dealers in my area asked list prices or near to it.
I went with a Kioti DK 35 and saved several thousand over a comparable featured big 3 tractor.
I have been a long time John Deere owner (I still have one ).And I have spent many hours on Kubota L-3600 and L-4200 both with reverser and syncro tranny.
I have had my DK for over a year now with 115 hours,and if the name brands are better tractors somewhere you would have to show me where it is Because I dont see it. ....

Considering the 790

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-28          53897

By off brand I mean any machine that is not a common name to most of the guys buying/looking. I think as more of the less familiar names become more common thier parts, tech support and dealer promimity will improve. As these improve we'll see more of them. In addition, competitition uaually improves everything. There's nothing wrong with saving $$ if the realiability (from the machine through the dealer) is there. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login