Go Bottom Go Bottom

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-14          49272

had my tractor now for 3 weeks got 9.7 hours on clock, man im sure happy with this machine.it dont have all the bells and whistles as other models have but it makes just as much if not more noise when it comes getting work done than the others i looked at.im a happy green man!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Pacesetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-15          49275

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago you were asking about what to buy! I'm glad you're happy with your decision, that's what it's all about!
Keep us posted!
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-17          49390

tractor is only 2weeks old not 3 sorry hit wrong no, ....

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-02-17          49409

plots, how are you making out with that 790 ? I used mine today for 5 hours claearing snow. Had arnd 24 inches of snow, most I ever tried moving with my 790. I was really impressed with it's performance. I wouldn't want anything bigger, would be harder to turn around in confined areas.Also, i'm impressed with the 790's fuel efficiency. could just be my imagination, but it seems that the fuel indicator hardley moves. In 5 hrs/2000 rpm of use today, i only used 1/4 tank of fuel.......Ron L. ....

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-02-17          49429

plots1

Congratulation on a good choice of Tractor. Have my JD 790 going on second winter an have no regrets. I"m amazed how
well it starts. We had a couple of morning with temperatures
down in the single digit an it Started right up..

MYDOGROY

MY JD 790 will hang on the full mark for a long time but when it
starts moving, it seem to pick up speed as it approaches the
E mark... ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-17          49430

all i can say is im EXTREMLY happy with my 790 its going to to fit the bill well around my 40 .about the gas needle,at first i was thinking mine was broke, but as gunfighter said moving a little faster after it comes off full. all in all it still is a sipper on fuel. the 4ooo series deere's are more roomy and plush, but if it were a cadilac i was after i wouldnt have gone to tractor dealer.had to trow that 2 cents in beings buddy always hasseling me about his 4310. my 790 will work right by its side proudly and it cost less! ....

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-02-18          49435

There is no getting around it, the JD 4310 is loaded with a lot of feathers but they come at a heafty price. I really don't feel all those electronic gizmo's an gadgets are going to last as long as a the hardware does.

There is a old saying" Keep It Simple Stupid, There's Less To Go Wrong"

I would not trade the JD 790 even up for a 4310 but I would trade my JD 790 gear for a JD 790 HST, providing they did not add all those complicated electronic controls... ....

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-02-18          49477

I've got a question? When i curl my 70 loader bucket all the way back, it appears that the bucket isn't straight across. The right side is approximatly 3/4 inch higher than left side(on level grnd). I could have sworn that it wasn't like that when it was new. Do you guys think that something is bent, or, is it just the nature of the beast? I have done some light excavaing in the past, i hope i didn't bend the bucket or one of the side arms. Thanks..Ron L. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-19          49496

I think that leveling most loaders is a part of the instillation. I guess the implication would be that they could be re-leveled, but heck I don't know if that's even true for my loader. I might try loosening the mounts, trying to lever the bucket level and re-tighten the mounts. There are torque specs for mounts and it'd be good to use a torque wrench. It's also good to check the torque on loader mounts periodically and also lift the front wheels with down-pressure and inspect the welds for cracks. Weight of the tractor can spread a small crack so it can be seen.

I've heard of people putting a block under the low side and trying to spring it back into level with down-pressure but that sounds pretty hit-and-miss.

View my Photos
NCSUGrad98

2003-02-21          49696

I'm glad to see a group heralding the 790. I was looking to buy one of these at first, but have been dissuaded by some who say I should go for the bells and whistles. I don't know a lot about modern tractors--all I've ever operated is an old Ford Jubilee. I've been to the JD website and it appears that the 790 and 990 are compatible with most of the JD attachments. I thought any tractor with a cat 1 PTO could use any cat 1 equipment, provided it had enough power.

Can someone tell me what bells and whistles I'd be losing on the 790 or 990? Can I buy equipment and other attachments not made by JD, or will I stuck buying the stuff specially made for the 790/990? Any input would be appreciated! ....

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-02-21          49707

NC,I have a 990 and I use a bushog brand FEL and a bushog brand 6' cutter.You should not have any problem with other brand implements.Good tractor!Rick ....

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-02-21          49725

NC,
AS LONG AS ONE USES THE SAME CATAGORY IMPLEMENT. I BELEIVE THAT THE 790 IS A CATEGORY 1. THEY RATE THE CATEGORY BY HORSE POWER. IM NOT EXACTLY SURE WHERE THE PARAMETER FALLS, BUT THE FOLLOWING WOULD BE AN EXAMPLE
CATEGORY 0 10-20 HP
CATEGORY 1 20-30 HP
CATEGORY 2 30-40 HP
THE ABOVE IS JUST AN EXAMPLE, IM NOT SURE OF THE ACTUAL PARAMETERS. BUT, AS A RULE OF THUMB, YOU SHOULD STAY WITH THE IMPLEMENT THAT FITS YOUR CATEGORY. ALTHOUGH ALL OF THE CATEGORYS ARE DESIGNED USING THE SAME GENERAL IDEA, THEY ARE OF DIFFERENT WEIGHTS,SIZES,STRENTH ETC. ....

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2003-02-21          49727

The categories are rated by drawbar horsepower and weight, I believe.
The pin sizes for the upper and lower links get larger as the category number goes up.
Here are the sizes:
Diameter,
Draw Bar HP Upper Link Lower Link Spacing
Cat. 0- up to 20 5/8" 5/8" 20"
Cat 1- up to 45 3/4" 7/8" 26"
Cat 2- 40 to 100 1" 1 1/8" 32"
Cat 3- 80 to 225 1-1/4" 1-7/16" 38"
Cat 4- 180 to 400 1 3/4" 2" 46

On my Deere 670, the upper link is 3/4", the lowers are 5/8". Engine HP is 19, PTO HP is 16.5.

So, at least with the compact tractors, there appears to be a bit of a combination of Cat 0 and Cat. 1.

View my Photos
drawbow2

2003-02-21          49732

Good,to here this tractor is liked just purchased one and will receive in a week. can't wait to see the performace for myself. I'm also glad i found this site. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-21          49747

drawbow2 you should be happy, great little machine.post back when you recieve and tell us what you think. ....

View my Photos
david-s

2003-02-24          49930

is this a bargain?
2003 790 4wd
410 front loader
513 box cutter
16' trailer w/ramps

all for $16,500.00 ....

View my Photos
G-tec

2003-03-22          51632

Is this a good price for a new 4x4 JD790?
Plus Loader
5ft box blade
5ft Rotary cutter
15,575?

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login