Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
StephMartu@aol.com
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-10          35455

I purchased a JD 4400 (sync reverser), new, in the spring of 1999 - after having many many problems with everthing from the clutch, transmission, reverser, hyd leaks, etc - deere finally replaced it with another, new 4400 in the spring of 2000. It cost me $1,000 bucks. The "new" 4400 has had "less problems" but has been back for clutch problems and has to go back again. I am so dissapointed in the 4400 I would never recomend anyone purchasing a new JD compact tractor of any model number. In fact, I feel I am saddled with a very expensive piece of junk and wont every buy another new deere product again - and believe me, I have purchased many deere products for our farm operation over the years

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-02-11          35480

So what would you buy in a compact size tractor? ....

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
maxI also have a joh

2002-02-11          35481

I also have a john Deere 4400 hydro 2000 model and it is the worst tractor I have ever had
Nothing but problems. The power steering pump leaks the 3pt leaks down even with the valve closed.
Dealer said it’s within specs. The hydro pump is very noisy. I looked up the name on the rockshaft cover and it’s made in turkey. The aluminum axle housing leaked.
This is the last john Deere tractor I will ever buy.

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
StephMartu@aol.com

2002-02-11          35484

Bee Farmer

There are other John Deere Compact Tractors other than the 4000 series.
What to buy depends totaly on what you want to do with it, and, if you want new or used, for example, if you want a backhoe on it, I would stick with a manual transmission like the 790 or 990 (if buying new). If your mowing large yards, or using the loader alot you may want to look at a used 755 or 855 (hydro transmissions.
There are a lot of good used John Deere Compacts out there. I owned a 755 and then a 770 before the 4400 - I wish I had either of those tractors back. The 755 I purchased new - used it for 10 years amd 4,000 hours and sold it for only $ 1,000 less than I paid if for new.
I noticed quite a few folks consider their compact tractors toys, however I use our tractor daily for our business. I just can't afford down time, costly repairs or other bs, time really is money, thats why I went for new and the 4400. Unfortunatly, I simply cannot rely on it.

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-02-11          35487

How about the new versions coming out which would be the 4410 model. Have you heard any thing on that unit that might make you rethink your decision not to have another JD compact? ....

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
StephMartu@aol.com

2002-02-11          35495

I did'nt say "I would not buy another Deere Compact Tractor". In fact, I stated that I had owned other Deere Compacts that I were extremely good products. Thats why I moved into the 4400 in the first place - previous Deere machines had performed extremely well for me

As for the 4410 - I dunno, I have not seen one or even read about them other than on here. I don't just stop in to chat with my dealer anymore - he actually runs when I come in the door. The experiences with the 4400 over the past 3 years has really caused some hard feelings

I am an open minded individual and a die hard Deere owner. There has not been anything but Deere since the late 30's with my grand dads GP. So it stands to reason that I would take a hard look. I would also "look" a lot closer, e.g. not just rely on the brand name and rep for the 4 10 series to be good machines, because Deere says they are.

I would not, however, give another chance, to the 4000 series

John Deere 4400

View my Photos
StephMartu@aol.com

2002-02-11          35497

yes - I did say, I would not recomend or purchase another Deere Compact Tractor. Sorry for the misstatement in a moment of pure anger at Deer and Company

I had expressed that after going out to do some work with the 4400 yesterday.

After warming it up, pushing in the clutch and putting it in gear - I picked my foot up off the clutch but the clutch did not come back up and engage. I was ticked. Seems there is a return spring that decided to go. Of course, that has nothing to do with the problem with the clutch not always engaging when shifting from forward to reverse or reverse to forward - according to the dealer "there really isnt anything they can find wrong".

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login