Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
AlbionKen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-19          49498

I need some advice. You may recall that I recently took delivery of a J.D. 4610 with a the J.D. (Frontier?) 7' rear blade. The primary purpose of the blade is dirt/gravel scraping and levelling in the summer and snow plowing in the winter. I used it last weekend to plow the 800' driveway and, to make a long story short, already bent one side of the blade about six inches out of alignment. I was moving down hill and caught one bottom corner of the blade on some frozen large gravel. It was bent before I could react. What is the best way to straighten it back out? Also, I'm surprised it bent so easily. It makes me think I should have gotten a beefier one, if available. Thoughts, please.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-19          49499

Ken, just curious, which blade did you get ? I see on the brochure they have standrd, medium and heavy duty blades. ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-19          49511

It shouldn't bend that easily, especially on tasks it is advertised that it is designed to do.

How about a warranty claim?

Tell them if it bends on snow, what is going to happen if you use it on dirt?

Did you tweak the blade? Or the mounting apparatus? ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2003-02-19          49512

Your blade should still be under the mfgr wrty. A new moldboard is the best fix.

I do wonder which model blade you have. There is a big difference.

There is a big misconception in the world on this subject. It seams people feel that moveing snow is easier than moving dirt. In theory, I guess this is correct. In reality, frozen ground will do more damage to a blade than the roughest dirt work.

Snow also has a way of hideing imovable objects such as parking bumpers and other things such as frozen stones too numourous to mention. Rear blades have no spring protection for these objects like front snowblades. However, depending on the Frontier model you have, skid shoes may be available which will keep the blade above such objects in the frozen earth.

As an enlightened salesman, I cringe when folks want tp purchase a rear blade to remove snow for all of the above reasons. I cringe because I simply can't seem to get across to them the error in their ways. Who ever sold you that blade, should have warned you of what could happen. My guess is ...... he did not. This compact market is loaded with salesman with no practical expeirience.

There is no college degree for practical expeirience, and it holds little weight in our society. Just another thing in this world I would that makes life so interesting.

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
Billy

2003-02-19          49513

The 4610 weighs in right at 3,500 lbs, tractor alone. If you apply the force plus the momentum of the 3,500 lbs to a small area (corner of the blade), I could see it happening.

If it warped the blade, it would be extremely hard to straighten (if not impossible). If it just bent the corner, you might can heat it and beat it back.

Billy ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-20          49590

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions, but I needed to get the paperwork to be sure. The blade is a Frontier 1084 "standard duty" rear blade which was delivered with the tractor. The salesman knew what I wanted to use the tractor/blade for and said "this will do it for you". I should note that the blade would not rotate when it was first delivered and I took it back for them to "loosen up". It bent about six inches from the center pivot bracket (sorry, don't know the correct term) and the end is between six and eight inches out of straight, with a bit of twist, as well. I had the blade angled to that side while plowing and had the hitch pin in. I have made no adjustments to the blade myself. I'll make a run at the dealer, but even if they agree to fix/replace I'm concerned that this model rear blade is just too flimsy for the size tractor - hard to believe since it is a "compact tractor". How can it be expected to scrape ditches, level gravel, etc. if it bends this easily? Thanks for all your comments. I'll keep you posted. By the way, still LOVE the 4610! ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
Smahler

2003-02-20          49600

I have been backblading snow for quite a while, and while it is not the sexiest way to remove snow, it has worked for years and years. My hunch is that you were moving in your higher range gear, making it very easy to apply whopping forces quickly. For this reason, I keep the speed down considerably when backblading. For one thing, the entire design of your 3ph is really intended for pulling, not pushing. Thus the blade is the same. I will be interested to see if the dealer can do anything for you. It is also important to note that the Frontier line of implements is supposed to be Deere's value line, hence lighter quality. In the future, I think you will be fine to slow down a bit to avoid other snafus. ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
harvey

2003-02-20          49613

Ken

You can pull the blade part off and take to a heavy duty garage with a BIG hyd press and get it back into reasonable shape, I would not heat it, then bolt a heavy 3" angle iron across the back of it.

I beat the living snot out of hard snow banks with my rear scraper blade. Have 15 hours of that, last couple of days, moving this storm getting set for next one neck is sore. My pin holes are worn pretty bad and I need to weld in new bushings this year. But mine is 12 years old.

I would tell the salesman that for YEARS we used them to scrape alleys in the barn. They were designed to do that! Then as barns and equipment were damaged, from catching curbs and broken concrete, we (humans) got smarter. Bolted on big cut tires. Then we got skid steers...

I have caught buried stuff going fwd also, one corner dug in ditching. The same thing is going to happen either direction. Slow is the key!

Someone else said the 4600 is a lot of tractor, (in the compact class Cat1) they are right. Check the stuff designd for cat2. Go to a couple of auctions and look at the shape some of the used equipment is in...I think you would be very suprised and think your bend is not so bad after all.

I would also tell you the rear blade is a lot cheaper than a loader arm so that is where I tend to focus the abuse. Yes I push back and stack with loader also. But almost all of the plowing is with the scraper blade angled. Also the light blade bending may have saved your castings on the tractor where the 3ph arms are attached. Either fwd or backwards those casting will break!

Yup! I did manage to bend a lift arm moving a rock that weighs more than my 4400 tractor. It took my old Farmall M Pulling and 4400 pushing to move it out of the woods to its resting spot in the front yard.

If you use your tractor things are gonna get bent or broken now and then. Just a fact of life. I do not care how careful you are sooner or later you will scratch the paint.

The other thing that crosses my mind is get a new blade for your dirt work and stick this one on in the winter and add some metal here and there to help move snow.

Bends, dings and dents suck!

Harvey ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-20          49621

Thanks for your comments. One clarification - I was in "A" range with 4WD on, but the ematch off. The grade where "the incident" occurred is about 30 degrees downhill. While bending the blade ticked me off, what really made me mad was that I had only had it for 3 weeks! Assuming the dealer says tough luck, I really like the idea of souping this one up for snow (after a rebend) and buying a high end blade for dirt/gravel. This dealer only carries Frontier attachments. I think I'll go look at Land Pride at another dealer. Thanks for comments. ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-21          49677

The comment about looking for CAT II implements for bigger compacts might be thought about. A small mid-price CAT II implement might be as heavy duty as an upper-end CAT I implement and cost less. If the compact 3ph will carry the weight, the lower link arms spread wide enough and the top link is the right length, it should work just fine. Lower link pins on many implements can be replaced with CAT I pins, and bushings are available to size CAT II top-link loops down to CAT I pins.

If there isn't much price advantage, at least the idea might offer a wider selection of used implements to owners of large compacts. There might be an issue of different lower-link arms with some implements, and the CAT II PTO shaft connections would be different than for CAT I.

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-21          49679

At least so far, this is an issue of the blade only. The CAT II option seems to make things much more complicated to my weary brain - particularly since I got the imatch quick connect to avoid adjusting hitch arms, etc. This probably gets us into a whole different discussion that should go under attachments, but any ideas on who has the best (read as heavy, sturdy, beefy, rugged!)CAT I back blades? Also, is this a question of which is better - front blade vs back blade? With the loader on the front, it might be a mute point, but I vaguely remember someone talking about a quick attach front blade (hung or bolted over the loader bucket?)that was much better for snow than a rear blade. ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-21          49682

Ken, How do you like the imatch ? I plan to order a 2210 next week with that system. I want to leave my tiller on my property which is 4.5 hours north os when I get there theres no messin around I can just get to work. I often get up in the am drive then work 4 hours then drive home so all the time savers I can get are helpfull ....

Bent Rear Scraper Blade

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-21          49715

Docs:
Love the imatch. You back up to the attachment, lift it, and pull away. You only have to get off the tractor once to flip the locking levers closed (I'm trying to figure out a way to do that from the seat, but they are just out of reach). It adds about half a foot to the overall length of the tractor. By the way, I have contacted the dealer to complain about the bent blade and he says he is looking into the problem.
Ken ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login