Go Bottom Go Bottom

4400 lemon

View my Photos
Patick Jones
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-24          39805

The following e-mail was sent to JD summer 2001. Since that e-mail. a couple of other problems have come up. The tractor just turned 235 hours.
4400 disappointment | JDU | 2001-08-06 pjones

Before I bought my 4400, I read quite a few of the posts on this sight. Many of the negitive posts about the new JD tractors were related to first year models. I felt JD worked through many of these problems. Also, JD had the closest dealership. (A major factor for parts).

Well anyway, I'm 235 hours into ownership of a 4400, manufacture date of OCT, 2000.
At 30 hours the entire transmission went. (in the shop for almost 2 weeks)
At 70 hours, Trans fluid started leaking.
At 90 hours, the Hydo cylinders on the Loader failed.
At 100 hours the aluminum cast housing that the lower left 3 point hitch attaches to--broke. (In the shop 3 weeks).
At 160 hours, A major Hydo line broke by the battery (under hood) Dumped the entire fluid load on my driveway.
At 200 hours the 3 point hitch stopped working. (stuck valve) . The rear hitch will not lift when an implement is attached. IE: my box scraper. Take the implement off hitch works fine.
At 200 hours the loader sticks during operation. Such as when raising a load, if I don't hit the control to un-stick it, the load keeps raising. Dangerous .
At 200 hours gage window fogged over
Now at 235 hours the loader is stuck about 3 feet off the ground. Close inspection reveals the threaded rod under the control arm broke.
Also gage window is fogging up again (was fixed at 200 hours)

The JD dealer has explained "this series is not a true farm tractor". What does that mean?I box scrape, rake, load, and cut grass. What is the 4,400 made for?

I have e-mailed JD twice. I get responses like “The dealer will take care of it”. Work with the dealer. Now I’ve got 3 months left on my 2 year warranty with a lemon in my garage. Maybe I’m not unique. Maybe this is business or quality as usual with JD. The big question is: will JD step up to the plate and do something about this total piece of crap they sold me? What am I supposed to do, spend more money and file a law suit?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4400 lemon

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-06-24          39824

Keep hounding the dealer and john deere. Deere's consumer help line is 1-800-537-8233. The 4000 series has had more than it's fair share of problems but most if not all have been addressed. If you haven't been in contact with anyone at deere in almost a year with all of your problems then shame on you. Call your dealer and demand to talk with the territory aftermarket manager. He (or she) is your connection to get the dealer to act on these problems. If the dealer is unsatisfactory, then call the next closest dealer to see if they will help you. Don't wait until the warranty is expired to take action. People are always saying after warranty is over that "It's been like this since it was new." The dealer or deere doesn't want to hear that. Get moving! ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
Silverfox

2002-06-25          39836

I bought a new 4400 in the fall of 2000. I have had one problem with the tractor, a leaking bearing seal on the front axle. Also lost a seal on one of the FEL cylinders after a year. It now has 350 hrs. on it and going strong. Sounds like you did get a lemon. ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
Wi_Doug

2002-06-25          39838

If it is any consolation or cause for hope, I have a first year 4300 that experienced more than its share of problems - but not quite as many as your 4400. The dealer picked up the tractor, fixed the problem each time and then delivered it back to me. When my transmission went, he gave me two loaners - a 4400 and a 955(?).
Since then my warrenty has expired, but I have had no further problems. I am now at about 250 hours.
If I were you I would press for a replacement or extended warrenty. If all else fails, perhaps things will get better after the problems are all taken care of. ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-06-25          39841

get in contact with your dealer, use the hotline 110 gave you. you seem to have gotten a lemon.

i've sold several of those tractors and problems have been minor, but you seem to have got all the problems i missed.

i think the dealer's answer "this is not a farm tractor" is too lame, you deserve a little more than that kind of attention.

a few yaers ago, i sold a combine that just wouldn't keep working no matter what we did. after two seasons, i finally made the customer a deal on a trade he couldn't refuse. it was the only solution.

the problems with the combine in question were well known in our area, i didn't think i could give it away, but somebody made me an offer and it found a home. ( i actually begged the guy not to by it and let me take it to an auction) believe it or not, the new owner had no complaints, truth is stranger than fiction.

if your local dealer keeps giving you lip service, consult another dealer.

sorry you are haveing a bad experience.

4400 lemon

View my Photos
Brad Smith

2002-06-25          39844

Yup-I had so many probs with a 99 4300-all corrected by the dealer, that I traded for a 2002 JD 990-Really like the 990 and have nothing but good to say about how the dealer worked with me-no question, the 990 is more tractor and less lawnmower on steroids. ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
larry

2002-06-26          39863

You should send John Deere a copy of your post
It does sound tragic ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-26          39870

Patrick, have a look at the "4310 E-Hydro" thread. ....

4400 lemon

View my Photos
Mick

2002-06-29          39918

Sounds like a lemon.I have a 4400 with about 50hrs. on it with no problems at all.It is a 2001 model.Hope you can work something out. Most states have lemon laws applying to motor vehicles, but who knows if it applies to tractors? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login