Decision Time: X595 vs 4010 vs 4110: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Decision Time: X595 vs 4010 vs 4110: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-20-2002, 02:56 Post: 42679
MikeMag

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Decision Time: X595 vs 4010 vs 4110

I am ready to trade my '98 325 for a new tractor. I had my choices narrowed down to the X585 or X595. Then I saw the 4010 for about the same $$$ as the 595. It appears to be much more tractor. My dealer cautioned that I may not be happy with the power on the 4010 using a 60" deck in tall grass. My research shows the 4010 engine to be approx 750cc vs 1 ltr on the 595. I also looked at the 4110 but can't really justify the price differential. Having said that, I don't want to be "penny wise / pound foolish" a second time around. My reason for a new tractor is clearing a 900' paved drive with some areas of incline that gets severe drifts during the winter. I also have approx 3 acres of lawn. Total property size 17 acres with 10 wooded, 4 hayfield (gets cut twice a year by neigboring farmer). My 325 with single stage did not work. I borrowed brother's 455 with 47" blower and power was fine but 2wd w/ chains did not work. I have the scars on the driveway to remind me. I am going to buy before end of October to take advantage of JD promotion. Any advice or experience on these tractors would be greatly appreciated !!!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-20-2002, 06:29 Post: 42684
JackIL

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Mike,
It sounds like your primary applications are lawn mowing and snowblowing with the snowblowing needing 4WD for traction. The X595 is optimized for these applications. You do not indicate a need for using a lot of 3 point hitch implements. The compact tractor being taller and heavier would probably handle 3 point hitch implements easier than the X595. The X595 can be equipped with a Cat I 3 point hitch, but it is only well-suited for certain down-sized implements that have hitch dimensions to match the "short" Lawn and Garden Tractor dimensions. In addition there is a significant difference in horsepower in favor of the X595. I would go with it.

Jack

09-20-2002, 09:42 Post: 42695
J MALLOY

I have owned a 445 (2 W drive) with 47" blower for 10 years. Clear a 250' drive plus niehbors 200' drive and have never had a problems with wheel slippage. I use six of the "suitcase" weights plus wheel weights. I live in Iowa and we have had some heavy duty snowstorms here over the years. Would like to trade for a X-485 or X-595 myself, but wife says I would then have an alimony payment as well as new tractor payment, and I can't afford both.

JoeM

09-20-2002, 09:50 Post: 42696
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Last Time I checked Iowa was pretty flat compared to back here in the east. I had a two wheel drive when I owned flat land, now that I have 12 to 15% grades a 2wd would just cut up the pavement even with chains.

Dennis
CTB

09-20-2002, 09:59 Post: 42697
MRETHICS

Filter by User

I've been to Iowa. It's alot like Indiana, Illinois, Ohio. The terrain is very diverse. No mountains of course, but steep grades can lie within a few miles of flat land. Especially along rivers and streams. Iowa is a beautiful State.
Here in NW Indiana, on my own farm, I have fields as flat as a table, and some woodlands with grades so steep you can't walk up them.
The mid west rocks!!!!

09-20-2002, 10:17 Post: 42699
Big Eddy

For the same money - I would get the compact 4010, not the X595.

These are different machines. The 4010 is a tractor - the X595 a Garden Tractor - on steroids maybe - but still a Garden tractor.

60" mower decks should not be an issue for the 4010 - they can support a 72" rear mount mower.

If this is really a mowing machine on a manicured lot, then the 595 is your machine. And it can be used to do your driveway fine. If the reason for the new tractor is primarily the driveway, the 4010 will have much better traction, will mow fine, and gives you a more versatile machine for other uses ( read in the woods) .

4wd on the 595 and 4wd on the 4010 may sound the same but they won't operate the same. The 4010 has more ground clearance, and weight, both of which will help.

Add to it full support for 3pth attachments and my money is on the 4010.

If you ever intend to take your tractor into your woods - the limited ground clearance of the 595 will be a hinderance.

I have a 322 and an 855, and I can tell you there is no comparison. With 20 PTO HP my 855 has no problem running a 60" bush-hog, normally viewed as a more HP intensive attachment than a mower deck.

For what it's worth, I'd ask the dealer to let you take both home over a weekend to try.

09-20-2002, 10:29 Post: 42700
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

One problem with the 4010 is it only comes with a hydro transmission, so the HP rating that counts for mowing, at the PTO, is only 14 HP on this model. That seems a little low for a larger MMM. Might have to scale back on size there.

09-20-2002, 10:45 Post: 42701
MRETHICS

Filter by User

Myself, in your shoes, I'd get the X595.

If you are getting a loader, then go with the 4010/410loader
The 45 loader for the x series you would never be happy with.

09-20-2002, 21:59 Post: 42711
TC29 in Wa.
2002-09-20 00:00:00

Personnally I think your limiting yourself. For that type of investment I would also be looking at New Holland (TC18,TC21D and TC24D), as well as Kubota (B7500 or B2450). They are all good little tractors. And there are some good deals out there to be had.

09-21-2002, 06:36 Post: 42716
MikeMag

Filter by User

Thanks for all the responses guys ! It sounds like the responses are evenly split. To help clarify my use. I have use of a Bobcat if needed so I'd never be able to justify a FEL. My intended use for the 3PH is for a wood chipper attachment and a bush hog for the "field" portion of my property. Yes I am definitely doing a "Demo" before I buy. Again my main concern is being too underpowered with the 4010, otherwise that would be my choice. Everytime I approach the 2 local dealers that carry orange or blue and start talking $$$. Comparing apples to apples, they are not much if any cheaper than sticking with Deere. And maybe because my JD dealer is trying to "Retain" my business, the "real $$$" allowance for my 325 is better at JD dealer. I believe orange and blue are also quality machines. My personal pet peeve with both (or maybe I'm spoiled with my 325) is the lack of "Twin Touch" controls. In my opinion, Twin Touch is the nuts when it comes to smooth operator control. I'm sure I could get use to the heel & toe thing over time, but why force myself to adapt when Deere already has it.
I haven't heard any comments yet about the 4110. I take it that for my purposes, the extra money is not worth it.

To the gentleman in Iowa, Let me clarify my dilemma with wheel spin. 4-8" of powder is no problem for me either. Where I live the wind will drift the snow into a tight pack daily even 3 to 4 days after the latest snowfall. What I get is a 200' span of 2-3' solid drifts. It's normal for me to blow the driveway in the morning just to get the vehicles (both 4x4) out for work and then again in the afternoon just to get to the house after work. We live on a hill with a beautiful view of the valley..I tell my wife we have a nice 10 month home. Trouble is I haven't convinced her to move off the "mountain for those 2 months !!! (Joking)

I'm glad I found this site.......you guys provide valuable real world insight that you don't get from a brochure!

Again thanks for your help!!!! I'll let you know what I buy when I make that "final" decision.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 42679 Filter by Poster:
Big Eddy 1 | dcsmith 1 | DennisCTB 1 | Don M 2 | DRankin 2 | J MALLOY 1 | JackIL 2 | Jim on Timberridge 2 | Mickhippy 1 | MikeMag 3 | MRETHICS 3 | radman 2 | Stan_McC 1 | TC29 in Wa. 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob