Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mower blades in sets of 3

View my Photos
X595
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-05          48711

There was a post on another forum about John Deere only selling mower blades in sets of three rather than individually. I, like the poster, have damaged a single blade while the other two were just fine. John Deere makes you buy a set of three so you end up with two new ones on the shelf. I suppose I'm all ready to starting mowing into rocks, culverts, stumps, iron, because I have the extra blades but this policy seems stupid. I know of one dealer who opens a set of three and will sell an indiviudal blade. He deals mostly with farmers and told me he got so much "heat" from them he decided it was worth it to have an opened set on his shelf rather than an irritated farmer. My dealer claims that Deere told him it was a liability issue because a new blade combined with used blades could cause a vibration problem and damage to the mower or a bystander. This sounds crazy to me. Do the other manufacturers sell only in sets or can you get one blade? It just sounds like JD would like to sell some more parts.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cef2lion

2003-02-05          48720

I might have been the one that posted in another forum. I have not gotten any responces from that post. It appears for my deck John Deere only sells these in sets of three but the one dealer sold me another blade that was in it's own packaging. Researching the part number seems to show that this blades fits certain 400 series gardent tractor with 60 inch deck. Might be they sell some in sets of three and other as singles. Doesn't make sense to me.

My deck calls for: M128485
I was sold: M141785

This helped me out in building another complete set of blades but I'm wondering about running a blade that is not for my deck. Visually it looks the same except it is 1/2 inch shorter. I'm most likely taking it back.

Craig ....

View my Photos
kay

2003-02-05          48738

It didn't bother me (when I ruined one blade catching a stump) to pick up a package of three. I figured if I could ruin one, then I could also ruin another. Sure enough, that happened. Crazy or not, Deere does pack them three to a carton. I feel more comfortable getting an un-opened carton with the correct blades than some "loose" ones off the shelf in the parts dept. I don't know how many different blades there are, sold by Deere over the last 40(?) years, but there has to be a lot.

There are bigger things for me to fret about than a couple spare blades on the shelf, ready to go when I need them, and that I also don't have to make "another" trip to the Deere dealer (that usually gets me into more trouble cause I find things I can't do without). I just don't think this is a "biggy" to complain about. The liability thing is likely a "real" thing that Deere as well as the dealer should worry about. But sounds like the dealer can break open boxes if they want to cater to those that want one-zies. ....

View my Photos
Stan

2003-02-05          48739

I have three full sets of blades for my mower deck. I can purchase individual blades, but this is because one blade of the three is different. They sell both individuals and sets. ....

View my Photos
X595

2003-02-05          48747

Stan, for which mowing deck are you able to get individual blades? My dealer says that individual blades are not available for the 62" deck on my X595. Again, he was willing to open a box and sell me one but as convenience to the customer. I remember trying to get a single blade for the 60" deck on my 445 and was told the same thing by another dealer. This dealer refused to open a set. ....

View my Photos
Stan

2003-02-06          48759

OOPS - the individual blades were for the Massey. My 445 I could but single blades from local dealer - the parts guy just brought them out, so I never saw a package. Also, I bought some of my blades from my neighbor, who runs a sharpening service. Don't know where/how he got them. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48764

I have a Landpride rear mower, with 3 blades. The dealer told me they came in sets of 3. I asked him if I could buy one but you said he didn't know what he'd do with the other 2. I think he would have sold me 1, if I would have pressed the issue.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48803

You know I like to stir the pot but last summer we had a discussion concerning the mulching leaves/grass and better cut in general and less clogging of the deck. I also remember it was reference as better at wet grass. At the time it was recommended that you switch to the Silver Streak gatorback blades (Art White and others). Therefore my question is if John Deere does not want to sell individual blades why not switch to a better blade for the deck? ....

Link:   Silver Streak Conversion Chart

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-02-06          48815

I routinely buy a spare set of 3 blades for my mowers (595/54", JD272, LPFDR25-84"), because I sharpen at least 2-3 times each season, and I like to pull off the dull set and replace with a sharp set. Then I can take my time resharpening the dull set.
That doesn't give JD a rationale for a policy of not selling singles. Manufacturing blades to the proper tolerance to match up with older ones isn't rocket science (maybe bad reference in light of the Columbia). If I wreck one blade, I'd want to buy a single, not another trio.
jim ....

View my Photos
kay

2003-02-06          48817

I tried the gator blades, and went back to Deere blades. I am much happier with the overall cut with the Deere blades, and also do not use the Hi-lift blades. Just my preference, but I tried the gators in several situations, but just didn't become a believer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login