Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Lou P.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-25          4304

In the first five months of ownership, I have accumulated 115 hours on my 4300 HST. This is my first experience with a hydrostatic tractor. I love the machine, but I do notice it takes quite a bit of force to depress the hydro pedals in either direction. A & B range requires a moderate amount of force and C range even more. The force is increased under load. Can some of you give me feedback with your experience?Thanks,Lou

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Dave Chown

1999-05-25          4312

Similar results with my 4300 HST. Only 20 hours so far, amd I'm still trying to adjust to the "odd" pedal pressure. Reverse seems even harder (probably because it is just plain less responsive) than forward on mine, higher engine speed seems to make either a bit easier. ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
john

1999-05-25          4313

I have a jd4400 and experienced the same type of problem on delivery. My father in law, a john deere salesman (whom i bought the tractor from). drove it and said that the pedals were binding up or not adjusted correctley. He picked it up and took it to the shop, and sure enough the setup tech had not greased the pedal grease fitting. They are silky smooth now. I grease the fitting about every 50hrs. The tractor really works hard. good luck ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Lou P.

1999-05-26          4332

Dave,Your experience is exactly the same as mine. When I told the dealer of my complaint, he says their working on a fix. I hope they develop something soon. My feet are ready for a break after mowing 3-4 acres of fescue! Thanks for your comment.Lou ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Lou P.

1999-05-26          4333

John,I grease my pedals frequently. They are smooth, but still require a lot of downward pressure to move the tractor. How about you?Lou ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
john

1999-05-26          4342

Lou, when my tractor was first delivered the pedals required a lot of down pressure to operate, after going back to the dealer for adjustment (I will find out what they did to them) they have worked very smoothly and easily ever since. My biggest complaint before going back to the dealer was that reverse seemed like you almost had to stand on it to make it work. ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Dave

1999-05-26          4344

Part of what (maybe all) you are experiencing is inherent in the design of the J.D. design of the Hydro trans. That is why I bought a Kubota. I will try to go back in time to one of my Agricultural Engineering Courses and try to explain why, but it has been a few years and I probably have foggotten a lot.A hydro transmision work by having a hydrolic pump which drives a hydrolic motor with a variable plate in it that little hydraulic piston push against. If you angle this plate in one direction things move in one direction if you angle it in the opposite direction thing move in the opposite direction. If you angle it a little things move slow, if you angle it a lot things move faster. That is how you change the direction and speed of the tractor. In the J.D. and most hydros the linkage between the foot pedal and the plate is mechanical. As you need more power the pistons push against the plate harder this mean that you must push the pedal harder. This is not a problem with smaller tractors because of the mechanical advantage that the pedal has, but in the larger more powerful tractors it becomes more pronounced. If the linkage is not adjusted correctly it just make the problem worse.Kubota solved this problem by puting in an electric servo to do the pushing so that the force is not tranmitted back to the pedal. I think the J.D. trans is still a very strong dependable design but some pedal pressure will be a fact of life for you. Please forgive any error that years out of college have brought about. I truelly wanted a J.D. but because of the trans and some other factors I went with Orange. ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Louis Panuski

1999-05-26          4373

John,Whatever your dealer did for you, I need done to mine. Reverse is very stout! Please pass along your solution.Thanks,Lou ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Lou

1999-05-26          4374

Dave,I follow what your telling me. I'm hoping a linkage adjustment will lessen the force now required to move my tractor. I like the Kubota solution you mention. Maybe JD will produce a retrofit.....?Thanks,Lou ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
DougH

1999-05-27          4397

Me too! I only have about 5hrs on the new machine. By the end of the day I could feel it in my leg from pushing the pedal. I am wondering if by 200 hours my right leg will be substantially larger than my left. If any one comes up with anything to ease the problem, please post it.Doug ....

JD 4300 HST Hydro pedals

View my Photos
Tom

1999-05-30          4503

I believe that Deere has a fix for the hydro problem. I just took delivery on a 4300 and the dealer informed me that they would make this modification prior to delivery but found that mine was done at the factory. I would contact my dealer to have him do the modification. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login