Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4100 and a 60 inch brushhog does it work

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-18          45114

Hi folks, I am still trying to sell my 4100 and I have a potential buyer, but he is concerned that it isn't big enough to run a 60 inch brushhog.
Anyone out there have a combo like this that can report on it's performamce?
Deere is telling my buyer a 60 inch won't even fit on the tractor !!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-18          45118

Mark, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but Unless this buyer is only going to cut very light field grass the 60" is to big for the 4100. I had a 755 which is the predecessor of the 4100 and I ran a 4' hog on it. The 15-16 pto hp would bog down fairly easily.

David ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-18          45128

From what I understand he has several arces of wild alfalfa to keep in check. If it makes a difference, the 4100 is rated at 17 pto hp. The very similar Boomer TC21 also has 17 at the pto and is factory rated for a 60 inch cutter. Deere rates the 4100 for a 60 inch rear mower, does a cutter (brushhog) need more horsepower than a finish mower? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-11-18          45133

I had a 750 with a 4ft and it would also bog down. I would not consider anything larger. I also had a 60" finish mower which worked well. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-19          45149

A 60" rotary cutter is just too big for a 4100.

Rotary cutters can require more HP than a finish mower. The moving parts have more mass and turn at slower RPMs on a rotary cutter compared to a finish mower. Also, in most cases there is considerably more cut material to deal with, and the posibility of harder more dense material to make matters worse.

Sorry, this is not the popular answer. Any complaints on th elaws of physics should be forwarded to www.sirisaacnewton.com ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-19          45151

I suppose I'd look at some cutter manufacturer sites and see what the recommended HP ranges are. The recommended ranges are determined by the max rating for a cutter, which usually is 1" material for light duty models. Cutting alfalfa probably would take towards the low end of a recommended range. Slower ground speeds also reduce HP requirements. A known 5' cutter with a recommended power range that covers the 4100 might be a good selling point, but even so the buyer should be aware that he might not be able to cut anything he wants or go as fast as he wants. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-19          45153

No complaints from me folks. One of the hallmarks of this forum is the honesty found here. To paraphrase a cartoon hero, it am what it am. I'll get the thing sold sooner or later. ....

View my Photos
Jamie

2002-12-26          46607

I had a 4100 and mowed with a 5' brush hog. I mowed small trees and multi-flower rose with it. I didn't have any problems. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-27          46624

Answers are all over the place, as they should be. As was previously stated here, it all depends on how hard he will be using the 5' cutter. That will hold true with any machinery, even if well matched you can go where you should not go and break something or hurt someone. Much like Dirty Harry says, "a man has to know his limitations".

When I looked to upgrade my B7100, I was told by the J/D dealer to the south that a 4100 or 755 would be just the ticket, no limitations with the 5' hog. The dealer to the west told me I needed an 855 at a minimum. I tried to go with the dealer to the west and when he found out I had a Kubota to trade that had been purchased at a nearby dealer a couple years prior, he got mad at me and began beating me up on the phone, then stated that he would not do business with me, quite an experience.

Back to the subject, I bought the 4100 from the southern dealer only to trade up for a more powerful machine two years later. My hogging includes tall field grass, small trees, brush and anything else the tractor will run over. In my experience, the 4100 is too light to carry that 5' hog safely without the loader or front weights on it. Not an issue but the buyer should know that. If he hasn't purchased the cutter as of yet, perhaps he would be willing to look at a 4' if the deal on the tractor is good! Just a thought. ....

View my Photos
J. Bowen

2002-12-27          46629

I used a 60" Brushhog on my 4100. It didn't bog down but was definitely too heavy (450#)for frequent use with this lighter frame tractor. Front weights are definitely required

Some people, however, are probably doing just fine using lighter duty 60" brushhogs for light jobs.

In general I wouldn't recommend the 60". I sold the bushhog to someone with a heavier tractor.

Jim Bowen ....

View my Photos
Mr_Ed

2002-12-30          46721

I have a 4100 with a five foot King Kutter bush hog. Depending upon manufacturer, recommendations range from 4 foot to five foot for a bush hog for this tractor. The bush hog I have works just fine. I mainly cut tall grass and light brush. I have never had a problem with the tractor bogging.

The five foot bush hog is a bit heavy for this machine. If I am doing hilly terrain, I add my FEL to the front for counter balance. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login