Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 855 4X4 - REPLACE AG TIRES WITH R4 S

View my Photos
kpatrick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-03          45685

I would like to replace the AG tires with R4's on my JD 855 4X4 tractor.

Has anyone done this with this model and would you recommend it?

What's the best way to go about this? I understand turf wheels can be used for the R4's. Is this correct? It seems that if I can find a used set of turf wheels then I only need to figure out what size R4's will work.

How do you determine what size tires are correct?

Thank you for any help. I'm very green...

Kevin P. McElwee
Walterville, Oregon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-03          45688

What size are your present tires? ....

View my Photos
kpatrick

2002-12-03          45689

Mark,

I'll check the spec's. this evening... they're currently the stock bar-tread tires and wheels.

Regards,

Kevin ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-03          45692

I have turfs on the front and R4 on the rear of my 955. From the book I think it is the same tractor with greater HP. I believe that they are the same rims for the stock tires. I certainly don't have any windup with my set up. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-04          45712

I think the conversion is common enough that a dealer would be aware of R4 tire sets that would work. A do it yourself conversion might cost less. After-market tires and wheels might knock the price down.

The size issue is that tractor front and rear drive trains have different final drive gear ratios to accommodate different sized front and rear tires. To keep the tires laying the same amount of rubber on the ground, the front and rear tire rolling circumferences have to be in proportion to the front and rear drive ratio.

To solve it exactly, the drive ratio must be known as well as the percent front axle lead spec and the rolling circumference of the front or back tires. An ideal rolling circumference for the other tire can be calculated. Some tire manufacturers include rolling circumferences along with the tire data. It can be approximated by pi times the outside diameter. However, like Peters comment, the issue isn't so critical that just 'eyeballing' a tire would likely give a decent match most times. Juggling tire pressures around also will fix a range of mismatch problems. Asking a dealer would be good insurance though.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login