Go Bottom Go Bottom

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
nasher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-11          49067

Its seems that everything which emits exhaust today is seen as a potential health hazard----especially diesel exhaust. I have a 4100 that I keep in my shop. I got to thinking that everytime I crank my tractor this black puff of diesel exhaust is spreading all these diesel particles around my shop (which is not very large). So, I rigged up an old shop vac hose to let the exhaust out the window when the tractor is first cranked---it seems pretty effective? Is there any real concern with diesel exhaust or am I over reacting?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-11          49069

Everyone acts different to exhaust smoke. I had a farm customer who got out of farming 15 years ago as I couldn't find him enough gas tractors to run his farm. You have to feel comfortable with the fumes in your shop and if you aren't than I think your hose is just fine. Now for the girl that I saw a few years back that had a T-shirt that says "diesel smoke makes me horny" she is not in the same game as you! ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-02-11          49072

Yes,
Diesel exhaust does contain carcenogens (sp?). But so does most other things. I have discovered the sole cause of cancer and death!!Want to hear what it is....its called living. Being born causes death...eventually.
I refuse to take what I consider unreasonable precautions to possibly extend my life by a few years. I do wear respirators around pesticides and hard chemicals, wear eye protection, etc for saftey and the biggies on health care. I will not worry and nitpick carcenogen issues all of my life just to add a couple of years on the end of it. Who needs a couple of more years of being bedfast in a nursing home anyway? I prefer to enjoy it NOW and take reasonable precautions for the future, but not live in fear.

I also use an exhaust hose in my shop whem working on a running engine. CO will kill you NOW.

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-11          49075

As stated allowing the exhaust to plumb outside is a good idea for running any engine, gas, propane or diesel.
I worry about it once in a while when I start my MF65 in the barn. The fumes fill the shed and the chickens are on the end. Birds are even more susceptible to fumes than us due to their weak lungs. The door is open but.
Peters ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-11          49080

I'd be more worried about the emissions of an old Ford 8N. Modern diesels are much cleaner than those even 10 years old. Your vacuum idea is a very effective solution.
The California Air Resource Board gets all panicky about these things. Just the other day my father relayed a story to me. He used to work in the service department of a heavy truck dealership in the late '70s. At that garage, they didn't even vent the exhaust outside! Nobody got sick, nobody died. Sure, his overalls smelled of Detroit Diesel, Cummins, and Cat but the sun rose the next day.
Diesel exhaust has much less CO than the gasoline exhaust. However, here is another interesting tidbit. I read an article in an automotive magazine about five years ago on a Saab 9-5. Saab told the magazine that if the 9-5 was started in the middle of London, the exhaust leaving the engine would be "cleaner" than the air going into the engine. Its crazy, but true. In fact, I bet a person would have to work at carbon monoxide poisoning in this day and age! ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-11          49097

I guess we all have our stories.
I worked cutting shakes one summer. Shakers are notorious for not wasting money on equipment used only off-road.
We had an old Chev 10 dual axel gravel truck with a screeming Jimmy for hauling blocks. The exhaust was broken off behind the cab before the stack. The rust on the cab meant that 50% blew away and 50% you ate. It didn't bother you that much as the noise in the cab from the engine and straight pipe exhaust and the transmission that like to jump out of gear on the down grades kept you busy. Thought about jumping more than once and leaving it to its own devises. The joy of working in the mountains. ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
treeman

2003-02-11          49102

Hey, If the smoke bothers you and it's no problem hooking up the hose.....DO IT! Who cares if it's between bad and real bad.

Man, I wished I had a wife that would get horny breathing exhaust fumes! ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-02-12          49118

Before I got my little NH tractor, Dad's MF135 about turned me against diesels. It's got a few hours on it, and has an exhaust system like a car, the tailpipe comes out just behind the rear axle. Any time you're hooking up an implement (cussing & sweating) it puffs diesel fumes right out on your face. Of course you have to leave it running for the inevitable moving back & forth, etc to get it hooked up.
Bill ....

diesel exhaust

View my Photos
kay

2003-02-12          49152

Slowrev --- thank you!
You hit that perverbial nail smack on the head. Just as I believe and "wish" I had said it first.

We have many people who dream up things for us to be "feared" of, to the point some poor souls live their life in fear of touching, breathing, eating, saying, experiencing, or being politically incorrect. I refuse to be "afraid". Time to have fun! Now, about that T-shirt ----- is there any truth to it? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login