Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
Dean Novitzke
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-18          37600

I am in the market for a compact tractor and narrowed it down to the JD 4200 or Kubota 2410/2710. I did locate a 1998 4200 w/loader with 279 hours for $12,200. Is this a good value? I plan on using the tractor to maintain a driveway, some landscaping and to build logging roads on my wooded 40 acre parcel in the future.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated!
Dean

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
Steve Podulka

2002-04-21          37689

I think so. I just bought and new 4200 with loader for $15,852 On Johndeere web site It list for about $20,000 I do not have it yet. I am waiting for the loader to come in. I ordered the loader with the heavy duty bucket. I have money down on the tractor and I just seen on JD's web site there may be and another $1,700 rebate. I do not know if I will be able to get it but will talk to dealer and see. My father in-law bought and new 4200 about 2 years ago. I think he paid about $16,800 for both tactor and loader with H/D bucket. hope this helps. (I think johndeere is better then Kubota. Just my opinion!) ....

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
SJ

2002-04-22          37726

Steve,
What options did your 4200 have at that price. Was it an SST or HST, etc. Trying to evaluate a price on a 4200 at a dealer here.

Thanks, ....

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
rdunstan

2002-04-23          37755

Suggest you look for an old Cat (D-2 or D-4) for raod building. I have a JD4100 and a JD1070 which is considerably bigger than the 4200. Neither is suited for building roads with the bucket or box scraper. One caveat is that I haven't tried a blade on the back of the tractor. Small Cats that run (and aren't very pretty) with a dozer can be found for 2-3K. They will push small stumps out of the way and smooth off enough dirt to move easily through the area. And as an added bonus they pull logs much better than a tractor. ....

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-23          37763

i've tried doctoring up some logging roads on hillsides with my JD4700, primarily using the FEL -- doesn't accomplish much. the results are disappointing -- lots of fiddling while not really shaping the road the way you want. Problems include the use of the bucket to move/scrape -- better to use a blade, and secondly the poor leverage of the FEL structure to push material, and thirdly utility tractors are just not heavy enough.
Regards using a rear blade or box scraper on the 3pt -- if you don't have top link control, the attachment rides up in response to load, which defeats the purpose of cutting to a desired depth, etc.
And neither the FEL or 3pt attachments handle embedded rock well.
Lesson: either equip yourself with a blade dozer, or pay the $70-100/hr to have a pro get the job done properly (the latter relinquishes the "fun" part).
I have a 70 acre tree farm on hills with 2+ miles of logging roads, which I maintain with mowing, etc. So i know what you're doing - ain't it wonderful ?
jim

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-24          37774

Jim's comments are pretty good. I'll add that trying to doz with a loader blade angled sharply down isn't a good idea. It's very easy to break a loader doing that. I do doz a bit with a fairly flat bucket and going very slow. It works mostly for filling a few potholes. However, I don't find a loader at all useful for grading. Maybe I just got my box scraper before I got the hang of loader grading. I use a box scraper for grading and almost all digging that doesn't require a hoe. I do have a hydraulic top-link that I consider a near essential.

As Jim mentioned, a 3ph floats upward. The cutting ability of a scraper or blade depends on its weight. Box scrapers, which tend to be much heavier than blades cut better. However, scraper don't side-cast material nor have all the angles tilts swings etc of a fancy blade. A blade won't carry material on it's front like a scraper unless fitted with end plates.

I imagine that ‘logging roads’ are what I’d call skidder trails. The roads used for heavy logging trucks around here actually are fairly well built roads. Skidder trails are essential here because they provide about the only way into the bush except for canoes. However, most skidder trails were cut without a thought of ever becoming maintained roads, and I think of them as mostly unmaintainable. They go across washes, side hills, steep grades and wet lands. There are just too many built in maintenance problems with most of them. You do see some pretty extreme maintenance efforts sometimes if somebody decides they really need one of them. However, sometimes attempts to maintain one can create more problems than it solves. Maintaining bush roads is a subject in its right and I’m sure there are people here who know more about it than I do.

JD 4200 Vs Kubota 2710

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-24          37779

WEBMASTER....How did this subject get broken up into three or four different threads? Is there a way to rejoin them? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login