Go Bottom Go Bottom

4600 front differential leak

View my Photos
sams hoggn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-30          37985

I went to start my trust ole steed and gave it a once over and noticed a puddle under the front differential, so I checked the level and shure enuff it was empty, so iwent to the car wash and hosed off the differental and it looks like the rear of the front diff seal is leaking. Any problems like this come up before with any one else?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-01          37991

That's not good news. I can't say if the problem is unusual for a 4600. On my Ford 1710, there are two o-rings and a gasket that seal the input pinion shaft. There also are four bolts for the cover. I'd check any such bolts for correct torque, but not hope for too much. O-rings seal pretty well and are pretty reliable in pressure systems and should perform even better in splash systems unless there is excessive play in the input shaft. Increasing compression by tightening the cover bolts may improve sealing of the gasket, but I'm not sure how much the o-rings would be affected.

Anyway, the bolts on my tractor are fairly easy to access, and I’d certainly check the torque. However, I would set them to valves specified in a manual rather than simply tightening things to try and stop a leak.

I do hear that synthetic hydraulic oils are more prone to leaking than petros. No guarantee but if there's synthetic oil in the axle, changing to a petro oil may stop minor leaks.

I'm not sure if this is relevant. However, I get a small hiss or air when I open the front axle fill cap on my 1710. I believe there are no vents on the axle and the hiss is normal. Some axles may be vented, and a clogged vent could aggravate a leak. Somebody who knows the tractor might know if there is a vent.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-01          38008

Check with your dealer and ask if there is a service bulletin for this problem. I think there is and you might get it fixed for free. Also, forewarned is forearmed, so check all the dozen or so service bulletins on this model. ....

View my Photos
Buddy

2002-05-01          38022

Any chance this 4600 has a 460 loader ? If so , was the manditory ballast on the rear? ....

View my Photos
Buddy

2002-05-01          38023

Any chance this 4600 has a 460 loader ? If so , was the manditory ballast on the rear? ....

View my Photos
Sams hoggn

2002-05-02          38050

I have a cammond 2c1 landscape box on the back as well as loaded tires with my 460 loader. It looks like theres an o-ring seal there leaking. ....

View my Photos
Buddy

2002-05-02          38078

Don't quote me: The minimum spec is 1500-1800LBS on the 3pt , loaded tires , and rear wheel weights "3 per". ....

View my Photos
Buddy

2002-05-04          38128

Correction: 1320 LBS on the 3pt. ....

View my Photos
Randy C.

2002-07-15          40402

I have A JD4500 with the same leak at the front axle. My tractor is out of warranty, but only has 120 hours. I am still contemplating the repair since my dealer is less than reliable. ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-07-15          40408

Have a 4700 HST. I had a fluid leak in the right front transaxle. Dealer found the seal wasn't fit properly. When something like this develops, you aren't likely to find the problem with mistorqued bolts or wrong fluid. Rather, get the unit to a dealer and get it fixed before you allow damage to multiply. It's pay me now or pay me later.
The JD Low Visc Hy-gard isn't my favorite fluid either -- and it's so light color-wise that it's not easy to see the level on the dipstick. But it's what JD says is right for these units.
jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login