Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 750 Charging system

View my Photos
seon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-10          37261

My JD 750 shows the battery charge to be 12V while running. Shouldn't it be at lease 13V to charge the battery? I've got to charge it every so often to start, especially if I haven't used it for a couple of weeks. I took the alternator and regulator to a rewind shop who told me that they couldn't bench test a "magnetic" type alternator. Went to the local tractor shop (MF)and they didn't carry a replacement and referred me back to the rewind shop. The JD dealer is some 75 miles down the road and before I drive down there, could anyone give me any suggestion as to how to test the alternator or regulator to see which is bad or why it's not fully charging the battery? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 750 Charging system

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-10          37268

It is rare for one of these magnetic alternators to go bad. 99% of the time I have found the regulator to be bad. To test the alternator, you need a voltmeter which has an AC voltage scale. I believe the spec is 28 - 32 AC volts at wide open throttle. If the alternator checks OK then it is saf to assume that the regulator is defective. One word of caution, if you get a replacement regulator, be careful to check that the mounting screws aren't too long. new regulators from deere are thinner than the original which can cause the screws to gouge into the fuel tank. Put some washers under the head of the screws or get shorter screws. ....

JD 750 Charging system

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-11          37276

I'd check the battery with a hydrometer and make sure the battery terminals and cables are good and clean. The chassis end of ground cables should be cleaned periodically. I believe my battery takes a fuller charge after I discovered that the alternator output terminal was still covered with factory blue paint and burnished it.

jd's suggestions are pretty good. You also could check a repair manual for procedures. A regulator testing procedure in my manual calls for measurement while the electrical system in under a load nearly equal to the alternator output. Experienced mechanics probably have other ways of identifying a bad regulator, but that's the one in my manual.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login