Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mark Hunstiger-JD 4610 ehydro

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-08          47173

Hey Mark, do you remember, right after I bought my tractor, us talking about all the electronic switches and wondering if they would hold up? Our main concern was the switches getting wet. I've been doing some testing over the past few months. When I wash the tractor, using a 2,000 psi power washer, I've been spraying the water directly into these switches. I've done this 3 times so far and it hasn't affected the switches yet. I figured since it was under warranty, I had nothing to lose. Besides, I know you wanted to know but more importantly, so did I.

Billy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-08          47181

Better use a soft rag after the warranty runs out ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-08          47183

In my own humble opinion, I would venture to say that meets the definition of abuse. If you abuse anything long enough it will fail. Warranty is designed to cover failure under fair wear and tear circumstances. When your tractor has problems in that area down the road (after the warranty has expired), you'll at least know why and what to replace. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-08          47187

Yes Billy, I do recall that discussion. I am sure JD engineers took tractor washing into account when they spec'd out those switches.
Hold on a minute, my tongue got stuck in my cheek.
OK, better now.
Around my place we get 70 mph wind driven rain, almost like your pressure washer.
BTW, I am still going to do that flabby tire experiment we talked about too. Mark ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-08          47189

So Chief, you're telling me JD tractors aren't suppose to be wash with a power washer? If that's the case, I'd better switch brands. It's not like I held the sprayer right up to the switches but I did spray water over them. If they can't take water, they should have put them someplace beside the top of the fender. That's my humble opinion.

Maybe Larry was right, a nice soft rag.

Billy ....

View my Photos
John R.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-08          47197

I guess I don't find it too surprising that the switches are holding up pretty well. Here's my thinking. First the PTO switch is the same one that has been used on the 4500-4700. Most of the other switches are the same general design as the cruise control switch that was used on the 4000 series. The only switch that looks new to me is the MFWD control switch. All the other switches have been on tractors and exposed to the weather for some time and I am not hearing of many problems here or from John Deere owners I know.

Also, I have learned from a mechanic that the only switch required to be in place for the eHydro to work is the PTO switch. If the PTO switch is not in place the safety logic won't let the engine run, but all the others can be missing and the tractor will still drive--you just lose the functions that the switch activate. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-01-08          47198

"I've been doing some testing over the past few months. When I wash the tractor, using a 2,000 psi power washer, I've been spraying the water directly into these switches. I've done this 3 times so far and it hasn't affected the switches yet. I figured since it was under warranty, I had nothing to lose."

Does that sound to anyone else here like he was spraying water over the switches???

Billy, it is your tractor to do with what you want. I think you should go back and read your own post though.

Pressure washing the tractor is fine. Over spray on the switch is to be expected. Spraying 2000 psi water directly into an electrical switch is let's say.........less than helpful to longevity of the switch.

Its a free country....go with whatever brand suits your fancy.

You may want to test those switches with a 4000 psi heated pressure washer; John Deere Research and Development might be able to use your test data ;-). Nice tractor you got there anyway. Enjoy! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-08          47202

Chief

I did spray it into the switches. Just like a really hard blowing rain, which I was simulating. I did hold the nozzil (fan nozzil) about 4 feet away. This whole discussion came up a while back, about rain and the switches holding up.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login