Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere losing power when warm

View my Photos
Brad H.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-01          43161

I am lookiing at purchasing a 317 JD. The owner tells me that when the engine warms up, it loses most power. He has replaced the coil, muffler, rings and had the carb. looked at. He tells me that it started doing this a year ago and he has owned it for 15 years. The previous owner had the engine replaced due to the problem JD had with the oil pressure in the 317 model. It has a Kohler engine. Should I start running from this now or is their a simple answer that he cannot find? Thanks for the help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Milton Williams

2002-10-01          43162

Are the valves adjustable? If they are with the age of this engine they may have the tendacy to be partially open when the engine is hot and everything has expanded. Valves have the tendacy to seat further into the head and reduce cam or rocker arm clearance. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-10-01          43163

This could be a tough one, or very simple but let's give it a try.

First check the gas cap to be sure it is venting.

I've also had, on one occasion, U-joints in the driveshaft connecting the eng, to the trans were failing, and yet no funny noises could be heard. I was there myself to wittness this, or I would never have believed it.

If those are not the culprit. Then I need some more info. A compression test would be nice.

View my Photos
Tom Laird

2002-10-01          43173

I'm with Milt on this one. As air-colled engines age, the valves typically set down further in the seat, thus reducing clearance. Heat expands the components and aggrivates the problem.

Tom Laird
Moline, IL. ....

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-26          44243

MRETHICS is right on. A compression test in this problem is a major factor that is missing. Why would anybody tear an engine down to the rings and not have the valves and seats re-ground and valve stem seals replaced??? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login