Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4115

View my Photos
Ray
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-26          48161

I recently purchased a JD 4115 and absolutely love the tractor. However, I now find that I have a need to occasionally use a backhoe. According to the charts, John Deere soesn't make one that fits. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket backhoe that I can match up with the 4115? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4115

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-26          48165

I seem to recall that JD doesn't provide warranty coverage for backhoe use on 4100. I don't know if that's also true for the newer models as well. I've also heard something about JD designing a hoe for their small compacts that they will recommend. A JD dealer might have some info.

I believe there are owners who have after-market sub-frame hoes on 4100's but there may be a warranty issue. If sub-frame models aren't available, most any small 3ph hoe would mount but there's considerable risk of breaking any compact tractor when using a 3ph hoe. If uses are infrequent and light-duty, the risks from using a 3ph hoe can be accepted, which is what I've been doing for the past 4 years. However, my Ford 1710 is stronger than many newer compacts and has cast iron cases. I think the cases on 4100's are aluminum and maybe on later models as well.

JD 4115

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-26          48179

Tom is correct in his recollection: The rear end of the 41xx series is a mixture of aluminum and ferrous castings. This fact and the structure of the tractor (the drivetrain components ARE the frame) mitigate against mounting a three point backhoe.

Deere says the tractor is "not compatible" with any backhoe and after extensive searching I could find no aftermarket sub-frame for this model.

I came up with three options:

1) Get a real small (4 ft.) backhoe and mount it on the three point hitch, kiss the warranty goodbye, and hope I don't break the tractor in half using it.

2) Buy a Trencherman from Northern Tool and use the tractor to tow it around, or maybe figure out a way to cart it around with the three point and have it attached just to a trailer ball/drawbar while in use.

3) Get another tractor.

Number one and number two both cost at least $5000.00 by the time all was said and done and would result in a half-ass backhoe.

I figured I could get a new tractor, which I did, sell the 4100 and take a $3000-4000 loss and still come out ahead.

The only fly in the ointment is that so far I have not been able to sell the 4100.

Do a word search through the archives on the board and you will find lots of debate and info on the topic of 4100's and backhoes. Mark ....

Link:   

Click Here

JD 4115

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-26          48189

My JD dealer has a 4110 on his lot with a Land Pride backhoe mounted to it. The hoe is a subframe mount, I think a 6' model. I haven't priced it out yet. I do not know how a subframe mounted hoe would affect the tractor's warranty, but apparantly my dealer is not worried about selling them. Keep in mind that the tall folding ROPS is required to mount a hoe to the 4115, to allow for operator headroom. Mazzotti is another company that manufactures a subframe backhoe for compact tractors. ....

JD 4115

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-27          48243

Land Pride was on of the companies I contacted last year and they said they didn't have a subframe for the 4100 then, maybe something has changed. ....

JD 4115

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-27          48267

Ok, here is the official word.

Mark
Thanks for your interest in Land Pride!
We do have a sub-frame kit available for the JD4100 with the LP backhoe BH1560. ( sub-frame part# 340-149A )
We have not had the opportunity to fit it to a JD4110 yet, but it is my understanding that the two tractors are built on the same frame, so it should fit the JD4110 as well.
Thanks Again!
LJ Wasinger
Land Pride Whole Goods

JD 4115

View my Photos
BruceZ

2003-01-28          48320

I have found that Kelley makes a small backhoe for the 4100 tractor, they are at www.kelleymanufacturing.com ....

JD 4115

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-28          48329

Never could get that web site to work. Does your Kelley hoe come with a sub-frame? ....

JD 4115

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-28          48330

Mark, now you need to buy a hoe to make your 4100 more attractive!
When I am ready to take the plunge, I will seriously consider the pros and cons of going with a subframe mount hoe for my 4110 vs. just upgrading to a larger, backhoe compatible tractor. With the type of terrain I have (The Granite State), I question how well a small backhoe would work. ....

JD 4115

View my Photos
BruceZ

2003-01-28          48351

I don't actually have a backhoe but as a check around for one that will fit my 4100 I found the Kelley hoe. I used to get the site to come up fine but I just tried it myself and it won't work. I saw it on the site and I believe it was a frame mount unit. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login