Go Bottom Go Bottom

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Doug C.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-04          37038

Anybody know of a dealer that sells discount parts or John Deere 4000 series tractors? My dealer charges full list only on parts. Is that a common practice?

Thanks,

Doug.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-04          37047

I have been scouring the internet and asking that question for nearly a year now and I think we are stuck with dealers and full retail. Even if you order parts from JD "online", the parts are shipped to the local dealer and that is where the money is exchanged. It would not suprise me to find out that Deere has some sort of 'fair trade' agreement with dealers similar to the way Levi's were sold years ago. If you try to discount the product the manufacturer cuts off the supply. I was complaining in this forum a couple of weeks ago that I when I went to find a set of replacement rims for my 4100, JD quoted nearly $750.00 for a set of plain steel rims. Similar rims from Gemplers sell for $30.00 to $46.00 each, and you got to know Gemplers is making a reasonable profit at these prices. So what does that say about Deere? ....

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-04          37062

My dealer claims his margins on implements and parts are minimal. nothing like the 100% retail markup that exists on clothes and most other goods. so he has little to pare down from MSRP.
Also, he has started to add on freight to most everything that he doesn't have on-site; this has gotten painful with some items having freight adders equal to 10-30% of the item's price.
Some dealers can be found with aggressive pricing however.
A new Frontier LR1172 landscape rake is $913 MSRP, which my dealer insisted was his bottom line; and he wanted freight to boot. Gauge wheels were another $300 MSRP.
I did some scouting of other JD dealers within 100 miles, and found one with the same rake on sale for $739; and quoted $240 for the wheels. And no freight.
My local dealer is now reluctantly accepting those prices.
The low ball dealer simply credited his buying power to the low prices.
go figure. jim. ....

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Bob P

2002-04-04          37063

Mark where is this Gemplers-Miller to found, on line or catalogs? More info would be great. I dont mind paying good money for a good product, but this steel rim situation sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Thanks. ....

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-05          37078

Gemplers is a www.com on-line store, similar to Northern Tool.

Pricing gets pretty complicated, and there's a bunch of prior discussion about it. I sure don't want to just open my wallet to NH, but I do understand some of the reasons for high pricing. Need to maintain a strong network of local dealers, and a need to protect dealers in small markets from volume price discounting. And, need to maintain a huge parts inventory system that contains huge numbers of parts from many models over many decades is very costly.

Happy customers are a goal. Grumbling from people who have to transport their tractors long distances for repairs is common enough. Screams of anguish from some quarters was very apparent when NH dropped parts support for pre '63 Ford tractors. In fact the old Fort tractor market is still pretty big and I imagine that organizations have emerged to provide parts support, if dealers can't help. In fact, most of the parts needed aren't made by tractor manufacturers at all. They come from parts manufacturers. A dealer parts system really isn't needed for many things, but of course it is a lot of work to keep track of the original spec and who's making what. That's essentially what NAPA does for automotive parts. People could do it for themselves and probably get discount prices, but it would be a lot of work.

I don't mind the prices too much, but I do have my limits. $643 CAN for a hydraulic t-fitting needed to attach a gauge to my PS steering line is beyond the pale. A hydraulics shop is going to make a t-fitting from the standard elbow that’s in the line for a lot less. I don't think I'd be above wheels from Gemplers or elsewhere despite my fondness for dealers.

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-05          37081

www.gemplers.com/ ....

Link:   

Click Here

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Steve Podulka jr

2002-04-11          37298

Doug, I just bought and new 4200 and the dealer said he would give me any parts for 10% off. I also got a good price on the tractor 13217.00 with mid. pto,folding rops. and sevs. also jot the loader for 2500.00 more. ....

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-04-11          37304

I have been sending E-mails to Deere asking they to explain their price structure and I used the wheels I mentioned above as the issue. Here is what I finally got back:

Dear Mark Hunstiger,

Attached below is the message I received from the pricing department. Thank
you.

Karen,
I checked with Dave VonDerGathen in Raleigh and we can not lower the price of these parts. These are low volume parts, which reflects the associated high carrying, and distribution expenses we must cover. Please pass this on to the customer.
Thank you for your help,
Susan
Parts Pricing

Karen Schrader
JDParts.deere.com
Deere & Company
e-mail. schraderkaren@johndeere.com

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-11          37307

Mark:
the message you received from Susan in Parts Pricing was obviously truncated -- the last line was no doubt lost in the transfer thru Ms Schrader. So here's what got dropped:

"And besides, our wheels are genuine John Deere Yellow"

...glad to help.
jim ....

Discount JD Parts

View my Photos
Peters

2002-04-12          37333

Having needed resuscitation at the JD part counter more than once and one time for the rims, I understand the price problem. I am not sure I could explain why.
The classic trick used by Honda and other Japanese manufactures is to sell the vehicle at a very small margin or loss and then make your money on the parts. Honda would change the parts on a standard bike like the 750K so that only the parts for that year would match. This made it a nightmare for the small dealership as you never had the correct part. A company like Nissan charges outragous prices for the parts in stock (0-5 years old), claiming that they are stock items and they garanty that they will be available. After 5 years?
So JD must provide their tractor for less right?
One of the local dealers sell nothing but the small tractors. I asked him to give me the best quote on an ordered tractor before I bought my last one. He was about 3K over the NH.
I guess that I have never seen a JD dealer go broke, no matter how poorly it was run.
I guess I would stock it up to the HD syndrome, brand loyalty with no logic.
I have had two used JD compact tractors, only because I found them at prices thousands less than anything comparable. I don't go looking all that often but?
Finally I can not explain parts pricing or logic behind it any easier than I could explain the logic behind drug pricing. Sometime I think it is simply charge as much as the idiot will pay. For example I lost a small center hub cap from my new pickup, the price for this piece of chromed plastic in the states was 59$ list price. When I was in Canada last the same part was 39$ list price. With exchange the part is less than 1/2 price. As the part is made in the states, why? The dealer in Canada said that they sold very few of those trucks there, but they are common here. Unfortunately he did not stock it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login