Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Av8tor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-02          43215

I'm a proud owner of the JD 870 4WD with JD FEL and backhoe. I'm looking to put R-4 tires on, currently my tractor has Turf tires. Local dealer says they have no idea if it's possible and no way to find out, but maybe if I switch to Ag rims it will work. Has anyone done this before and what rim size will I need. Oh by the way local shop guy had to ask me what R-4 industrial tires were. Glad I haven't had to use them for repairs, and won't. I'm wanting to buy rims and tires so switching won't be a problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-02          43223

I had a similar dilemma with my 4100. Deere charges so much money for replacement tires and wheels that if I were them I would not sleep nights. Have you thought about just getting the appropriate sized all season/mud & snow truck tires from a regular tire store and putting them on the rims you have? ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Av8tor

2002-10-02          43229

No it is an Idea I hadn't thought about. I kind of wanted to keep the old turf tires and rims mounted for the mowing that will soon come. ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-02          43239

Auto and truck tires sort of bridge the gap between turfs and industrials. Check Gemplers to see if they have your bolt pattern and rim sizes. ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-03          43273

There are tire shops that specialize in ag work in most areas. I'd find one and work with them. It's my impression that turfs and R4's often are of similar widths and may mount on the same wheels. However, the tire diameters (rolling circumferences) need to have a similar ratio as a standard tire set. There is bunch of reading about rolling circumference ratios in the archives. Sometimes it's a little difficult to find a set of R4's that will mount on available wheels and maintain a close enough RCR.

I thought about R4's myself some years back. Since then, I learned to manage my traction problems and my fairly small loader bucket doesn't create serious front tire load problems. I also road the tractor and prefer the softer ride of turfs. I can drive on the lawn more when it's wet. I'm going to wait till the turfs wear out and think it through again, but maybe I'll just stick with turfs.

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Av8tor

2002-10-03          43275

Thanks for the food for thought, it has opened up some possibilities I hadn't thought of. It sounds like the best choice will be get both rim sizes. The ones for ag tires and my turf tires and head to a tire store....and between truck tires and industrials see if they can come up with a combo that will work. ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-10-03          43288

I ran across Hey Wheel recently. They seem to have great prices on a wide variety of wheels. Might be handy if you get in a bind looking for a specific wheel. They will custom build as well. Located at www.heywheel.com. Dave ....

Link:   Hey Wheel

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
mascdm

2002-10-04          43374

The 870 manual is not very clear on this but you have to match the wheels and tires for the gear ratio of the two differentials IF your tractor is equipped with MFWD. There is a table that shows this. It's clearer if you look in the 80 loader manual.

It's a bad idea to try and mount R1 or R4 tires on the rims designed for your R3 Turf tires IF you have MFWD.

Deere specifies in the manual which rim/tire combinations are correct for the MFWD 870. The R1/R4 rims are two-piece rims and your R3 Turf tires have one-piece rims.

If you want to switch between one type of tire and another AND have MFWD, you are going to need two sets of rims.

ALSO you can't mix front and rear tire types with MFWD either.

I got lucky when I wanted to have a set of R1s to go with my R3s and found a dealer who had a set of mounted R1s with hardly any use. They cost me $1,000 which is almost what a new set of rims would have cost from Deere ($800 plus shipping and tax)!!!

I was going to look at Yanmar and other Japanese mfrs to see if their was a chance they would fit and I could buy their wheels cheaper, but the dealer came along with exactly what I needed and I didn't check the other routes.

For MFWD 870, you need 7-14 1-piece rims in the front and 12.4-24 2-piece rims in the rear. Then you need rubber, tubes, and mounting. New, you're looking at close to $2,000.

Amazing, I know.

Charlie ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Av8tor

2002-10-04          43377

This has been helpful I'm now working on sizes with some tire shops we'll see what comes out of all this searching if I find what I'm looking for I'll post to tell what worked thanks again for all the help ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Bxhogan

2002-12-09          45930

Think Ebay!!!!!! When my tractor guy found tires for my 870 he got them office Ebay shipped for less than $2000. I would venture to say that they were about $1200.
Thanks
Brian ....

Wheels and tires

View my Photos
Petrops

2002-12-09          45941

I had a similar problem and posted it here. Got some good advice including the idea of using chains for teh times when I needed the additional traction. I haven't tried it yet but sounds like it makes good cents! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login