Go Bottom Go Bottom

False fuel gauge reading on 4200

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-12          34484

I bought a used 4200 MFWD and found the fuel gauge is always reading with the needle in the red zone (pretty embarrassing when I rushed to get fuel and couldn't squeeze even two gallons in). Even with the tank full the gauge didn't budge. Any ideas as to whether it's more likely the gauge or the sending unit? I'm new to all this (never even had a tractor before). How might I check to see which it might be? Is this too big a job for a newbie like me to try? Thanks for all your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-13          34496

Dang! There's a long discussion on the same subject in the archives, but I couldn't come up with a key word to find it with a search. Maybe somebody can find the old thread. I'm working through the test site, and like the new search page. It might be my imagination but the search, and maybe everything, seems faster.

A fuel gauge problem may be a good excuse to get a repair manual, which will provide wiring diagrams and procedures, for this and anything else that goes wrong. The general idea in testing fuel gauges is determining if the problem is wiring, the gauge or the sender. A constant voltage devise would be a less common problem.

Manual procedures should be followed. A manual may indicate that the gauge can be tested by disconnecting the wiring and putting a 9V battery across the gauge--it should read full. A VOM can be used to test the wiring for voltage, but you don't necessarily expect 12V battery voltage at all points. On some tractors, a sunken float can be detected by hooking it on a wire through the fill cap and pulling it up.

View my Photos
D.Hunt

2002-01-13          34504

I recently purchased a ull service manual on this modrl tractor from John Deere. It covers all testing procedures in detail. The manual and shipping cost was $83.00 US. I beieve this will answer any questions about servicing. I love my 4200 so far. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-13          34511

I saw a factory service bulletin last week when I was visiting my friendly neighborhood John Deere dealer. It outlined a problem with the sending unit for the fuel gauge on the 4200 through 4700 models. I got the impression that the factory would authorize repairs even on older tractors that may be out of warranty. I would certainly check with a dealer before spending money on this problem. ....

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-13          34514

Not only are your suggestions to get a service manual good, but also already taken. I have a service manual en route that I got along with an owner's manual on Ebay last week for a total of $47.00 including shipping. Thanks for your help. I had no idea how detailed the service manual is. It sure sounds like I ought to wait until it arrives before I dive into this (or decide not to by myself). ....

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-13          34518

Thanks for that, Mark. We must've been posting at the same time as I missed yours on the board but then got the email. In any event, I'll certainly check with the Deere dealer on this. I'd be happy to just get the part free. Without a trailer, it's about more effort to get my tractor there for 'free' work as it's worth. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Jerry Timpe

2002-01-14          34554

Check your float first. I have a 4400 and sometimes it read OK other times it would stick at one level. Bent the float bar a little to keep the float away from the side of the tank and haven't had a problem since. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login